Principal's Pad (11/28/21)
Updates for the St. Stan's Community
What's in this Newsletter?
Here is what's new...
- Gentle Reminders
- Tax Credit Scholarship Information
- Restorative Justice at Home (Part 5)
- Home-Learning Hub
What's still here from last week?
- Las Posadas & Tree Lighting Ceremony
- CHAMPIONS Afterschool
- Toys-for-Tots Toy Drive
- Upcoming Events
Picture Re-take Day
School pictures were distributed to students last week and should have been brought home to parents. If you wish to order more pictures, please follow the directions on the personal calendar that each child received. Van Gogh Photography will be back in the building for picture re-takes on Monday, November 29.
As we return from our Thanksgiving holiday break, please keep in mind the following Covid-19 guidelines as outlined by the Archdiocese of Chicago:
- If your child has been ill for longer than 24 hours and is unvaccinated, you are required to present a negative Covid-19 test to the main office prior to their re-entry to the classroom. Please communicate with the classroom teacher as well that you have submitted the test result.
- If your child traveled to an "orange" state as designated by the City of Chicago or State of Illinois and is unvaccinated, a Covid-19 test must be done AFTER your return and a negative result must be submitted to the main office prior to their re-entry to the classroom.
- If someone in your household tests positive for Covid-19 and your child is not vaccinated, please inform the office and keep your child at home. Your child should quarantine for 10 days from the last date of exposure to the positive case, at which point they can return to school so long as they remain asymptomatic. The quarantine may be 7 days if the child remains asymptomatic and receives a negative Covid-19 test.
Tax Credit Scholarships for 2022-23
January will be a very important month for any family hoping to receive tuition assistance from the Big Shoulders Fund or Empower Illinois. Both of those organizations offer Tax Credit Scholarships which often cover the entire tuition of a student in grades Kindergarten through 8th. These scholarships are determined, however, on a first come first serve basis and are very competitive.
The information below is from Big Shoulders and details several opportunities for how you can prepare for their TCS application process which opens on January 13. Please take advantage of these preparation opportunities and reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.
APPLICATION INFO SESSIONS
Schools and families are invited to join one of our Tax Credit Scholarship Information Zoom Sessions. These sessions will outline the application process, show a sample application, and help schools and families prepare for steps one and two of the Big Shoulders Fund application. There will be separate Zoom links for English and Spanish.
Tax Credit Scholarship Information Zoom Sessions:
- December 9 at Noon
- December 16 at 7 pm
- December 23 at Noon
- January 6 at 7 pm
- January 11 LIVE Q&A at 7 pm
Families can practice the application during our APPLICATION SNEAK PEAK from December 17, 2021 through December 26, 2021. We will send families a special link when the Sample Application opens and they can practice in preparation for application day.
Do not forget that everyone must reapply each year.
To keep up with all new information and updates along the way, be sure to follow us on all social media platforms below, check out our website, and remember to SAVE THE DATE!
SGO Website – https://www.bigshouldersfundsgo.org/
Restorative Justice at Home (Part 5) - What it Looks Like at School
- Week 1 focused on RESPECT and how families can have productive discussions about what respect means for each of you (click here to view)
- Week 2 introduced the concept of a "talking piece" to make sure everyone is heard as well as taking intentional time to have some fun as a family (click here to view).
- Week 3 emphasized the positive importance of "I" statements when discussing conflict so that the speaker takes ownership of their actions and feelings (click here to view)
- Week 4 showed that Restorative Justice practices can also be utilized for academic purposes as well as social-emotional learning (click here to view)
The final Restorative Justice at Home lesson for this month offers a glimpse at how these practices look inside of a school setting. Please view the videos below for a closer look at how Restorative Justice can look when being used effectively in a school.
Annual Tree Lighting & Las Posadas
St. Stan's Toy Drive
Champions: A New Afterschool Program
Any other questions should be directed to the CHAMPIONS Area Manager, Paula Short. She can be contacted at email@example.com or 847-850-9817.
Upcoming Events & Important Dates at St. Stan's
Parent-Teacher Conferences - December 3
Parents will have the opportunity to discuss their child's progress over the first trimester with teachers on Friday, December 3. There will be no school on this day.
Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony - December 4
We will be having our annual tree lighting ceremony as well as other activities on the evening of Saturday, December 4. Las Posadas will also be performed to commemorate the journey of Mary and Joseph as they sought shelter to prepare for the coming birth of Jesus.
- 5:00-5:40 Las Posadas - performed by the 4th Grade
- 5:45-6:00 Caroling - led by the St. Stan's Choir
- 6:00-6:15 Tree lighting
- 6:15-7:00 Tamales and Hot chocolate
Wildcat Theatre Company presents: A Christmas Carol - December 10, 11, & 12
Our school Drama Club will be performing the Christmas season classic, A Christmas Carol. Performances will be held on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
School Christmas Concert at the Church - December 17
Each class will perform a song for our annual Christmas concert at St. Stanislaus Kostka Church. The event will begin at 6pm on Friday, December 17.
Passing on Anxiety
Good Sleep Habits
Passing on Anxiety
Good Sleep Habits
Holiday Season Mass Schedule at St. Stanislaus Kostka Church
If you are interested in helping coach or in having your son/daughter involved in athletics at St. Stan's, please contact our Athletic Director, Mr. Ryan Reed, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended Day Program
You must sign-up for aftercare services by the preceding Saturday of each week. To arrange your schedule through the Procare App, please click on this link.