WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
September 13, 2020
Tuesday, Sep. 15th, 6-8pm
This is an online event.
Woodwind, Color Guard, Marching Percussion Rehearsal
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 3-5pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
This week, the Band program has a couple of exciting events planned for our students as we return to Outdoor Band! To prepare for these rehearsals, you should begin to hear some outdoor band-specific music filling your home as the students practice and prepare.
First, the Band Council is organizing a Virtual Ice-Breaker for this coming Tuesday evening, 9/15. I'm very excited for our students to have this opportunity to interact with each other, especially since we have been so seemingly separate for so long. The Ice-Breaker will begin at 6 PM and last until 8 PM Tuesday evening, and take place on Microsoft Teams. A Link to the Teams channel will be sent to the students Tuesday afternoon.
Second, we will begin welcoming more students to campus for after school, outdoor band rehearsals starting this Thursday, 9/17, beginning with the woodwind sections, Color Guard, and marching percussionists. As seen in the event above, rehearsals will begin at 3 PM to accommodate our LaunchED students traveling to campus and conclude at 5 PM. Students in the brass sections of the band will have rehearsals beginning next week. For guidelines on safety procedures for these rehearsals, please see last week's newsletter.
Students auditioning for All-State ensembles - please have your contracts completed and turned in no later than tomorrow, Monday, 9/14.
Step 3 Band Registration Forms are still incomplete/not turned in from a number of our Band families. Please take a moment to check the "Band Forms" grade for your student on Skyward. If the grade is showing as a "0," please complete the necessary forms ASAP and send them to the directors.
Looking forward to an exciting week!
From the Band Booster President
Week of September 13, 2020
Hello band families. It was nice to see those of you who came to the Zoom Band Booster meeting on Thursday! Please keep an eye on the Charms calendar and schedule for updates. Also, ad sales will be due on September 30, 2020, so please let us know if you have questions about how that works. A significant percentage of the ad sale/sponsorship goes to your student’s account, so it is an excellent way to engage our community to support the band. Although the concert schedule is still uncertain, we will have printed programs this year and also a digital version for the first time ever. Those who purchase full page ads or the highest sponsorship level will be recognized on the band’s website.
Please reach out if you have any questions.
Have a great week.
PARENT VOLUNTEERS - WE NEED YOUR HELP!
As the possibility exists for band activity at some point this school year, now is the time to either renew as an ADDitions volunteer or apply if you've never done so. It is easy to apply and get approved, and it is a requirement to sign up to volunteer at school. Be prepared to upload a photo and please be sure to read the Covid-19 Acknowledgment.
Follow this link at ocps.net:
- winterparkhsband.com > Click on the ADDitions icon in the center of the home page, just below the SchoolPay.com icon.
- *Click "Volunteer Now"
- Click on the "Additions Volunteers" round button
- Click "Volunteers" as the Opportunity Type
- Select the school of your choice. (Winter Park High)
- Select opportunity #1 called: "Become an ADDitions School Volunteer" (MUST BE THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY SELECTED) and then click "view details". Click "Sign up" Then either sign in if you already have an account or create a new Volunteer Profile account.
- Renewal Applicants can check their Dashboard for eligibility status. Everyone will need to answer or update your safety questions. Just follow the prompts. Then click "Previously Registered Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to search for volunteer opportunities outside of band. *Application is processed and subject to a background check
- If you're a new applicant, click "New Volunteer Next Steps" if you want to look for volunteer opportunities outside of band.
- If you only want to volunteer for band, there is no need to click the "Search for opportunities" link.
- If we become ready for volunteers, you can sign up for band opportunities on charmsoffice.com under "Parents/Students/Members", then enter the school code: WinterparkHSBand, enter your password, click "volunteer", then select an event and opportunity. At this time it is not necessary to sign up for anything. However, if you have a moment, it's helpful to walk through the steps of signing up so you are familiar with the process.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering or signing up with ADDitions, don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robyn Fodor - Band Volunteer Coordinator
PROGRAM ADS AND SPONSORS FUNDRAISER
SENIOR PARENTS: Try to gather photos asap if you would like to put something in the program this year for their senior.
The Band’s Concert Program is distributed, free of charge, at all concerts during the school year. In addition to pictures of the Band and information about its members, the Program also contains advertisements from local businesses and Band families. ***New this school year, there will be a digital edition of the program available to distribute.*** The sale of these ads is a great way for your student to raise money that will defray your financial obligations to the Band. The student’s Band account will be credited with 60% of the ad revenue that he/she sells, depending on the Band’s printing cost. Ana Nazarian is the parent volunteer in charge of the Concert Program. Her contact info is listed below.
Options for Ads/Sponsorship Sales:
- Local Business Ads: These are black and white ads of varying sizes (business card, ¼ page, ½ page or full page). A company should submit an electronic copy of its ad in a high-resolution format of at least 300 dpi or better. Acceptable files include: PDF, JPG, PNG, EPS and PSD. Email the file to email@example.com. We request the digital format of the ad be the actual size of the ad that you are purchasing. Two business cards are required for business card ads.
