Hearst Family Update
October 18, 2020
Good morning, Owl families! A big thanks to you for helping our Owls to be engaged and active members of their learning communities and to become more and more self-sufficient with routines and procedures in the virtual learning space. Thank you for all that you've done and will continue to do to make Term 1 great for our kids, our staff, and your families!
Thank you also to everyone who attended the town hall meeting on Wednesday. If you missed it, here’s the link to the townhall recording. While there is a lot that we don't yet know about Term 2, with DCPS guidance, we're drafting plans that prioritize safety while also supporting all of our students, whether they will be learning in the building or virtually. Some upcoming dates of note: this next week DCPS will be in the school to inspect our building preparations and families will receive their in-person lottery matches. The following week, in-person learning seats will be finalized and the CARES seats lottery will take place (see below for additional information). As we work to draft a comprehensive Term 2 plan that will work for kids, staff, and families, thank you in advance for your patience, flexibility, and support.
Hope you're having a wonderful weekend,
News and Announcements from Hearst
Upcoming Key Dates
- Wednesday, October 21 - LSAT Meeting 4:30-5:30pm
- Friday, October 23 - Term 2 In-person classroom lottery matches sent to families
Week of 10/26 - Hearst site visit for representatives from school community
- Friday, October 30 - Term 2 In-person classroom seats finalized; CARES classroom lottery matches sent to families
- Tuesday, November 3 - Election Day (no school for students & teachers)
- Friday, November 6 - End of Term 1; Professional Development Day (no school for students)
- Monday, November 9 - Term 2 starts; in-person learning starts
- Wednesday, November 11 - Veteran's Day (no school)
- Monday, November 16 - PK-1st grade CARES classrooms open
- Wednesday, November 18 - LSAT Meeting, 4:30-5:30pm; PTA Meeting, time TBD
- November 25-27 - Thanksgiving Break (no school for students and teachers)
- Monday, November 30 - 2nd-5th grade CARES classrooms open
- Update: Through the end of Term 1, the school building will be open from 8:30-4:30pm Mondays-Fridays for students and families to pick up learning materials. Please contact Ms. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- Reminder: The Hearst playground will be closed from 8:00am-3:15pm Monday through Friday to all students not attending in-person or CARES classrooms in Term 2 in order to ensure cleaning, mask, and physical distancing requirements are met for our students who are learning in the building. Thanks for your understanding!
- Reminder: All parents/guardians must complete the Student Technology Responsible Use Agreement School Year 2020-21 found here: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=7kagKk6zM0qSt5md8rwKMrokwfOwIAhEmZryty8pQBJUN1NPTDkzNVAzQUo1NVhPNk5NUDQzMkVFNC4u. This new mandate from DCPS and we thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Hearst School Spirit Fridays
Hearst Readiness to Reopen - Updated 10/16/20
DCPS has noted that the following health and safety measures were being put in place to support a return to learning in the building. Please see the bolded statements to see where Hearst stands with these items.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) & Hygiene Supplies: Schools have the necessary general and enhanced PPE and hygiene supplies and are prepared to utilize the standardized inventory monitoring protocol established by central office to ensure timely supply replenishment. PPE & Hygiene supplies are on site at Hearst.
- Cleaning Supplies & Procedures: Schools have the necessary cleaning supplies and are prepared to utilize the standardized inventory monitoring protocol established by central office to ensure timely supply replenishment. All cleaning supplies are from the EPA-registered list in the CDC guidance. School custodial staff have been trained to implement enhanced and deep cleaning protocols. Cleaning supplies are in place, training is ongoing.
- Socially Distant Space Arrangement: Schools are set up to facilitate social distancing among staff and students, using resources provided by central office. Socially distant classrooms have been set up. Our compliance walkthrough with DCPS is scheduled for this coming week.
- Signage: Schools have COVID-19 health signage (in English and other languages) posted in arrival spaces, hallways, and classrooms. Signage will address key COVID-19 public health and safety practices. Floor decals and signs have been placed around the school.
- Water Access: Schools have safe and reliable access to water in a manner that prevents risk of virus transmission. Water fountains in classrooms are turned on for use. Water fountains outside large group bathrooms are turned off, except in the first floor hallway where it will be turned off in the coming weeks.
- HVAC Enhancements: Schools are equipped with either a Direct Outside Air System (DOAS) with MERV-13/MERV-14 filters or High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters. Enhanced filters have arrived at the school. HVAC contractors have been in the building for the past week. We're awaiting updates from DGS about the status of the HVAC systems.
- Plumbing Systems: School plumbing work orders related to bathrooms, sinks, and water supply systems are prioritized so that schools are ready to welcome students and staff. All toilets in the building are now working with the exception of one. A work order is in for the one non-working toilet.
Living through History Virtual Showcase
Updated: Aspen Family Portal Access
Reminder: Vaccinations Required to Return to Learning in the Building
Help your kids #StayOnTrack and ready for school-entry with on-time vaccinations.
Hearst has a current immunization compliance rate of 80.83% as of 10-11-2020. Remember to send your child's immunization records to email@example.com. Make appointments with your health care providers and provide the proper documentation before the start of in-person school (see here for a list of required immunizations). Immunizations must be up to date to take an in-person seat or CARES seats starting in Term 2.
Por favor ayuden a sus hijos a mantenerse vacunados y listos para el regreso a la escuela.
La escuela ha comenzado, recuerde enviar los registros de vacunación de su hijo/a a firstname.lastname@example.org. Haga citas con sus proveedores de atención médica y proporcione la documentación adecuada antes del inicio de clases en persona (tentativamente a partir del 6 de noviembre de 2020). Consulte aquí para obtener una lista de las vacunas requeridas. A pesar de que estamos comenzando en forma remota, nos comunicaremos con todos los alumnos a los que les falta el certificado de vacunas.
News and Announcements from DCPS
Before & After School in Term 2
For additional Term 2 updates, please visit: https://dcpsreopenstrong.com
News and Announcements from Other Organizations
Hearst Park September Update
Dear Community Stakeholders of Hearst Park:
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) and the DC Department of General Services (DGS) are pleased to share the September, 2020 construction update for the Hearst Park and Pool project. Please find the flyer attached for progress information. For additional information, please visit the project website for information and resources: https://dgs.dc.gov/node/1135096.
Peter Nohrden, ASLA
Capital Projects, Planning and Design
DC Department of Parks and Recreation
1275 First Street, NE, 8th Floor | Washington, DC 20002
P: (202) 671-1852 | E: email@example.com
dpr.dc.gov | Twitter and Instagram: @dcdpr | facebook.com/dcdpr