A Message from Superintendent Dr. Shawn Olson ~ 8/5/2021
I hope this message finds you well and enjoying the summer with your family. It is hard to believe that we are just a few weeks away from the start of the 2021-22 school year. Full in-person learning will resume on Tuesday, August 24, and I am sure the question on everyone’s mind is, “What is the 2021-22 school year going to look like?” Please know we are doing everything in our power to return students to school safely while getting back as close to normal as possible.
Recently, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) released new guidance for schools regarding COVID-19. It emphasizes implementing layered prevention strategies (e.g., using multiple prevention strategies together consistently) to protect people who are not fully vaccinated, including students, staff, and other members of their households. CDC Guidance for COVID-19 Prevention in K-12 Schools can be found here. Additionally, on August 4, Governor Pritzer mandated masks in all school buildings for students, staff, and visitors. Our current Reopening Plan includes universal masking for students and staff until the mandate/guidance is modified.
Please take a moment to review our 2021-22 Reopening Plan. Our primary goal for the upcoming school year is to safely remain fully open without interruption to teaching and learning while supporting a community of students, staff, parents, and community partners after 18 months of tremendous challenges and incredible stress.
Please keep an eye out for additional communication from your school principals over the next few weeks. They will provide school-specific details regarding PTO hot lunch programs and family activities, school events/clubs, and SWIC sports/activities.
We anticipate being able to release classroom assignments and student schedules via Infinite Campus on Wednesday, August 11. Transportation information will be available on Monday, August 16. Please log in to your Infinite Campus Parent Portal to view classroom assignments, student schedules, and transportation information on these dates.
I hope you can enjoy the next few weeks of summer weather and spend time with your children. We look forward to welcoming our students back to school on Tuesday, August 24.
Dr. Shawn M. Olson
- August 11: Elementary classroom assignments and middle school student schedules released via Infinite Campus
- August 11: Board of Education Committee Meeting to discuss three Fernway construction options - 7 pm at Prairie View Middle School
- August 16: Bus Route Information released via Infinite Campus
- August 16: Step Up Day for incoming sixth graders
- August 18: Middle School Walkthrough for Parents/Students
- August 20: Kindergarten Round-Up
- August 23: Institute Day for all staff
- August 23: Elementary Open House
- August 24: First Day of School for Students
- August 24: Middle School Open House