Sebastian River Times
Dear SRMS Families,
On behalf of the SRMS faculty and staff, we cannot thank you enough for the wonderful first four weeks of school! The staff has worked very hard preparing for the opening of school and they have done an excellent job. The students did an outstanding job learning the expectations and they are already in a routine that will provide a year of increased student achievement.
We are pleased to announce the following events happening on Wednesday, September 14th:
- Annual Title I Parent Night at 5:00 p.m.
- Open House from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
There will also be opportunities to learn how to join PTSA, Parent Teacher Student Association, and SAC, School Advisory Council.
In the meantime, please visit our school website at www.srms.indianriveschools.org as well as our school Facebook and Twitter pages to stay current on all the SRMS announcements and happenings.
Just a reminder, masks are optional for all students and staff at this time. We do encourage you to practice appropriate distancing when possible.
School Start Time
Supervision of students begins at 7:30 a.m. Please do not drop students off prior to 7:30
From 7:30-7:50, students may eat breakfast in the cafeteria or wait in their holding area (gym for grades 6 and 7, Cowboy Courtyard for 8th grade)
At 7:55, Mr. Racine will offer the morning announcements, and at 8:00 a.m. classroom instruction begins. Your student's daily, on-time attendance is very important to his/her success at SRMS.
If you need to call to excuse your student's absence, the number is 564-5123. Absences must be called in within 48 hours. You may also send a note in with the student, or email the school secretary, April Gehrke at email@example.com.
Please encourage your students to take care of these devices as they would any piece of valuable electronic equipment. There is a financial obligation attached if the device is damaged, destroyed, or lost, so this is an excellent opportunity to promote responsible care for borrowed items.
If you have questions at any time during the year about your student's device, please contact Assistant Principal, Jeramy Keen at Jeramy.Keen@indianriverschools.org.
Student Email Access
School Bus Transportation
Please remind your students that they are expected to be respectful and follow directions while on board our buses. Students risk losing the privilege of ridership if they violate safety and security measures put in place by the driver.
Back to school can be a really expensive time of year. If you are in need of school supplies, please complete this form. We have many generous benefactors who have donated items to school for our families with financial need. The only thing they ask in return is that you pay it forward when you have an opportunity.
SRMS Dress Code
In the interest of student safety, students may not wear ANY backless shoes or slides. This includes flip-flops. Crocs may be worn ONLY if the strap is firmly in place across the heel.
A few items to take special note of:
- Pants should be worn at the waist.
- Shoulders should be covered.
- Abdomen should be covered.
- Sleepwear (pajamas) should not be worn.
- Skirts/shorts etc. should extend beyond finger length or mid-thigh.
- Hats/hoods are not permitted.
Breakfast and Lunch Menus
*A family application for school meal benefits must be submitted this school year. Parents, please be advised of the following important information:
- Parents are to fill out ONE APPLICATION PER HOUSEHOLD.
- The completed paper application may be returned to the front office or the cafeteria of the school.
- Online applications can be completed using the website, https://family.titank12.com. Applications completed online will be processed within 5 business days.
- Students who received free or reduced-priced meal benefits last year will begin the new school year with the same meal status.
- A new application must be submitted and processed prior to the September 21st expiration date in order for meal benefits to continue.
- It is highly encouraged to complete this form as it provides additional benefits to you and the district such as grants, program funding, athletic waivers, and textbooks assistance, among others.
- Please call (772) 564-4983 with any questions you may have.
Visit this link to see what's served each day. *** Be sure to select Sebastian River Middle School from the drop-down menu at the top.
Our cafeteria opens daily at 7:30 a.m. After finishing breakfast, students should move directly to either the gym (6th and 7th grade) or the Cowboy Courtyard (8th grade). Students should not be in the halls or visiting teachers' classrooms at this time.
Did Your Student Forget Lunch?
UPCOMING CALENDAR NOTES:
- Reading iReady Standards Mastery: Wednesday, September 7th during ELA classes
- Math iReady Standards Mastery: Thursday, September 8th during Math classes
- IRC Substance Abuse and Awareness Classes: September 12th to October 24th
- Picture Day: Tuesday, September 13th during Social Studies classes
- Title I Annual Parent Night: Wednesday, September 14th at 5:00 p.m
- Open House: Wednesday, September 14th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m
- After-school Tutoring begins on September 13th from 3:00-4:15 p.m. Transportation is available. Email Mia Johnson or call (772) 564-5124 for more information
- Reading iReady Diagnostic: Tuesday, September 27th
- Math iReady Diagnostic: Wednesday, September 28th
Starting in October...
TRIO Educational Talent Search Program
The ultimate goal of the ETS Program is to assure that our participants graduate from high school, apply to and enter the college of their choice, secure financial aid/scholarships to pay for their college education and graduate with a postsecondary educational credential.
Incoming 7th graders need to have their T-dap Immunizations before starting 7th grade. Please check with your health care provider to find out if your child needs their immunization and to get a copy of their Immunization Record to turn in to our school's Health Assistant. Your Health Assistant is Mrs. Jennifer Shoepef. She can be reached at 564-5198 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need to discuss your student's medical needs with Nurse Schoepf, please call or email to make an appointment. Walk-in meetings will not be allowed.
Download the PBIS Rewards Parent App!
You can download the app and see how many credits your student is earning, and from which teacher, and what they are buying with their credits. If you've ever struggled to come up with some dinnertime conversation, this is a great way to engage your student..."I see you earned 25 Cowboy Credits today in Mrs. Dotson's class...what did you do to get those?' Or, "Are you saving up your Cowboy Credits to buy something big?"
Code of Conduct Forms
Below are all of the Code of Conduct forms you need, in English and Spanish.
If you are interested in joining our SAC, contact email@example.com. SAC membership needs are dependent on student enrollment demographics.
If you are interested in volunteering at SRMS, contact Nichole Garrick with your areas of interest and availability.