October 8, 2021
Hello Stetson Families,
Happy Friday! October has arrived and can you believe we are currently halfway through our first marking period of school. Please be sure to check Parent Portal for an update on your student's grades. If you should have any questions, please feel free to reach out to your child's individual teachers or grade level counselor.
As we round out our third week of Falcon Period schedule we are asking for your help. Our focus is to provide additional academic support on Tuesdays and Social and Emotional support on Thursdays. Please talk to your students about Tuesdays, as they spend the time making up work, meeting with a teacher, studying for a test, or taking time to read. On Thursdays, we engage in activities to help develop relationships with peers and our staff. We will focus on five key competency skills: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
Thank you for your continual support in helping us guide your child through the challenging times of middle school. Please reach out and communicate any concerns that you may have in the upcoming months. Remember that we are on this journey together!
Thanks for your time, attention, and support in reading this week's edition!
Have a great weekend,
Calendar --Look Ahead and Plan
October 11th--Day 3
October 12th--Day 4
October 13th--Day 5
October 14th--Day 6
October 15th--Day 1
Daily bell schedule
Falcon Period Schedule--Tuesday and Thursday
Technology concerns--If technical issues arise, please use the following resources:
Tech Support @ Home – WCASD website with important information:
- Schoology Support
- Laptop Support
- Additional Resources
- Schoology Parent & Student Support
If there is an issue with your 1:1 device please email SMS email@example.com
Late Arrival and Early Dismissal Procedures
Early Dismissal Procedure
- Please send a signed note in with your student on the morning of the desired early dismissal. Your student should bring that note directly to the office upon arrival to receive a pass to leave class at the appropriate time.
- Early dismissal is considered leaving prior to the end of the student day more than 60 minutes early.
Late Arrival Procedure
- Students are considered late to school after 8:05 am. All late arrivals must check-in at the office/late table to receive a pass.
- A tardy is defined as a minimum of one minute of lateness to school.
- Eight (8) tardies to school and/or early dismissals will be considered one (1) unlawful absence in grades K-8.
Dismissal/Drop off Procedures
- Drop off is between 7:30 am - 8:05 am
- Student pick-up is between 2:50-3:10 pm.
- ALL cars MUST loop up to Starkweather and loop around before entering the Stetson car line loop
- It is vital to follow this procedure as we have experienced 202 traffic causing on-campus gridlock and delaying the start of the school day.
- Please allow ample time for drop off to avoid tardies
- When students arrive at school between 7:30 - 7:50 am, they will remain in one location until the first bell rings at 7:50 am.
- 6th grade will remain in the cafe
- 7th/8th grade will remain in LGI
- Students arriving after 7:50 am will report directly to homeroom
- Students will be considered late to school if they arrive AFTER 8:05 am
- Please use the crosswalk to pick up your child from the parking lot, safety is important to us! **We prefer that you use the car dismissal line for safety purposes!
- Thank you for being respectful to our staff on duty with all traffic procedures!
Show map HERE
A Word From Our Athletic Department
Fall sports are in full swing. Following is the contact information for our coaches:
Football-- Mr. Pete Stolzer firstname.lastname@example.org
Field Hockey-- Mrs. Melissa Moritsch email@example.com
Volleyball-- Mr. Jim Ascareggi firstname.lastname@example.org
Boys Soccer--Ms. Erica Roebuck email@example.com
Girls soccer-- Ms. Erin Listrani firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheerleading--Ms. Rachel McDonald email@example.com
**Call our athletic director Mr. Corcoran about any athletic concerns at 484-266-2725
HOME Athletic Games this week:
10/12 Field Hockey & Girls Soccer @ 3:15 pm
10/13 Football @ 3:15 pm
10/14 Boys Soccer & Volleyball @ 3:15 pm
It is Stetson’s mission to help all students maintain passing grades, however, if a student is failing two or more academic subjects, or one academic subject, and two unified arts classes, they will be placed on our ineligibility list. Students who are on the ineligibility list are unable to participate in any extracurricular sport/activity. A report is generated every Thursday to determine eligibility status for the following week.
6th Grade Intramural Opportunity
The 6th Grade Intramural Soccer Program is an after-school activity in which 6th Grade boys and girls will learn fundamentals of soccer, participate in organized scrimmages, interact with their peers and get physical exercise. Practices will be spread out throughout the months of October and early November. If you would like to sign your child up for 6th Grade intramural soccer please fill out the form in the link (6th Grade Intramural Soccer ).
To join the 6th Grade Soccer intramural page on Schoology use this access code CJ2F-MSK7-2GVNZ
Feel free to contact Mr. David Loescher with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
Stetson Drama Club--6th through 8th grades
Do you love theater and music? Stetson Drama Club is starting rehearsals for All Together Now, which is a musical review of 15 popular songs from 15 different musicals, such as Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Seize the Day, Mary Poppins, and Hairspray. There are 9 solo opportunities and 6 group numbers.
Mrs. Ann Ellis --email@example.com
Social Media --What Can Parents Do?
It is important to be aware of what your kids do online. Parents need to find a balance of being aware and snoop which can alienate them and damage the trust you built together. The key is to stay involved in a way that makes your kids understand that you respect their privacy but want to make sure they are safe. Tell your kids that it's important to:
- Be nice (treat others with respect)
- Think twice before hitting enter (posting personal/private info)
- Follow the "WWGS" (What would grandma say) rule
- use privacy settings
- don't friend strangers
Stetson PTO Information
The Stetson PTO is ALL NEW this year and we are looking for new members to help with planning and events. We anticipate opportunities to help with teacher appreciation and other student-centered activities this year. Please email PtoStetson@gmail.com if you are interested in learning more.
Community Resources and Events
Community Conversation--Part II--October 21st
The West Chester Area School District is leading a series of Community Conversations inspired by the title of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s final book Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?
As a community member, your voice and your perspectives are important to us. If you’re new or returning to the discussion, we hope you can join us for Part 2 of Community Conversations held on Thursday, October 21, at Bayard Rustin High School (1100 Shiloh Road), beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Please register to attend the event by Thursday, October 14. Due to the format of the event, registration is required to attend. This event is not open to the media or anyone living outside the WCASD attendance boundaries.
We look forward to continuing the work from Part 1 as we build to strengthen our community.