August 14, 2020
As a reminder, we do not move students. We ask that you work with your child's teacher to address any questions or concerns.
This year, we have received several requests to place students together based a on learning pods, or small groups of families that share the responsibility to supervise all children in a "pod" during the students' academic studies. PSD schools will not assign teachers to work with these specific groups. Our grade levels are working tightly together to ensure that their expectations and instruction are aligned to support families and students.
Meet-the-Teacher-August 24 & 25
Remote Learning-What to expect
Monday through Thursday:
Morning Check-In/Class Meeting: 15 minutes live. (Monday through Friday)
Literacy: 60 minute lesson with minimum 30 minutes synchronous, including lesson delivery and small group and individual support.
Mathematics: 60 minute lesson with minimum 30 minutes synchronous, including lesson delivery and small group and individual support.
Science/Social Studies: 30 minute lesson with minimum 15 minutes minutes synchronous, including lesson delivery and small group and individual support.
Specials: 30 minute lesson with live interaction
Lunch: 45 minutes
Independent practice, small group, and assignment completion: 120 minutes
Morning Check-In/Class Meeting: 15 minutes live.
The rest of the day on Friday, students complete independent and asynchronous work.
Teachers will hold office hours and collaboratively plan and prepare for the next week.
- Lessons will be managed in a consistent learning management system (Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, SeeSaw, etc.) and follow a consistent routine each day to avoid confusion.
- Students and families will have access to help guides and technology assistance to learn how to navigate the primary applications to support their students (Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, etc.).
Teachers will support student learning through a blending of three models:
Synchronous (real-time) learning: Online learning in which teachers and students participate at the same time, but not in the same place. Synchronous learning is delivered through a virtual meeting platform.
Asynchronous (any-time) Learning: Online learning in which students learn at different times and locations. Asynchronous learning is often supported by posted media materials.
Activities that support student learning. Independent practice may include reading assignments, general practice, homework, and projects.
All lessons will be based on essential standards and provide meaningful work. Over the course of the year, all essential standards will be covered in core subject areas and courses.
DRAFT Schedule for Remote Learning
Teacher Learning Pages
Each teacher will have a learning page with a standard format and required links depending on course content.
The site will link to teacher's Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, and SeeSaw.
We will use the Teacher Learning Page as the entry point for students to access content.
Teachers will communicate their routines to students and families so they know when to expect updates.
You can access Learning Pages at our website: https://wer.psdschools.org/
- Teachers will communicate their routines to students and families on a regular basis.
- Teachers and/or departments will have Teacher Learning Pages for students and families. These pages will include information like:
- Messages from teachers
- Links to online learning platforms and course content
- Information about assignments and more as needed
- Teachers will communicate their grading practices and expectations.
- Students will receive timely and relevant feedback on their learning during school hours. Student work will be evaluated and graded.
Attendance will be taken each day.
- Weekly communication through our Werner Weekly
- Website: Up-to-Date information about Werner, calendar, and Learning Pages
- Newsletter: Monthly newsletter will information from the office, PSD, and PTA
- School Messenger: Email, Phone, and Text with pertinent information regarding Werner, PTA or PSD
- Social Media: Facebook and and Twitter will be used to share updates and highlights of our school/district.
Meals during Remote Learning
Ensuring kids have access to nutritious meals during the 2020-21 school year is a top priority. PSD Child Nutrition and the Transportation Departments have teamed up to make sure meals are available to students at several locations across the district while PSD is in remote learning through Oct. 16.
Sack meals available for PSD students
Please note that meal sites and hours may change as needs and the program are evaluated.
PSD will offer sack meals to PSD students (beginning Aug. 24) from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday, at numerous PSD schools and additional locations (on scheduled school days).
Students will be able to get two sack meals - one sack lunch for that day and a sack breakfast for the following morning. Menus will be available here.
Cost of meals:
- Free and reduced-priced meals - Students who have qualified for free and reduced-priced meals will receive meals at no cost. For information or to apply, visit the Free and Reduced-Priced Meals website.
- Students buying meals will be charged the normal breakfast and lunch prices. Because of COVID-19, the district will only accept online payments through SchoolPay accounts, but no convenience fee will be charged (typically $1 per transaction).
Sack meals will be available outside at schools (listed below in bold) and at nearby mobile meal sites via parked school buses. Meal sites that are near each other are grouped together. All meals sites at schools are listed in bold. PSD-enrolled students may pick up or purchase meals at any location regardless of the school they attend or where they live.
Werner Elementary, 5400 Mail Creek Ln.
Nearby mobile bus meal sites:
- Brittany St At Heart Of The Rockies Parking Lot
- Fossil Creek Pkwy At Fossil Creek Park
- Keenland Dr West Of Mcmurry Ave
- Skyway & Venus
Note from Mrs. Siemers
Hello Werner Wildcat Families,
I am Werner’s art teacher, Mrs. Mary Siemers. I am writing this to let you know that I will be taking a leave of absence during the start of this school year. I am taking this leave in effort to help keep my immunocompromised husband safe, as he is currently going through chemotherapy for cancer. I hope to return to the art room around the first part of November. I will miss each and every Wildcat artist and cannot wait to see them again soon!
Thank you for your kindness and support,
-Colored Pencils or Crayons
-Ruler (standard and metric)
-White Copy Paper
-Small White Board
Please hold on to other supplies until we are back in school.
This year, we are also making available for families the option to purchase school supplies online to be delivered to your home from School Tool Box. Please note that not all supplies are available in these school kits and you may need to purchase them separately.
UPDATE: Requests for change in A/B Days
If you requested a change to A/B days, those changes are on hold as our office priorities have shifted to all Phase 1 prep. We appreciate your patience and will communicate updates before the end of August.
PSD Virtual Technology Pickup-August 21
PSD 2020-21 School Year
Stay up-to-date with PSD's plans for the 2020-21 school year at: https://www.psdschools.org/psd2020-21. This site will house all the information needed for the different phases and updates throughout the year.
Meet-the-Teacher and Materials Pick Up (Sign Up)
Monday, Aug. 24th, 8:30am to Tuesday, Aug. 25th, 3:30pm
5400 Mail Creek Lane
Fort Collins, CO
First Day of Remote Learning
Wednesday, Aug. 26th, 9am-3pm
This is an online event.
Werner Staff 2020-21
Jamie Cassell (Burns)
Mary Siemers-Art (Kari Forster-Long Term Sub)
Shelly Seavey-Media Tech/Para
Teresa Dimick-Kaltenberger-Kitchen Manager
Jenni Sifuentes-Mental Health
Katie Meadows-Literacy Teacher
Jill Ayars- Speech
Dani Bassett-Multi-Cat Teacher
Rhonda Betts-ILS Para
Michelle Bullock-ILS Para
Meghan Day-ILS Teacher
Melissa Dreher-ILS Para
Danielle Duncan- School Psychologist
Cindy Ellenwood-ILS Para
Katie Hochhalter-IS Para
Traci Henninger-Office Manager
Caity Sahimi-Assistant Principal
Amy Rider-Health Tech
Jenny Whetsell-Secretary/Health Tech
Patrick Hollen-Night Custodian
Larry Pygott-Head Custodian