Grapevine Mustang Band
Week of Aug 9
Notes from the Directors:
Good afternoon Mustang Band!
- We are working diligently to reconfigure our band fees. Thank you for your patience as we work through an uncertain school year. There are a lot of questions that are left unanswered at this point and we continue to gather information every day.
- The Band calendar has been updated to include evening rehearsals and football games. Please note the SAT and ACT restrictions have also been removed.
- This week each student had two virtual sectionals this week and we had outstanding participation! We interacted with 84% of our students last week!
- Virtual Guard rehearsals will continue next week CLICK HERE for the schedule and links.
- Virtual Percussion rehearsals will continue next week, Mr. Drewry will send info via email.
- Virtual Masterclasses will start next week, CLICK HERE for the schedule and links.
- Virtual Marching Classes will begin Thursday and Friday 2:30-3:30pm. CLICK HERE
- CLICK HERE to get music on our website.
- CLICK HERE to fill out our student interest survey.
- Band Registration has been moved to a drive-through event on August 15th. We will be able to collect all forms at this time as well as distribute items that have been ordered. Forms are available on the band website and can me sent to Ms. Irby in advance.
- We are excited to start our first fundraiser of the year! We have partnered with MSC Fundraising to sell masks! The website has our initial line up, but more will be added soon! You can check it out here: https://www.mscfundraising.com/collections/ghs-mustang-band
- We are in the process of updating Charms. If you are receiving our emails you are listed on the Grapevine Band roster. If you attend CHHS, please let Mr. Rees (email@example.com) know and we will transfer you to the correct school.
- We have also compiled another version of the calendar that can be found HERE.
- You need to clean and disinfect your instruments! (videos below)
- Establish a routine for yourself to keep your life as normal as possible. Dedicate time to growing as a musician every day. Our suggestion is below.
Masterclasses for each instrument begin next week. They will meet every day! Almost all of them are 10am – 11:30am, but there are a small handful that are at a different time due to teacher availability. CLICK HERE for the schedule and links. Our masterclass teachers are high level instructors and we are glad to have them work with our students!
- Flute – Dr. Gabriela Alvarado – DMA from University of North Texas, adjunct faculty at Mountain View College, Vice President of the Texas Flute Society
- Oboe – Catherine Wardle – MM from University of North Texas, site manager of the Bocal Majority Oboe Camp
- Bassoon – Dr. Kristen Goguen – DMA from University of Colorado, adjunct faculty at Brookhaven College
- Clarinet – Meghann Zenteno – BME from West Texas A&M, former Director of Bands at Lake Highlands Junior High
- Saxophone – Josh Bryant – MM from Duquesne University, saxophone faculty at Trinity University
- Trumpet – Peter Stammer – MM from Southern Methodist University, section trumpet in Dallas Winds
- Horn – Reese Farnell – MM from Yale University, former 2nd horn in Sichuan Symphony Orchestra
- Trombone – Jacob Muzquiz – Performance Diploma from Southern Methodist University, 2nd Trombone in Allen Philharmonic
- Euphonium – Dylan Toombs – BM from University of North Texas, ensemble specialist at The Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps
- Tuba – David Hummel – MM from Indiana University, principal tuba at Round Rock Symphony
MARCHING BAND INFO/PROCEDURES
We will not meet in person for marching band until August 18th. Below is more information about our marching rehearsals as well as our safety guidelines. It is absolutely imperative that everyone follow these guidelines!
Remember, we will be operating “week to week” as we navigate the beginning of the school year in this ever-changing environment. Patience is appreciated!
**Student and Staff safety is paramount. Please follow these guidelines and procedures to ensure successful and fun rehearsals**
Arriving at rehearsals:
- Students will be dropped off on the north side of the band parking lot (GHS side)
- Check In Station - Students will check in one at a time at the table near the MAC. Students will use hand sanitizer at this time.
- Students will be assigned a spot on the field more than 6’ away from other students. They will remain in this arrangement for the duration of rehearsal.
- All students are asked to arrive with face masks while checking in.
- Social distancing will be enforced while students are being checked in. You can help with this by having your student stay in the car until they are next. Students that drive to rehearsal will be asked to wait in line away from other students.
- Accurate attendance will be kept for each day.
- Students will be asked to use hand sanitizer upon arriving (provided by district) and during practice.
