"Super" Spruce Scoop
Volume 1 Edition 28
May 4, 2015
City Year - Dallas
This past week, I had the opportunity to learn more about an outstanding partnership which currently supports Spruce High School and will begin serving the Comstock Middle School next fall. Also present at the national conference were Dallas City Councilmen Medrano and Kingston. See below.
City Year is a national organization committed to improving graduation rates, achievement in reading and math as well as strengthen student culture. Below is information lifted from their website which provides a deeper understanding of their work.
At City Year, we’re working to bridge the gap in high-poverty communities between the support the students in the communities actually need and what their schools are designed to provide. In doing so, we're helping to increase graduation rates across the country, and making an impact in the lives of the students we serve.
Our progress can be attributed to a unique, holistic approach, which we call Whole School Whole Child. It’s based around a group of carefully selected, highly trained young adults—our corps members—who provide individualized support to at-risk students, while also establishing an overall positive learning environment in the schools throughout America that need us the most. It’s their dedication and hard work that’s helping students reach their full potential, while also having a positive effect on the community as a whole.
For more information, go to http://www.cityyear.org/
Thank You Teachers!
Events for the Week:
- Monday, May 4 - High School STAAR testing, ITBS testing window opens, Mandatory Elementary LPAC chair training @ H. B. Bell Building 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 5 - High School STAAR testing, Mandatory Elementary LPAC chair training @ H. B. Bell Building 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 6 - High School STAAR testing
- Thursday, May 7 - Happy B-Day Gerald Bennett! High School STAAR testing, Administrator LPAC training @ H. B. Bell Building 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 8 - Happy B-Day Marco Barker!
- Saturday, May 9 - Job Fair @ Conrad High School
Kudos go to!
- Clarita Rivera from Tanya Shelton for speaking with the 5th grade Richard Lagow parents about the pilot program to be implemented next school year. See picture below.
- B. H. Macon students from Mr. Bennett for their success in the Lone Star Challenge.