EDUCATION AROUND THE WORLD
Primary School: from 4 to 12 years old--> 8 years.
- The first two years are more like play school.
- From grade 3 onwards though they learn to read, write and do sums.
- In grade 4 they are aptitude tested to gain an indication of the secondary education stream they may follow.
- Many schools introduce English in grades 7 and 8.
When they are 12 , students then proceed directly to high school where they will follow one of several education models according to their aptitudes and the inclination of their parents.
This education models are the following:
Vmbo model : combines vocational education with academic subjects over a period of 4 years. Within this model there are several subdivisions ranging from preparation for leadership positions through to entirely practical training aimed at immediate job market compatibility. It is a prep school for vocational secondary education. Those who achieve the highest level can enter HAVO studies. VMBO graduates must continue studying until age 18 or until they obtain a basic qualification.
Havo has 5 grades aimed at promoting suitability for polytechnic tertiary education. Senior general secondary education. Provides entrance to higher professional education at vocational universities.
Vwo spans 6 years in total and is in theory sufficient qualification to enter university.Within this model there are further specializations such accenting classical languages, or developing artistic skills.Pre-university education. Prepares students for academic studies at a research university
TYPES OF SCHOOLS
- The main difference is that state schools don’t require students to have a certain religion or belief.
- Are open to all children.
- Are subject to public law and state-funded.
- Are governed by the municipality.
- Two thirds of Dutch children attend private schools.
- Classes are given from a religious point of view (e.g. Jewish, Islamic, Protestant) or pedagogical point of view (e.g. Montessori, Freinet, Jenaplan, Dalton).
- Are not set up by the state; Are run by the board of the association or foundation.
Just under a third of the 659 secondary schools are run by the public authority. English is a compulsory subject. VMBO pupils study one modern language and HAVO/VWO pupils at least two.
There isn't a national educational system
PERSONALIZED ATTENTION TO IMMIGRANT STUDENTS
To ensure that students from abroad arrived not lag behind the rest of students:
- They are assigned a coordinator who serves them full time and who are aware of their educational progress.
1. Secondary centers try to focus on the workplace.
2. Continuous evaluation is assessed.
3. Classroom diversity.
4. Importance to social and emotional education is given.