NLSC Advisor Update May 2018
This Advisor Update is specifically about the National Leadership and Conference!
2018 NLSC Due Dates – IMPORTANT!
There are a few important due dates left for the 2017 National Leadership and Skills Conference on June 19-24, 2017 in Louisville, KY:
- May 15, 2018– Payment deadline to State Office
- May 31, 2018– Additional Trading Pins Pre-Order Form due to State Office
mikeroweWORKS Foundation Offers Travel Scholarships for Competitors
The mikeroweWORKS Foundation, in partnership with SkillsUSA, is proud to offer a scholarship opportunity up to $1,000 for SkillsUSA members who have competed and placed first in their state association competition.
To apply for the mikeroweWORKS Foundation Competitor Scholarship, applicants:
- Must be a gold medal winner at their 2018 state competition, advancing to national competition.
- Have never attended the National Leadership and Skills Conference prior to this year
- Be a SkillsUSA member in good standing
- Must reasonably demonstrate financial need for scholarship.
- Must submit application and attachments no later than midnight EDT on May 15, 2018.
- Preference will be given to applicants from program areas of manufacturing and industrial applications, construction, technical computer applications, firefighting, electronics and transportation.
The application is on the web site at http://www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/the-mikeroweworks-foundation-competitor-scholarship/.
We need to know how to reach you this summer, so please send your summer email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SkillsUSA Michigan State Events
There are several SkillsUSA Michigan state events planned at Nationals. All events are mandatory and will be held at the hotel.
- Monday evening at 7:00 pm - State Orientation Meeting and Contestant Leadership Testing. All contestants need to bring a #2 pencil. This is a mandatory meeting for ALL participants!
- Thursday morning from 5:30 am to 7:30 am – State Breakfast (before SkillsUSA Championships)
- Friday evening immediately following Awards Ceremony – State Social and Awards
New This Year!
- Awards Ceremony Passes Sold Online - SkillsUSA Awards Ceremony pass sales are changing. The new procedure will be through the SkillsUSA website, and sales will begin April 2. https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skills-conference/ Select the link for Award Ceremony ticket sales. The advance purchase will be $10 each, plus a service fee of $1.42. A credit card is required for online purchase. Buyers will be required to either download the admission ticket, which contains a barcode, onto their smartphones, or print out a paper copy of the ticket(s) to be admitted to Friday evening’s awards at Freedom Hall. On-site ticket sales will be available for $15 per ticket, no additional fee. These ticket sales will be available beginning Tuesday, June 26, and closing Friday, June 29, at 4 p.m. The number of tickets for sale is limited due to seating availability at Freedom Hall. Buy early; once all seats are sold, ticket sales will cease. There will be parking fees at the entrance of the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC). For more information on parking: https://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-andskills- conference/registration-and-logistics/parking/
- Full Program Available on Conference App - A condensed version of the NLSC program will be included in the annual Awards and Recognition book. Books will be distributed as part of the registration appointment. In addition, there will be a PDF of the entire NLSC program available for attendees to print from the national conference website by June 1. The SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference official program and all the details will be available through the conference app — also available by June 1.
- Business Center Added - There will be a SkillsUSA business center, with fees associated, to give access to photocopy service and for those who wish to have access to print from jump drives or the internet. There will be a 20-minute time limit per person. The business center will be located in KEC South Wing Lobby B100 and open Tuesday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Champions Night on Wednesday with PVSA Recipients - Wednesday, June 27, 2018 — SkillsUSA Champions Night at Fourth Street Live! http://www.4thstlive.com/ - This event will have live music, games, food for sale until 11 p.m. As with all conference events, attendees must present their name badge for admission. Kansas City’s Mikey Needleman Band will headline the entertainment. http://mnband.com/ New to the Champions Night celebration will be the recognition of the SkillsUSA President’s Volunteer Service Award honorees. The details will be shared with state directors who have PVSA honorees registered to attend the conference.
- Meet the Employer Event Added - Friday, June 29, 2018 — From 10 a.m.-3 p.m., SkillsUSA will be hosting Meet the Employer in the West Hall of KEC. Over 50 employers from every sector will be on site to promote career opportunities with their companies. All NLSC attendees are invited to stop by to interact with eager potential employers. Educational sessions will also be available to help attendees learn more about career opportunities and enhance job-seeking skills. Students are required to bring copies of their resumes and dress professionally. Admission is free for NLSC attendees. More information can be found here: http://bit.ly/2tlbfLr.
Personal Medical Information
IMPORTANT – In order for SkillsUSA to be HIPAA compliant, we are no longer allowed to collect personal medical information for each person attending the conference, including medical cards. It will be the responsibility of the local school to maintain/keep medical information and have permission to dispense it as needed.
National Conference Text Messages
Please sign up using the codes below to receive important text messages at the National Conference. We are using Remind for these text messages.
- If you have a smartphone, get push notifications. On your iPhone or Android phone, open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/2018minlsc. Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind. You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app.
- If you don’t have a smartphone, get text notifications. Text the message @2018minlsc to the number 81010. If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @2018minlsc to (734) 680-8322. * Standard text message rates apply.
Cell Phone Numbers
All advisors are asked to email their cell phone number to email@example.com ASAP. Thanks to those who have already done this. This cell phone number list will be provided to all advisors in attendance at Nationals.
