M-4 Sherman Workhorse
Allied Forces Have Answer for the Panzers of Germany.
Summary of Event
The Sherman had many innovative features like a jet engine that provided the speed but consequently caused fires when it got hit. Also a barrel that self adjusted to bumps as you where driving was added. The turret was made to be able to turn 360° around other tanks like the M-3 Grant could only move 15° side to side. The Allies realized that the short barrel 75mm gun was to small of a gun so their fix was the Firefly a British 76.2mm canon it was added to the Sherman, but never mass produced. The Sherman was customizable the Allies could put plows to clear mine field and blades to brake barricades.
FIRST HAND ACCOUNT
FACTS AND STATISTICS
- Tank Crew typically was 5-6 soldiers
- The tank was involved in all campaigns after 1941
- They where designed to be mass produced in US factories
- They produced 4 Sherman tanks for 1 Axis tank in WWII
- The Sherman Tank was used for more than fighting it uses were bulldozers, mine clearer, troop transporter, and recovery unit.
"Tank Encyclopedia, the First Online Tank Museum." Tanks Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.
Development and Operational History, Performance Specifications and Picture Gallery." M4 Sherman
"M4 Furious – 11 Essential Facts About the Sherman Tank." Militaryhistorynowcom. N.p., 22 Oct. 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.
Myths Surrounding the M4 Sherman - Knowledge Glue." Knowledge Glue. N.p., 23 Feb. 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.
"Sherman Tank." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2016.