Open during Recess
What is a Makerspace?
Makerspaces (also known as Hackerspaces, Creative Spaces, Fab Labs, Makelabs)
Educause.edu defines a makerspace as a "physical location where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, network, and build. Makerspaces provide tools and space in a community environment."
Generally, makerspaces are designed to meet the following needs:
- Provide access to a wide variety of tools and technology;
- Facilitate group interaction, knowledge, and resource sharing;
- Supply access to physical space for individual project development;
- Provide an open environment for expression of creativity and innovation;
- Access to equipment for prototyping project ideas for companies.
Simply, a makerspace is a place where creativity comes together, is fostered and encouraged.
What will they use?
- Makey Makeys
Think of it as an extension of the STEM lab, BUT students will have the freedom to design with their own plans in mind.