WE Day Minnesota
Xcel Energy Center- Wednesday, November 12, 2014
How did we get there?
Last year, Lester Prairie National Honor Society, Student Council and Youth Task Force members worked on two "Free the Children" initiatives through WE Act. The first initiative, WE Scare Hunger, asked students to go trick or treating for unperishable food items instead of candy.
During WE Scare Hunger 2013, our students collected 929 pounds of food. In 2014, our students collected and donated over 144 pounds during spring fling, 920 pounds of food during homecoming week and an additional 731 pounds of food during WE Scare Hunger 2014. All donations went to the McLeod County Food Shelf.
Our students also particiipated in WE are Rafiki, where bead chains made by Masaai women in Kenya were sold by students to benefit various causes. Our students collectively raised $900 by selling 90 bead chains. This money went to empower children and families in developing countries. Through this donation, 23 children received a year's worth of school supplies, 23 children received a full year of clean water, 15 children received a month's worth of healthy meals, and 15 children received a year of health care. An additional 14 women were provided with financial tools for economic empowerment. The Student Council and National Honor Society plan to sell beads again later this school year.
Who did we get to see?
- Governor Mark Dayton
- Dave Ryan and Big D from KDWB
- Amelia Santaniello and Frank Vascellaro of WCCO
- Jesse Giddings of E! News
- Magic Johnson – NBA legend, two-time hall of famer, philanthropist and co-chair of We Day California
- Martin Sheen – Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award-winning actor and activist
- The Band Perry – Award-winning country music group
- Lt. Colonel Eileen Collins – First female space shuttle commander, retired NASA astronaut and former United States Air Force colonel
- JR Martinez – Actor, motivational speaker, bestselling author and former U.S. Army soldier and winner of Dancing With The Stars
- Lennon & Maisy Stella – Actors and Musicians, who play Maddie and Daphne Conrad on ABC’s “Nashville”
- Kweku Mandela –Social advocate, filmmaker, and grandson of President Nelson Mandela
- Clementine Wamariya – Survivor of the Rwandan genocide, Former refugee, Yale graduate, Accomplished public speaker
- iLuminate – Technology based performance group fusing music, dance and technology
- Munro Chambers & Ana Golja – Cast members from the Emmy-nominated TV series DEGRASSI
- Craig and Marc Kielburger – International activists and co-founders of We Day
- Spencer West – Me to We motivational speaker, Free The Children ambassador and author
- Ashley Rose Murphy – Motivational youth speaker
- Robin Wiszowaty – Me to We motivational speaker, author and Free The Children Program Director in Ghana and Kenya
- Colbie Calliet
Half of our students were lucky enough to sit in the front row right next to the stage in Section 102!
Spencer once again inspired students to use technology to change the world!
The Band Perry
The Band Perry played two of their hit songs for students at WE Day.