From the Principal
It was so nice to see so many of you at Curriculum Night this week! We know that the strength of the home-school connection is key to our children's success. We look forward to partnering with you this year to help your child have a great year!
This weekend, we are looking forward to another community event, Rockin' Romona! Please join us for this PTA-sponsored event that brings together families and celebrates the start of the year. It begins at 3:00 with a fun run and continues with all sorts of fun, including singing Happy Birthday to Romona!
See you Sunday!
Shared at Curriculum Night: Safety Reminders
- Please follow the map below!!
- The parking lot is closed during drop-off and pick-up.
- Please do not park in front of our neighbors' driveways.
- Please don't idle your car while waiting! (From our Green Team)
- Although we love dogs, they are not allowed on school property.
- Only EC families are allowed in the bus lane.
- The police will start ticketing, so please follow the map below!
Thank you for helping to keep our kids safe!!
From the PTA
Bring your family, a picnic and some cash for ice cream to the Romona field! Rockin’ Romona will be held Sunday, September 16th from 3-6pm. Your kids can take part in a “Fun Run”, sing “Happy 60th Birthday” to Romona and dance to popular DJ tunes on the blacktop. Romona organizations will be represented to share what they do. Can you help put tattoos on kids? Can you sign kids in and line them up for the Fun Run? Volunteers are needed to this event a success. Please sign up HERE!
ROMONA WELL GARDEN OPEN HOUSE
The WELL Garden Open House will be on Thursday, September 20th from 3:20-4:30pm. Come join us for crafts, activities, food and fun as we celebrate our beautiful garden space and our new "yellow-brick road"! Everyone is welcome, so swing by right after school! We are looking for activity helpers, food servers and clean up help at this fun-filled event. If you are free, please sign up HERE!
GIRLS ON THE RUN
Girls on the Run’s fall registration is going on now! WHO: 3rd & 4th grade girls train for a 5K run using interactive lessons that encourage positive physical and social-emotional development. WHEN/WHERE: Tuesdays & Thursdays 3:15- 4:30pm, September 11-November 15 right here afterschool at Romona! COST: $205 per girl, financial assistance available. REGISTER For more info contact Emily Downs, firstname.lastname@example.org
ROMONA SPIRIT WEAR
Get your school spirit on! Romona's custom webstore features spirit wear for children AND adults! Every Friday at Romona is "Spirit Day" when students and teachers are encouraged to wear their Romona gear and demonstrate why Romona truly rocks! The webstore will ONLY BE OPEN UNTIL 9/21 - so don't delay. All orders will arrive via backpack express in early/mid-October. Order HERE today!
GENERAL PTA MEETING
The first General PTA Meeting of the 2018-2019 School Year will take place on Wednesday evening, September 26, 2018 at 7pm. This is a great way to find out more about what’s going on at school and meet fellow parents. We look forward to meeting YOU!
Well Garden- Supervise kids in the garden to make sure they are safe and provide support for the many activities we plan. No gardening experience is necessary and younger, supervised siblings are welcome. Sign-up HERE.
Learning Commons- Help restock, re-shelve books and assist students with checking out books. Volunteer when your child’s class visits! Sign-up HERE.
Cafeteria Helper- Assist the cafeteria cooks by serving food to children going through the hot lunch line. Sneak a peek at your child during lunch! Sign-up HERE.
PLEASE GIVE TO iGNITE!
Do your kids like going on field trips? Do they like when authors visit? Do they like doing hands-on science experiments conducted by traveling experts? The iGNITE fund is Romona’s Enrichment budget to pay for all these great activities. EVERY STUDENT is included and benefits from these events and parents share in the responsibility for paying for them. The goal is 100% Romona Family participation, so please give what you can! Donate HERE!
Join the PTA and keep in touch with Romona families! Your $25 PTA membership includes complimentary online and smartphone app access to the AtoZ Directory and class lists. If you need help with access to AtoZ, please contact our directory chair at email@example.com.
All Romona families are invited to the Multicultural Potluck Dinner on Friday, October 12th! Celebrate the wonderful diversity of our school community by bringing a dish to pass that is native to your culture, whether you were born in another country or here in the United States! Socialize with other Romona families in the cafeteria while kids enjoy activities in the gym. More information coming soon!
Introducing a new Fall Romona Parent Party…. “Romona On The Rocks”! Let’s get to know each other and strengthen our wonderful community. Make new friends and catch up with old ones. Saturday, October 20th at Ten Ninety Brewing and Taproom in Glenview. More information coming soon!
Did you know that there are approximately 504 students in the district who receive special education services via an IEP? Parenting a child with learning, behavioral, emotional and developmental challenges is sometimes difficult, but when you have an army of other parents behind you, it makes it so much easier. Looking for more support or for others who can relate? Join PASS 39! Come to our annual Ice Cream Social on Monday, September 17th from 6-7:30pm at the Mikaelian Education Center.
D39 EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION
The Taste of Wilmette will take place on Thursday, September 27th from 5:30-7:30pm. Enjoy food, wine and craft beer tastings from Wilmette's restaurants and specialty markets, including A La Carte Grill at the Wilmette Golf Club. A portion of proceeds will benefit the District 39 Educational Foundation. Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door. Register HERE!
- Wilmette Park District is hosting a free WORLD WIDE DAY OF PLAY on Saturday, September 22nd from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm at Vattman Park.
- Wilmette Rotary Club is running its annual BIG BOOK DRIVE at all District 39 schools from October 1st through November 15th.
- The Village of Wilmette is hosting a Walk Bike Wilmette Open House on Thursday, September 27th from 4:00 - 7:00 pm. Stop in and give ideas, comments and suggestions on how to make Wilmette more walking and bike friendly.
- PASS 39 is hosting a Welcome Ice Cream Social on Monday, September 17th at 6:00 pm at the MEC/District office. RSVP @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- All are welcome to join in the festivities at Harper Elementary School's Hoedown on Sunday, September 30th, 11:30 - 2:30.
- The Wilmette Historical Museum hosts "Auto Historica XV” a vintage and classic car show on Sunday, September 23rd, 12:00 - 3:00 pm
- Fall Registration is open for "GIRLS ON THE RUN" available to 3rd & 4th grade girls. Train for a 5K run September 11-November 15, 3:15-4:30 at Romona School.
- Cub Scout Pack 1010 is hosting an Ice Cream Social/Registration Event Thursday, September 13th 5:00-7:00 pm in the Romona Cafeteria.
- Chess-Ed is open to all Romona students and will be held on Wednesdays, 3:20 - 4:20 pm. Discounted registration through September 19th.