- Students will be asked to wear face masks as they transition into or out of the rehearsal areas. Masks may be removed when directed by staff so woodwind and brass students can play their instruments.
- Anytime a student leaves the rehearsal area (restroom break, etc.) masks are to be worn.
- Staff will sanitize as needed.
- Masks will be worn during all transition periods, and when possible during practice.
- Each student will be responsible for bringing their own water bottle/jug. No shared water will be provided, and students will observe social distancing during all water breaks.
- No food will be eaten during rehearsal.
- No equipment is to be shared directly between two students. In the highly unlikely situation that equipment must be shared, the director or designate will properly sanitize the equipment before the next student uses it.
- Dismissal times will be staggered in order to prevent groups from gathering.
- Students will be asked to wear masks until they leave GCISD property.
- Students will be instructed to leave GCISD property immediately at their assigned times, no gathering in parking lots or in rooms
- Parents will be encouraged to pick up students at assigned times to minimize student gatherings.
- Rehearsals will take place in outdoor areas and/or MAC
- For the time being, indoor activity will be avoided if at all possible.
Please do not attend rehearsal if exhibiting symptoms of illness.
- Completed Physical Form - CANNOT ATTEND IF NOT SUBMITTED
- Completed Pre-Screening Form - CANNOT ATTEND IF NOT SUBMITTED
- Complete the Trace Log (will send before in person rehearsals) at the beginning of each week.
- Water Jug - FULL of cold, fresh water
- Lightweight Athletic Clothes and Shoes
- Instrument and Equipment
- Flip Folder, Lyre, Black Band Binder
- Music from the Band Website: Fundamentals, All-Region Music, Fight Song, Alma Mater, Drill Team Tunes
- If we have a physical on file for 2019-2020, they are taken care of.
- ALL New Members need a Physical completed on the designated form.
- ALL Members OLD and NEW need an updated medical history form. The form can be found here: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/forms/PrePhysFormRvsd1_10_20.pdf
- Please fill the first page out and sent it to Ms. Irby. You may also bring the form the first day of your summer band activities. All students must have this on file before they can begin ANY activity. Students without this required paperwork will not be allowed to participate in any capacity and will be sent home.
CareNow® is now offering discounted school physicals for just $20 and is committed to keeping patients safe and healthy. Use their Web Check-In® feature and wait from the comfort of your own home. Take advantage of this promotional offer before the back to school rush in August!
All students and parents must join the Remind Groups. We use Remind to communicate quickly during events and will only send out messages that are important for everyone.
To join, you can text the code below to 81010, OR you can download the Remind 101 App and join. (Some students have found it easier to join with the App)
Start Raising Money NOW!
Scrip Gift Card Fundraiser (always ongoing)
○ Start now: go to https://shopwithscrip.com
○ Enter our school enrollment code:72226A747L87
Hello Band Families,
The Show must go on!! Your Band Directors and Booster Club are working hard on planning for next year’s marching and concert season. As most of you heard on the virtual parent meeting, 2020-21 band fee payments begin May 15.
Scrip Gift Card Fundraising is a great way to raise some (or all) of that money simply by paying with gift cards for purchases you normally make!
In a nutshell, the scrip website has hundreds of gift cards to choose from. You buy the ones you like and pay full price for them. You then receive the rebate (percentage varies by retailer and is listed). Back to your student’s charms account. When it’s time tomake a fee payment, simply let our treasurer, Andrea Galante, know via email. Treasurer@grapevinehsband.com and tell her you would like to apply your credits toward the fee.
For parents of incoming freshmen, you may start with Scrip now and we will track your credits and apply them in charms once your student is promoted to GHS Band.
1). To get started, go to www.shopwithscrip.com, create an account and use our school enrollment code: 172226A747L87.
2). In light of current circumstances, please choose electronic gift cards and pay via credit card or by linking your bank account. Once we are able to receive UPS packages at school, we will do an order that includes physical (plastic) gift cards too. Electronic gift cards can be sent as gifts and will go out in an attractive format to the recipient’s email address.
3). Pay attention to rebate percentages to maximize yours earnings. Often retailers have bonus rebates and your earn a higher percentage. Mark your calendar for May 7th.... it’s Thanks-scripping Day. Many retailers will have bonus rebates that will not be advertised in advance!