Weekly News & Updates - PARENT EDITION September 10th 2021
A Note from Principal Suhl
I hope that you have a great weekend! We are very excited to get the rest of our fall sports programs kicked off this next week and we hope that you can join us. We also are looking for more parent involvement to make this an amazing school year so please reach out if you are interested. We have great opportunities for you to be involved and we will have committees and organizations such as PTA and SBDM for you to be involved so that we can get your input in your child's education.
We have had a great week as our students successfully completed their MAP tests for Reading, Math and Science this past week and now our teachers are going to be working hard to analyze that data and make individualized plans for your scholar so that we can accelerate their learning.
We also are finalizing our plans and our students will be officially sorted into their houses (Altruismo, Amistad, Isibindi, and Reveur). Our sorting ceremony will occur in Advisory on September 20th and then we will have house meetings on Tuesday through Friday during that week so that all houses can have their first house meeting with their whole house. We will be sharing out more information next week, but please reach out if you have any questions. Thank you!
Alex W. Spence Middle School & TAG Academy
Alex W. Spence Middle School & TAG Academy
Our Mission: The mission at Spence is to strengthen scholars’ agency, creativity, and problem-solving skills with Project Based Learning and Design Thinking, equipping them with the expertise required to meet the needs of an ever changing, culturally diverse world.
- September 11th - Molina XC Meet MS at Jesse Owens (8am-1pm)
- September 14th - Progress Reports Issued to Students
- September 14th - SBDM Meeting (5:30pm)
- September 14th - Softball A Team game Spence VS Franklin at Conrad HS (6:30pm)
- September 14th - Football game Spence VS Franklin @ Franklin Field (6:00pm)
- September 15th - Hispanic Heritage/ Attendance Awareness Month: College Day
- September 16th - Softball B Team game Spence VS Long at Forester 1 (6:30pm)
- September 18th - TJ XC Meet MS at Fair Park near Conrad HS 1pm
- September 20th - Football game Spence VS Rusk at Loos Stadium (6:00pm)
- September 21st - Softball A Team game Tasby VS Spence at Tasby (6:30pm)
- September 22nd - Attendance Awareness Month: Wear your Favorite Color Day
- September 23rd - Softball game B Team Franklin VS Spence at Hillcrest HS (6:30pm)
- September 24th - Coffee with the Principal (9:00am)
- September 25th - Fam Jam Virtual Event (8:30-12:00pm)
- September 27th to 30th - Common Assessments in all Core Subjects
- September 27th - Football game Marsh VS Spence at Loos Stadium (6:00pm)
- September 28th - Softball A Team game Spence VS Rusk at Forester 3 (6:30pm)
- September 29th - Attendance Awareness Month: Celebrity Day
- September 29th - Progress Reports Issued to Students
Join the PTA!
Next week students will learn about post-secondary educational opportunities during "Education Go Get It Week."
Join in on the fun every Wednesday in September for Attendance Awareness Month’s Weekly Spirit Days!
Face Coverings Required
Effective Tuesday, August 10, to protect staff and students from the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus, Dallas ISD is temporarily requiring all staff, students and visitors to wear masks when on district property.
While Dallas County is in Level Red, campus visitors and volunteers are not allowed. We will continue utilizing virtual meeting options to limit campus visitors. All visitors who enter the building will be required to wear a face covering and those who proceed beyond the reception area will follow specific guidelines for visitors.
Spence Administrative Team
6th grade Cohort Principal
7th grade Cohort Principal
8th grade Cohort Principal
SPENCE COUNSELING TEAM
6th grade Counselor
7th grade Counselor
8th grade Counselor
Leadership Contact Information
Reset Center Coordinator
Dallas ISD’s Top 4
These are the 4 things parents should know about the 2021-2022 school year. See the attachment for more info!
- #1: We are back to 100% in-person learning
- #2: There are no virtual options for students moving into next school year (other than the Hybrid Prep program at Hay)
- #3: Dallas will keep the nine-week grading periods
- #4: Dallas ISD now has three calendars (Spence is the BASE calendar, and it is attached here)
2021-2022 Dress Code
We heard that the shirts are taking a while to arrive. So until you get the shirts, your student can wear a no-logo polo shirt or another nice shirt. They must wear dress code pants and shoes every day.
Car Rider Transportation Information
Bus Transportation Information
If you are a TAG student,
- Find the bus route that works best for your family at tiny.cc/tagbus
- Complete THIS FORM to formally register for the route. Please note that with the bus driver shortage, no additional routes can be added.
If you are a student that is zoned for Spence (including TAG students zoned for Spence),
- Mark "yes" for needing transportation when you register
- Go to tiny.cc/smsbus and click "Tyler's Versatrans e-Link System."
- Log in using your student's ID number for the username and your student's birthday (mm/dd/yyyy) for the password.
- Click "work with students", "view my students", and your student's name to see their route information.
If you are a student that lives within a two mile radius of Spence, transportation is not provided.
Please refer to dallasisd.org/transportation or call 972-925-4BUS (972-925-4287) for more information.
For technology needs (troubleshooting, returns, exchanges, applications, password resets, etc.), please contact our information technology department (972-925-5630) or visit one of the Dallas ISD Tech Centers below between 8am and 4pm.
- Central Support Center: 9400 N. Central Expy., Dallas Texas 75231
- South Support Center: 4949 Village Fair Dr., Dallas Texas 75224
- North Support Center: 13420 Midway Rd, Dallas, TX 75244
- Madison Support Center: 3000 Martin Luther King Jr., Dallas TX 75215
Updated Parent Contact Information Survey
CHECK HERE FOR ALL OF THE NEWS AND UPDATES FOR SCHOLARS IN THE SPENCE TAG ACADEMY!
TAG Bus Routes
- Find the bus route that works best for your family
- Complete THIS FORM to formally register for the route
If you live in the Spence zoning area, you will need to use the Tyler's Versatran's e-Link System to find your bus route. If you live within a 2 mile radius of Spence, transportation is not provided.
Please note that with the bus driver shortage, no additional routes can be added. If you have any questions regarding the bus stops, please visit dallasisd.org/transportation or call 972-925-4BUS (972-925-4287).