Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
October 9, 2015
Mrs. Johnston's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @MrsTJohnston
Upcoming Dates to Remeber
- Friday, October 9th- End of first 9 weeks
- October 5-October 21- Parent Teacher Conferences
- October 22 & 23- Fall Break- NO SCHOOL
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 5 PE
- Tuesday- Day 6 Music
- Wednesday- Day 1 Art
- Thursday- Day 2 PE
- Friday- Day 3 Music
What's Happening in Mrs. Johnston's Class
Parent Teacher Conferences
- We will continue our small reading groups. Ask your child what book we are reading in our small group.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will discuss characters and settings in realistic fiction.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- We will begin learning about the concept of multiplication.
- We will model multiplication using equal- sized groups, arrays, area models, and equal jumps on a number line.
- We will learn and understand the properties of multiplying with 0 and 1.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will test over addition and subtraction at the end of the week.
- We will review what a strong lead in a story looks like, adding details to a story, and making sure to have a beginning, middle, and end.
- While reviewing the skills of writing a small moment story the students will be learning to write to a prompt.
- We will develop our OUCH stories. :)
We will continue to learn about plants and the scientific method. The students will do many hands on science experiments to learn first hand the steps to the scientific method.
NEWS FROM THE THORPE CREEK OFFICE
The 2015 Liger XC Mile will take place on Thursday, October 15th at Hamilton Southeastern HS!! This race/run/walk is for ALL K- 6th grade students in the Hamilton Southeastern School District. School team scores will be kept for intermediate and elementary competition.