Documentary Film Making
Documentary Film Making
Please register for today's workshop. Thank you.
This hands-on workshop explores techniques for managing documentary filmmaking projects in the classroom with iMovie and content from iPhoto and iTunes.
Participants learn to write their own script, to use a storyboard, to properly film a shoot and to edit, and produce an original short movie.
Why Documentary Film Making
Observational film: Produce a visual portrait of a person, place, or activity. Observe the subject closely and find the most effective shots to reveal it. Use of camera angle, shot-size, focal length, and editing patterns are emphasized.
- Fundamentals of documentary style film
- Connections between the content and real world
Intellectual engagement and memorable learning
- Create a documentary style interview
- Produce a documentary style video
- Examine curricular examples and student work
Plan, Gather Build, Present
Plan your project
Shooting great video:
- Rule of Thirds
- Three Basic Shots
- Point of View
- Why documentary style or nonfiction filmmaking?
- Shooting good video
- Choosing a topic, planning, and interviewing
What are the elements of a documentary film?
- Taking video.
iMovie Help for your iPad - http://help.apple.com/imovie/ipad/1.3/index.html
iMovie Help for your Mac Computer - http://www.apple.com/findouthow/movies/
Check out this paper-table documentary. I think these two kids really went outside of the box on this video.
Bennett High School - http://youtu.be/eo2qWtj1qkw
Steep Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr7_4LrF8As
PBS Paper Table - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Tuaqcxa0I
- The Table! - http://db.tt/6bXHB5mQ
- Take pictures, video and interviews of the process. (See idea sheet).
- Use iMovie to create the documentary. You may have to go back and reshoot some interviews and pictures.
Part 2 -
PRESENTING, SHARING, AND ASSESSMENT - Send to camera roll and connect to MacBook
- Sharing the documentaries
Managing a Documentary Project - http://db.tt/s82e24mT
Technical Aspects of Documentaries
- Main Shots - http://db.tt/72cHGVGA
Ideas for Documentaries
Assessment - http://db.tt/pTb5ZfW7
Reflection - http://db.tt/UAmCmasf
CREATING A SAMPLE
Take the idea of making a documentary and build a sample one that your students could build.
LESSON PLAN/PROJECT CREATION
- Assessment / Rubrics
- Time Management
- Student duties
- Final product
PRESENTING / SHARING YOUR LESSONS (Airdrop)
Please take a moment and reflect on today's activities and complete the following evaluation. Thank you, Casey.
iPad Resources - http://smore.com/d1jy