News from Mrs. Hilcher- Principal of Grapevine Elementary
Week of September 18 - September 22
Can you believe it? This week already marks our fifth week of the 17-18 school year. We've had a fantastic start and appreciate the many ways you support your child(ren) and our school! Now that our awesome classroom teachers are starting to get into a groove, volunteer opportunities are picking up. We couldn't do our work without you all and are very thankful for the ways you make our school a great place to learn, grow and play. As a reminder, all GES volunteers must have a current volunteer background check completed. These can take at least ten business days to process. Before signing up to read with a class, to volunteer on campus, and/or to chaperone a field trip, please be sure that you've completed both steps of this process. For more information, scroll to the Volunteer Requirements section of this newsletter. We appreciate your cooperation with these district expectations for volunteers and look forward to seeing you around GES!!
School and Community Activity Fair and Ice Cream Social
- All visitors and volunteers at GES are required to present a government-issued picture ID to check-in with the front office. This applies to all lunch visitors, class readers, volunteers, and those checking students out for appointments. We cannot make exceptions to this district expectation. Please keep this in mind when bringing out of town family members to GES for special events. We appreciate your cooperation with all safety and security policies and procedures.
- Many GES after school clubs have started meeting! Club sponsors will be notifying parents of students who are registered and can attend. Please make special note of the end time of all clubs as they vary. Due to safety concerns, all students are dismissed in the back drive.
Parent Technology Academy
The Parent Technology Academy will be conducting presentations and classes on various topics including: family access classes, social media and apps to be aware of on your child's devices, ways to encourage proper usage of technology at home, understanding text lingo and the apps students use to communicate, as well as ways older students can promote themselves online to increase visibility for scholarships and more.
Please complete the following parent technology courses survey to provide feedback on what kind of classes you would like.
Parenting Workshop Offered at GES
Information from Nurse Mary
As part of the school health curriculum, GES will be presenting Puberty videos to 4th and 5th grade students on the following dates:
- 4th grade girls on Friday, January 19th
- 5th grade girls on Thursday, January 25th
- 5th grade boys on Friday, January 26th
If you would like to preview the videos, please refer to the following schedule to view them on Tuesday, October 3rd at the Administration Building. 3051 Ira E. Woods, Grapevine, TX 76051.
October 3, 2017 (9:30 AM – 11:30 AM)
Board Room (Girls)
October 3, 2017 (5:30 PM – 7:30 PM)
Board Room (Girls)
GES PTA Information
- The Auction Committee is looking for 1-2 people to be Grade Level Committee Members to coordinate Auction Baskets for the entire grade. You may recruit as much or as little help for your grade as you would like. Our goal is to ease the workload of the room parent by creating a separate committee.
- We also are in need of help collecting donations from individuals and companies. Please take a look at our sign up to sign up for both the committee and to help with individual donations! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f44aea62ea3ff2-2017
- Be sure to check your grade level newsletters for more information on grade level basket assignments and sign-ups!
Thursday, 9/21 PTA meeting/School and Community Activity Fair & ICE CREAM SOCIAL 6:30 PM
Monday, 9/25 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Tuesday, 9/26 Parenting Center workshop on Bullying (GES cafeteria @ 6:30 PM)
Thursday, 9/28 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM)
Friday, 9/29 GES Bank (Cafeteria 7:15-7:45 AM);
Monday, 10/2 Boots & Blue Day for anti-bullying
Thursday, 10/5 Choir (2:55-3:55 PM); WOW Club (2:55-4:50 PM)
Friday, 10/6 Student holiday - Professional Learning Day for staff
Monday, 10/9 Student/Staff holiday
Grade Level Newsletters
Opportunity for Registered Nurses
In order to volunteer at GES, or around GCISD, all volunteers must:
- read the Volunteer Handbook (this replaces the previous face to face volunteer trainings held on campus)
- watch the appropriate video included in the handbook
- electronically sign the verification Google form for each campus you plan to volunteer
- complete the volunteer background check. A link is included in the handbook.
The following link takes you to the online Volunteer Handbook and background check: http://www.gcisd-k12.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=474
When you are ready to volunteer at GES, feel free to call the front office at 817-251-5735 to verify that both of the required steps have been recorded as completed. We appreciate your support as you complete these steps and volunteer to work with our GES students.
Meet Our Outstanding GES Staff!
Follow Our Story
Follow the excitement on Twitter and Facebook:
- On Twitter follow:
Principal Mrs. Hilcher: @GESHilcher
Assistant Principal Mrs. Hale: @GESHale
Grapevine Elementary: @GESStars
Your favorite teacher: @GES[lastname]
All GES classrooms by checking our #GESshineon
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrapevineElementary