at Saint Peters University Hospital
Before a surgery, the anesthesiologist should meet with the patient to gain the medical history and to make an anesthetic plan for the patient based on their history. An anesthesiologist must be able to administer the proper amount of anesthesia for a patient and continuously monitor the patient's vitals during the operation. If something goes wrong during the surgery, the anesthesiologist must be able to remain calm and help the surgeon to fix the problem. Immediately after surgery, the anesthesiologist must be with the patient and help the patient manage their pain. Working in a hospital at all times is extremely strenuous and requires extreme hard work.
- Must have completed medical school
- Must pass MCAT and USMLE
- Must be board certified
- Must have prior work experience in anesthesiology
- Must be educated in human anatomy
- Must know how to administer anesthesia
- Starting salary for anesthesiologists is $250,000 per year. With more experience, the pay can go to $300,000 to $450,000 per year.
- Anesthesiologists are expected to work 60 hours per week.