Endangered Species Project
By: Jackie Rubalcava
Endangered Grizzly Bear: Global and Native to the U.S.
Grizzly Bears: Background
- Grizzly bears are both native to Texas and are global.
- They can come from Canada, many parts of the U.S., Mexico, small parts of Asia, and Northwest Territories south through most of British Columbia.
- Grizzly bears originated in Asia about 1.3 million years ago, being evolved from the Etruscan bears that were in Europe.
- So the Etruscan bear is the direct ancestor of the brown bear.
- The grizzly bear's range was reduced and destroyed by hunting, and trapping.
Grizzly Bear Sleeping in its Native Habitat
map but that's not all
They used to be in all these regions but since their population has decreased they are mainly found in N. America.
How it has changed from 1850 to 1920
Grizzly Bears: threats and solutions
- Grizzly bears are considered to be endangered in Canada.
- In 1975, when the Grizzly Bear came under the protection of the U.S. Endangered Species Act, only about 1,000 were left in the lower part of the U.S.
- 95% of them who live past the age of 2 die at the hands of humans from gunshots.
- Their main threats are humans and other bears. Humans are a great threat because of the great population increase.
- They are hunted as game and were illegally hunted by both landowners seeing them as a threat to their live stock and poachers wanting them for their hides.
- Some other threats include habitat loss and the salmon collapse.
- To protect this animal one could adopt a grizzly, and speak up for the wildlife.
- The solutions would be to decrease the human-cause mortality and protect their habitats.
- Even enforcing the Grizzly Bear Recovery Plan could help to increase the population.
"Grizzly Bear, Endangered Subspecies." enature.com. enature, n.d. Web. 6 December 2015.
Lachlei, M.B. "Where Did Grizzly Bears Originate?" animals.mom.me. Demand Media, n.d. Web. 6 December 2015.
MacDonald, Jason."Endangered Wildlife:Grizzly Bears." edu.pe.ca. Education, Early Learning and Culture, n.d. Web. 6 December 2015.