Moreau Heights Elementary
Moreau Heights is a collaborative community focused on student growth with a commitment to excellence.
PBS lesson - Review of Expectations as Needed
We do not have any new PBS lessons planned for this short week. Please take this time to build your classroom community and practice/address expectations as needed.
Are you using Charger Cash to reinforce PBS expectations and Second Step skills?
- We want to use positive reinforcement to draw attention to what we want to see more of
- How do you make sure you are putting the focus where you want it?
- Are you remembering to use all your tools? Specific feedback? Charger Cash?
"You are a giant, yellow highlighter. Highlight behavior you want more of, and help children become aware of the many kind and helpful things they do each day."
Conscious Discipline - Strategies to De-escalate
As we all work to develop strategies to support students who are struggling emotionally, here are a two videos to help us with these skills to de-escalate.
The first video below is about developing Empathy, which is also tied to our Second Steps skills. This is a great 5 minute video to help us see the power of using empathy to help de-escalate a child.
The second video offers some specific steps or skills to use when a student is needing help to de-escalate or calm. Watch to see these steps in action!
1. Describe - "Your face is doing this. . .Your arms are doing this. . . Your feet are doing this. . . Your head is doing this. . . "
2. When student looks up, you download by using STAR breathing.
3. Name the feeling - "You seem. . . "
4. Acknowledge - "You wanted . . " or "You hoped . . . "
5. Option - "You have a choice. You can . . . or you can . . . Which is better for youj?"
Character Trait for November is Politeness
Duties for the Week
Calendar of Events
Monday, November 20
*SSTs for AM and NM (Boeckman, Haugen, James/VanWie, Moeller) 11:00
*SSTs for JT and DDR (Reece, Russler, James, Haugen) 2:00
*Leadership Team mtg 3:45
Tuesday, November 21
* RZ mtg (Bray, James, Spear, Murray, Haugen, Holtmeyer, Jungmeyer) 10:30
*MH Family Time (Schedule below)
*PBS Team mtg 3:45
November 22 - 24 No School - Thanksgiving Break
Monday, November 27
*Tier 2 meeting 3:30
Tuesday, November 28
*Inter-agency mtg for TG 9:00
*Inter-agency for MG 1:15
*Culver's Night for MH 5 - 8 p.m.
Wednesday, November 29
*Major Saver fundraiser Kick-off
*Parent mtg for JT 1:15 (Russler, James, Haugen)
Thursday, November 30
*Literacy Night 5:30 - 7:00
*5th grade boys basketball 5:45 - 6:45 at Cedar Hill
2. You MUST enter grades in Parent Portal each week. Parents are tracking their child's progress using this method and expect YOU to keep them updated via the portal. Thank you for making sure this tool is effective for parents by updating by Tuesday of each week.
3. We need to make sure that students are using their iReady licenses for AT LEAST 45 minutes each week. In addition, make sure students are progressing through lessons - providing additional instruction as needed when students struggle.
Congratulations! United Way Parking Spot Winners!
Kelly's Coaching Corner
Are you looking for creative ways to start your lessons? In this article , we learn that like writers, teachers need a hook to increase student interest and engagement. Whether you’re mixing it up or just curious about what other teachers do, check out these five videos to see five different ways teachers start their lessons.