Comparing By: Chris R. & Chris D.
Mercantilism vs Capitalism & Internet vs Colombian Exchange
The British had an empire to run and the way they were planning on doing it was by trading. British colonies were the moneymakers for their country. The British put restrictions on how the colonies spent money. They have limits on what they can produce, whose ships they could use, and who they could trade to. The Navigation Act, (All European goods who were getting shipped to America had to be shipped through England,) is an act that lead to rebellions and corruption in the colonies. Smugglers eventually started to bring in goods from others and they would bribe the officials so they would get food and money from both sides. Taxes were created and horrified certain colonists.
- It was made to enrich countries.
- Made to achieve a favorable balance of trade.
- To maintain domestic employment.
- There's always a risk of local raw materials running out.
- The system is quite inefficient.
- It encourages the hoarding of resources.
- Economic freedom helps political freedom.
- There are no better alternatives.
- Companies can create their own prices for their own goods.
- Abuse of the system- people take advantage of the freedom
- It creates a money-oriented economy- tend to focus to much on money making
- It doesn't create an equal opportunity for all.
Used to contact friends, family, and meet new people. Created in the early 1960’s. We can make the internet whatever we want it to be, we can mold it, shape it, and connect to people. Over 100 million people have used the internet. The internet has revolutionized the communications world by making new concepts. They made the computer, radio, and telegraph which changed the world; it allows people from different sides of the world to communicate with each other.
- Communication with people all over the world.
- Information was relayed throughout the world quicker.
- Comfort- can almost buy anything over the internet.
- Addiction- everyone can't get off the internet or off games.
- Personal information can get stolen by hackers= identity theft.
- Things can travel around the internet so quick that sometimes shouldn't be spread around.
- It brought crops to and from Europe to America.
- Livestock was brought from Europe to America.
- Trading pigs was good for the Americans because they didn't have a main source of meat.
- The Europeans also brought many types of diseases to America, such as smallpox, measles, and malaria.
- Thousands of indians died through the diseases being transported to America.
- Human rights were abused by the slave trades.