Moreau Heights Elementary
Giving our students HOPE for a better tomorrow one skill at a time!
Culturize: To cultivate a community of learners by behaving in a kind, caring, honest, and compassionate manner in order to challenge and inspire each member of the school community to become more than they ever thought possible.
The first Core Principle to support a positive culture is : Champion for Students.
- Our students need us to persevere when we might be deterred by a lack of short-term results, keeping the long-term success of students in mind, even when they reject our efforts.
- Begin a champion for all students means just that: all students. Not just ones who are likeable and want help but also the ones who might resist our efforts.
- Students need someone to take notice of their skills and then provide them with the strategies and an understanding of how to use those skill sets to thrive.
- Getting to know our students on a personal level, such as interests, fears, and talents is vital to creating a classroom culture where every child feels valued and understood.
- Allow your students to get to know YOU. What drives you to do what you do? What gets you up in the morning and pushes you to want to teach? It is important that students know our core principal so they know what to expect.
- Create an environment where students get to know one another. Taking time to invest in activities that allow students to regularly interact with one another will help us to achieve the classroom culture of excellence.
- Our students deserve our VERY BEST and we need to continue to fight for every one of them, even if we know full well we can't save them all.
The PBS lesson focus this week is Responding to Adults - Accepting "No" for an Answer.
Our Second Steps. . .
I have listed below what SHOULD be the next lesson for each grade level. I will leave this the same for the next full week to allow time to review what is needed for PBS.
Kindergarten- Managing Frustration
1st grade - Strong Feelings
2nd grade - Handling Making Mistakes
3rd grade - Handling Accusations
4th grade - Managing Anxiety
5th grade - Resisting Revenge
Character Trait for January is Motivation/Hardworking
Have a colleague who you would like to see recognized for making a positive difference? Here is the link to complete a nomination.
Calendar of Events
Monday, January 21
*No School - Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday
Tuesday, January 22
*Literacy discussions during team plan
*IEP mtg for EB (Mantle, Hutchison, Haugen) 3;30
Wednesday, January 23
*Major Saver reward limo ride and pizza
*IEP mtg for LL (Reece, Hutchison, Sexton, Gragg, Lock, Haugen/Day) 11:00
*Staff meeting 3:45 - 4:45 (all staff)
Thursday, January 24
*Principal Mtg 1:00 - 3:30 (Sue at BOE)
*Tier 2 mtg 3:45
Friday, January 25
- 8:30 grades 3-5
- 9:40 grades k-2
*IEP mtg TE (Farmer, Steuber, Humphreys, Lueckenhoff, Lock, Watts-Hayes, Haugen/Day) 10:30
Tuesday, January 29
*8:30 - 9:15 Show-Me Players for 4th and 5th grade performance in gym
Wednesday, January 30
*Specials Collaboration 7:45 - 8:15
*Staffing for ZU (James, Haugen/Day, Steinman, Ewing, Lock) 10:15
*Staffing for DW (Boeckman, James, Haugen/Day, Ewing) 2:15
*PBS team mtg 3:45
Thursday, January 31
*School Culture team mtg 3:45
*Cultural Diversity/Engagement PD session 3:45
Friday, February 1
*IEP for AH (Gaines, Farmer, Haugen/Day, Humphreys, Lock, Lueckenhoff) 2:15
Worth the Read!
- Looking for ways to create an environment where fewer problem behaviors are likely to occur?
- Looking for a fun "pick me up"?
This is the link to a revised communication log for your team collaboration. The expectation is that your team will complete each week.
Dr. Day's Update
Please remember to be very intentional about handing out charger cash. When handing out cash, make sure you are giving specific feedback to students about why they earned the charger cash.
It's important to have a menu that students are shopping from consistently. Some teachers are having students shop during their breakfast time.
We have a menu of options for our school, but these can be modified to fit the needs of your classroom. I'm also including a pdf of some great choices for menu items.