- Student Dedications: Parents and other family members of any grade level student may purchase ad space (¼, ½, or full) as a dedication to their student or student’s section. The same formatting and resolution requirements listed above apply to Student Dedication Ads. A great way to honor your student, any grade level but especially Seniors, and 60% goes back to you as fundraising credit!
- Sponsorships from local businesses or families: Sponsors are financial donors listed together on a single page in the program, according to the contribution level. If you know someone who would like to donate to the Band but does not own a business, this is a great way for them to show their support.
It’s Super Easy!!!
Steps for Selling a Band Program Ad:
- Upon initial contact with a business, provide the cover letter and order form. It is helpful to show potential advertisers a copy of last year’s Program. Copies are available in the band room.
- Once a company has agreed to purchase an ad or sponsorship, fill out the order form and obtain a signature from the company representative. The order form may also be used for Student Dedication Ads and Sponsorships.
- In one envelope labeled “Program Ad/Sponsor Sales,” please submit the order form, a check payable to “WPHS Band,” and a hard copy of the ad. The digital version of the ad should be emailed to Ana Nazarian, firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the student’s name and advertiser’s name in the subject line (i.e. re: John Smith, Acme Supplies, Inc.).
- Please submit all forms, ads, and payments by Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
- Forms are available on the Band’s website (winterparkhsband.com/band-boosters.html) for additional copies.
Questions? Contact Ana Nazarian at email@example.com or call 407-325-6167.
ALL-STATE AUDITION CONTRACTS DUE MONDAY, 9/14
All students who signed up for a audition for one or multiple 2020-2021 Florida All-State ensemble(s) should have received their audition contract on Friday, Sept. 11. These contracts are due to the Band office by the end of the school day tomorrow, Monday Sept. 14. All contracts must be physically signed by both the student and their parent/guardian - no electronic signatures accepted. Completed contracts may either be handed in during the student's Band period on Monday, or may be scanned (no pictures of forms accepted) and attached to an email sent to both Mr. Clemente and Mr. Smith.
Once contracts are received, Mr. Clemente will be setting up time after school for students to come in and have a "mock audition" opportunity. You should receive a scheduled appointment time by mid-week.
Please also make sure that you are preparing the correct music and scales for the All-State audition. Visit https://fba.flmusiced.org/all-state/audition-requirements/ to find the All-State Audition Requirements forms and read all directions thoroughly and carefully.
- ALL-STATE AUDITION MATERIALS - must be logged into OCPS account to view.
- September 25 - 26: 11/12 Symphonic Band Audition Window
- September 27 - 28: 9/10 Concert Band Audition Window
- October 2 - 3: Jazz Ensemble Audition Window
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have or to seek out help in preparation for your audition. Best of luck!
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW PARENT LIAISON
BAND FORMS PAST DUE - DUE MONDAY 8/24
Though there is a steady trickle of forms being completed, we are still missing completed forms from a number of our Band families. If you have not yet completed the final 4 forms, plus the two forms needed to participate in outdoor band activities and events, please read thoroughly below and have forms turned ASAP.
To complete your registration with the Winter Park Band program, each Band family must complete the following forms. These forms are separate from the Google registration form that families have filled out in either the spring or summer. The forms can be located on the Band website, or by clicking on the link below, in the form of a packet PDF. There forms are included in the packet:
Required Forms for all Band families:
- Financial Obligations Form 2020/2021 *revised as of 8/12/2020*
- Band Handbook Acknowledgement Form *revised as of 8/12/2020*
- Emergency Treatment Authorization Form
- OCPS Model Release Form
Required Forms for Outdoor Band:
- Band Physical Form (required for outdoor band this school year)
- Band COVID Release Form (required for outdoor band this school year)
The Band Handbook can be found on the Band website by clicking here.
Click these links to find the forms that must be completed:
Forms are now PAST DUE since Monday, August 24. Forms may either be printed at home, filled out, signed, and emailed back to Mr. Clemente and Mr. Smith as an attachment (PDF attachments preferred) OR turned in as a hard copy to the Band office. Hard copies of the packets will be available for pick-up in the Band office on Friday, 8/21, for students either coming to school for F2F instruction or those who do not have access to a printer at home.
If you are having a technology issue and have not yet reached out to the school about resolution, please email Mr. Steffey at Donald.Steffey@ocps.net to set up an appointment at school for your computer to be looked at. Email should be sent as soon as you read this!
As a reminder, students are considered present in their LaunchED class if they:
- Joined the call before the tardy bell.
- Have their camera on the entire class period.
- Are able to be seen, face and instrument, in the camera view.
- Participate in class from bell to bell.
Students who do not have their camera on for the duration of class, and we have not received an email from the school stating awareness of the issue and work towards it being resolved, will be marked absent.
Thank you for your work to resolve these technology issues!
To access CANVAS, students will visit launchpad.ocps.net and enter their student login information. Then, click on the CANVAS icon. Navigate to your dashboard and find your band and/or jazz class.
FINANCES & CHARMS
Past Due Band Payments
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/5
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $25.00 Due 8/19
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE