FAC Weekly Update
October 11, 2019
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week! I think we can all agree that the Fall weather is most welcome - cooler temperatures are a few weeks overdue, though things are really beginning to heat up at the FAC. Some highlights from this week include...
- Visual Arts Portfolio Day -- thank you to the Faculty for organizing this opportunity for our students, and congratulations to our students on their phenomenal displays of work. The visiting college representatives were extremely impressed!
- Some of our PM Dance Students participated in a masterclass at the Peace Center with the dance group Diavolo. Along with students from Anderson University, our FAC dancers learned new techniques in movement and collaboration.
- Visual Arts Senior Trip to Penland -- thank you Ms. Dauscha and Ms. King for planning a great trip for the Seniors! A fun and educational experience was had by all.
- The 2:25 Jazz Class Concert -- congratulations to our outstanding student-musicians, under the leadership of the incomparable Steve Watson, for their performance last night. The level of musicianship on display was extremely impressive!
- Nicholas Pallesen, transformative coach and mental performance specialist, held a lecture/workshop on performance anxiety, presenting our students with techniques on how to overcome it. Thank you to Ms. Knox for arranging this extremely helpful learning experience for our students!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
“I know of no single formula for success…but over the years I have observed that some attributes of leadership are universal and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm, and their inspiration to work together.”
- Queen Elizabeth II
Congratulations - Region Orchestra Members!
- Braden Anderson, Cello
- Abigail Byrd - Bass (Principal)
- Gabriel Boyd - Viola
- Allie Jennings- Bass
- Ellis McLarty - Cello
- Philip Rawlinson - Viola (Principal)
- Will Rawlinson - Cello (Principal)
- Nadia Rhodes - Viola
- Julia Rhyne - Violin (Concertmaster)
The Region Orchestra concert is on November 16 at Anderson University. More details to come!
Thank You for Your Assistance!
We greatly appreciate all of the donations of tissues and Ziploc bags! We are all set for this year and would like to thank everyone for their generosity.
Support our FAC Students and Faculty!
- LAST CHANCE - Warehouse Theatre - The Crucible - https://warehousetheatre.com/shows/the-crucible/, Directed by Jayce Tromsness (husband of FAC Theatre Faculty, Anne Tromsness)
- Greenville County Youth Orchestra - Fall for Music - Thursday, October 24, 7:30 p.m., Gunter Theater - featuring FAC Students and our own Jennifer John (Chamber Strings Director) as Conductor/Soloist! - https://www.peacecenter.org/events/detail/20-gcyo-1
- Mater Dolorosa: Recent Work by April Dauscha (Visual Arts Faculty) - Opening Reception - Friday, November 1, 6-7:30 p.m., Thompson Art Gallery @ Furman University
Did we miss anything that features our students? Please email Mr. Popat with information.
Application Portal is OPEN
ATTENTION ALL FRESHMEN, SOPHOMORES, and JUNIORS!
All FAC Students must apply yearly for admission to the Fine Arts Center. The application for the 2020-2021 School Year is now available on our website - http://www.fineartscenter.net. The application closes on December 20, so please be sure to handle this task ASAP. Kindly note that there are some open-ended questions on the application that our returning students need to complete. We expect our students to reflect on the questions and respond thoughtfully.
Educators Who Make a Difference - ONE MORE WEEK!
Upstate Parent magazine is seeking nominations for their annual “Educators Who Make a Difference” edition. Nominations must be made using the online form found here. Please submit your nominations by October 18. You may nominate more than one person but may not nominate the same person more than once. We hope that you will take this opportunity to recognize our phenomenal Faculty!
Want to help raise funds for the Fine Arts Center? Simply shop at Publix! Click on the following link for directions and information - https://corporate.publix.com/community/corporate-campaigns/publix-partners.
Friday Studio Access
Studio access will end on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. This applies to all Fridays. Please be sure that you have wrapped up your activities by that time and have arranged for prompt transportation.
Greenville County Schools - Financial Aid Workshops
Greenville County Schools has four Financial Aid Workshops available to parents. Please choose the date and location that best fits your schedule:
- October 7, 2019 • 6 PM, JL Mann High Academy
- October 14, 2019 • 6 PM, Travelers Rest High
- October 21, 2019 • 6 PM, Eastside High
- October 15: Recruiting Field Trip to League Academy - during the school day
- October 17: Strings Chamber Music Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall
- October 19: Voice Field Trip to SCNATS
- October 22: Visual Arts Field Trip to Atlanta
- October 23: Jazz Concert @ Genevieve's - 7:00 p.m.
- November 6: Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion Concert - 7:00 p.m., Recital Hall