Duncan Creek Elementary
As this is the first newsletter of 2020, let me take a moment to wish all of you a Happy New Year! I hope your winter break was filled with memorable times with family and friends.
February is a month packed with learning and fun. Duncan Creek events for February include:
- February 14th – Snow Make Up Day (No School)
- February 14th – Father/Daughter Dance at MCHS 6:30pm
- February 17th – Teacher Workday
- February 19th & 20th – Early Release Days (Parent-Teacher Conferences)
- February 25th – Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
It is very hard to believe we are already at the point to begin planning for the 2020-2021 school year. One of the major tasks before us is the formation of classes for next year. You are welcome to submit a form containing information to help us make the best match for your child. Please submit all forms by February 18th. This will be a firm deadline. The link to the form is available HERE, on the school website and hard copies are available at the front lobby desk.
We are now in the second half of the school year. Please try to make sure your child is at school every day. We have so much teaching and learning to do that cannot be replicated when a child is absent. We will continue to work hard and finish the year strong.
Duncan Creek Elementary is looking for Cafeteria Monitor Substitutes. If you are interested in being called upon in the event that one of our Cafeteria Monitors is absent, please reach out to Pegge Savage at 678-714-5809.
If you were called in, the hours would be 10:30-1:30 M-F. The pay is $15.00 per hour.
Follow us on Twitter
Duncan Creek ES is on Facebook!
Scan to opt-in for text updates from GCPS and DCES..or just text "YES" to 67587
Duncan Creek ES is on Facebook!
If you haven't set up your parent portal account, click here for information!
On the Web
Visit https://www.gcpsk12.org/duncancreekes for timely updates and information!
See important information from your child's teacher through your child's student portal. Class schedules, weekly newsletters, as well as educational links are all posted on this page! Many of our teachers even post daily homework! All you need is your child's username and password. Click for more information on eCLASS.
On the Web
Gwinnett County Public Schools’ (GCPS) 2019‐20 school calendar includes two make‐up days to address school days missed due to inclement weather. In addition to these days, GCPS also has the option of using Digital Learning Days to make up days missed due to inclement weather. Should a decision be made to cancel school, students, parents, and staff will be notified of the closing and if the day is a Digital Learning Day.
How will it work for students?
- · On the day that school has been canceled, teachers will post assignments on their eCLASS C&I course pages. High school assignments will be posted by 8 a.m. Elementary school assignments will be posted by 9 a.m. And, middle school assignments will be posted by 10 a.m.
- · Students will use the MyeCLASS student portal to log in to their eCLASS C&I course pages where they will access assignments, resources, and other materials. If the power is out, a student may access the teacher’s course page when power returns. If a student does not have access to a computer or device (tablet, smartphone, etc.), the student can get the assignment once school resumes.
- · Student work will be expected to be turned in to the teacher (either digitally or in person), using a school’s process for turning in work following an absence. For example, if your school allows students to turn in work two days after a missed day, the Digital Learning Day assignments would be due two days after classes resume.
- During the school year, teachers will share additional information with students about Digital Learning Days, including how they will support student learning during the day. (For example, some teachers may set up a discussion board while others may use online conference tools or be available via phone.)
Parents and students who need a refresher course on how to access eCLASS C&I course pages can go to the following web page for helpful resources and information:
-Father/Daughter Dance- Friday February 14th from 6:30-8:30 at Mill Creek High School
-Chick-Fil-A spirit night 5pm-8pm February 25th
(Mention you are there to support Duncan Creek Elementary!)
Collection Drive through 1/31 for homeless shelter (There is a box set up in the front lobby for all donations)
Donations Needed: toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, bandaids, gloves, 100% cotton socks, mouthwash, baby wipes, and more...
PTA is in need of a Nominating Committee
Volunteer opportunities available. Email email@example.com if you are interested in helping with PTA.