Championships Contest Updates
Please be sure to read the contest updates posted on the National web page at http://www.skillsusa.org/competitions/skillsusa-championships/contest-updates/. VERY IMPORTANT: Please be sure to check the contest updates regularly. Your student will not be prepared for the contest without this information. We want all competitors to be aware of this information and any changes!
All competitors must create a one-page résumé and submit a hard copy to the technical committee chair at orientation. Failure to do so will result in a 10-point penalty. They can bring a résumé to the contest on the day of competition, however, the penalty will remain in effect.
Contest Floor Map
This year, all contests but a few contents will be at the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC). A contest floor map is available at https://nlsc18.mapyourshow.com/7_0/exhview/. Be sure to zoom in and you will see the location of each contest.
Additional Trading Pins Pre-Order Form
We will be taking pre-orders for additional trading pins for Nationals. Pre-orders must be faxed by May 31, 2018. As part of your registration, all registrants will receive three (3) SkillsUSA Michigan Trading Pins. The pre-order form is available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/.
NLSC Shipping Information
The official shipping company for the SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference is YRC Freight. All shipments must be made by using YRC Freight, if you use another carrier you will need to pay a drayage charge of $50 per hundred weight, no exceptions. Please use the shipping label at this link. Contest freight must use a blue label.
To schedule p/u, track shipments, and shipping documents Go to, www.yrcfreight.com
YRC will start receiving freight on May 1 and all freight needs to be received no later than June 16.
If, for any reason, you are unable to meet these required dates, or if you have other questions, please contact YRC Exhibit Services at 800-531-3976. They will make every effort to comply with your needs. A representative will be onsite to assist you with your shipping needs at the end of the competition on Thursday, June 28, at the championships office trailer, East Wing.
Note: For lightweight package shipments (70 lbs. or less), please use United Parcel Service (UPS) and ship them directly to your hotel. Mark the package(s), “Hold for Arrival” and your name. Please do not ship to YRC Freight.
Freight that is 12 feet or longer in length cannot be shipped to the YRC terminal. Contact SkillsUSA for instructions on direct shipments to the event site.
Discount Car Rentals
Discount car rentals are available. More information is available at http://www.skillsusa.org/events-training/national-leadership-and-skills-conference/registration-and-logistics/car-rental/.
Parking at the Galt House
Self-parking at the Galt House is $18 a day and valet parking is $30 a day. FYI - There is a limited number of large vehicle parking spaces at the Galt House but other parking will be available nearby.
Contest Clothing Requirement
The clothing requirement for your contest is found in the Technical Standards. A copy was given to each winner. Please be sure to follow this exactly as you will receive a penalty for not having the proper clothing. Be sure to get the proper clothing beforehand as there is no guarantee that you will be able to purchase what you need at Nationals. Competition apparel and accessories may be purchased at http://www.skillsusastore.org.
There are also detailed specs on the shoes, please be sure you have the correct ones!
- Shoes: No canvas, vinyl, plastic or leather athletic-type shoes, open-toe or open-heel shoes are permitted in any SkillsUSA Championships event without penalty. Contestants may be disqualified where improper footwear constitutes a health or safety hazard. When leather work shoes are required: “work shoes” are technically defined as low or high-top leather, lace-up shoes with rubber, skid-resistant soles. They can be steel- or nonsteel-toed. Work shoes can be purchased very inexpensively at any local department store and in most mail-order catalogs. Western-style (cowboy) boots are not allowed, except Roper-style boots that are all-leather, round-toed, flat soled, and with a low heel.
Please Note - All participants (students, observers, advisors and guests) need to wear Official Attire to the Opening Session and Awards Ceremonies. Official Attire is listed under Leadership Events on the official competition uniform chart.
Dress Code for All Participants
Registrants traveling as a group should remember that they are representing SkillsUSA and forming a public impression of the organization. When traveling, registrants are not required to wear official SkillsUSA attire, but they are encouraged to wear clothing with the SkillsUSA logo — for example, an embroidered polo shirt with khaki slacks. At all times, whether traveling or during the conference, registrants’ overall appearance should be clean and neat. Their attire should be appropriate for the occasion. Contestants must follow the clothing requirements in the official technical standards for their contests. During formal events such as the opening and awards ceremonies, official SkillsUSA attire is required.
Opening and Awards Ceremonies Attire
As an organization, we must portray a professional image to the business, industry, education and government representatives attending the opening and awards sessions. Official SkillsUSA attire should be worn to the opening ceremony. The national board of directors has ruled that students who come on stage during the awards ceremony be dressed in official SkillsUSA attire or SkillsUSA Championships work clothing. Students not wearing official SkillsUSA attire or Championships work clothing will not be allowed on stage. Other attire is not allowed, including jeans, shorts, T-shirts, tank tops, sneakers, boots and sandals. This rule will be enforced, and any awards earned will be presented backstage if the student is not dressed properly.
Official SkillsUSA Attire
- Women: Red SkillsUSA blazer, white blouse (collarless or small-collared), knee length black dress skirt or black dress slacks, black sheer (not opaque) or skin-tone seamless hose and black shoes
- Men: Red SkillsUSA blazer, white dress shirt, solid black tie, black dress slacks, plain black socks and black dress shoes.