November 16, 2020
Change of Learning Environment Requests - 3rd Nine Weeks
Families now have an opportunity to make a change to their child’s learning environment for the third 9-week period. The window is open November 17-November 30. Changes made during this selection period will go into effect on January 5, 2021. If no changes are made in Parent Portal, then the current instructional environment will remain in effect until the fourth 9-week selection period opens. To view the environment selection for the current 9 weeks by campus, visit www.pisd.edu/school@home_selection.
Parents Who DO NOT Want to Make a Change of Environment – NO ACTION REQUIRED
Process for Changing Instructional Environment Selection
- All primary guardians will receive a notification prior to the change selection period.
- Changes may be made in the Parent Portal.
- Instructions on how to complete the process are located in the Parent Portal.
- Any changes made in the Parent Portal will go into effect on the dates listed below.
- Selection Period for the third 9 weeks: November 17-30, 2020, effective January 5, 2021
- Selection Period for the fourth 9 weeks: February 15-19, 2021, effective March 15, 2021
- Elementary students changing their environment may be assigned to a new teacher or teacher. Change in environment will almost always result in a teacher change.
- Secondary students making changes to their learning environment selection are not guaranteed to be assigned to their same teacher or class schedule based upon availability. Some staff may need to shift to align with new learning environment choices. Therefore, even students who do not change learning environments could experience a change to their teacher(s), course availability or class schedule.
NEW Please Note: The Texas Education Agency has issued guidance that allows school districts to stop offering virtual instruction to individual students with poor grades or attendance. Campuses will notify parents if a student’s attendance and/or academic performance in one or more classes puts them at significant risk of severe learning loss in the PISD School@Home or the hybrid schedule remote days.
A student’s lack of engagement and poor academic performance could result in revoked access to the remote learning environment or PISD School@Home. In which case, the student may be required to return to the face-to-face learning environment (or hybrid 4 days a week). Campuses will notify and collaborate with parents regarding learning environment changes if their student is not demonstrating academic success.
Free and Reduced Lunch Applications
Here is the link to the district page that contains information on how to apply.