Skills and qualifications
As an accountant you need to be analytical. You may have to analyze certain discrepancies on a balance sheet or income statement.
Most accountants are detail oriented. Accountants have to compile a lot of figures to construct balance sheets and income statements. Having the ability to compile a lot of information and then interpret the meaning is something an accountant will have to do on a regular basis
Accountants should have good computer skills that they have acquired over the course of their education and professional experience. Most of the work will be performed on a computer.
Having good math skills are another skill that an accountant will have to utilize daily. This all goes back to having a love for numbers.
As an accountant you will need excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Sometimes you will be required to communicate with upper management as well as other employees within an organization.
If you want to become an accountant you will need to have a four year degree, Bachelor of Science, in accounting.
- Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.
- Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries.
- Pays vendors by monitoring discount opportunities; verifying federal id numbers; scheduling and preparing checks; resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation; insuring credit is received for outstanding memos; issuing stop-payments or purchase order amendments.
- Pays employees by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests for advances; preparing checks.
- Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
- Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.