September 10, 2018
Meet & Greet B-C-S New SRO Officer Welch Scheduled For Tuesday, September 11th!
B-C-S will host a meet and greet for any parent or community member who would like to meet Officer Welch on Tuesday, September 11 at 5:00 PM at The Hub at Oak Harbor High School.
Having an SRO is part of Benton-Carroll-Salem's comprehensive approach to school safety. Officer Welch will help us address school violence with both prevention and intervention techniques. Having an SRO on a school campus can deter problem situations from arising and can enhance a school’s capacity to address its safety and security concerns. When problems do arise, SROs can intervene quickly to address the situation. SROs can contribute to safe school planning efforts and offer their schools a resource to turn to when emergencies occur. Ultimately, the presence of an SRO assists in making the school safer and more secure for students, teachers, and staff. The entire community benefits as well because learning is more likely to take place in such an environment.
We hope to see you on Tuesday (September 11th) at 5 PM to give a big welcome to Officer Welch!
From Left to Right: B-C-S Board Members Steve Rhodes, Jame Tooman, Heather Dewitz, Board Vice President Kim Dusseau, Officer Loren Welch, Chief Steve Weirich, Village Administrator Randy Genzman, Board President Jeff Dornbusch, and Superintendent Guy Parmigian.
Community Meeting Scheduled for Tuesday, September 11th at 5:30 PM!
A 1% Earned Income Tax issue will be placed before voters on the November 6th ballot.
In an effort to get information out about the issue, the school district has set two community meetings for Tuesday, September 11 at 5:30 PM and Thursday, October 11 at 5:30 PM. Both meetings will be held at The Hub (formerly the Media Center) at Oak Harbor High School. The meetings will be hosted by Treasurer Cajon Keeton and Superintendent Guy Parmigian.
Come early on September 11th to Meet & greet our new SRO at 5:00 PM and stick around for the community meeting at 5:30!
This event will also be available on Facebook Live!
Tune in every Monday for #MakeADifferenceMonday where we will feature a stakeholder, student, or fellow alumni answering "Five questions for B-C-S"
This week B-C-S is featuring, RC Waters Classroom Assistant, Barb Lorensen.
We would like to congratulate Barb on her 35 years of service she has dedicated to Benton-Carroll-Salem Local School District! Congratulations Barb!
1. What is your name, your position and how many years you have worked for B-C-S Local School District?
- I am Barb Lorensen. I have worked for BCS for 35 1/2 years. I am an assistant. I have worked in K-5, resource rooms, computer lab, and the library.
2. With being a Classroom Assistant at RC Waters, what do you enjoy most about this position?
- My favorite grade is kindergarten. From the beginning of their school year to the end they have made so much progress. It makes you feel so good to know that you helped them to get off to a great start.
3. What's your career highlight you are most proud of?
- I enjoy working with the students, helping them to meet their goals.
4. What advise can you offer other classroom assistants?
- My advice to other assistants is to enjoy your job and the students. Also, don't forget to get a few laughs in here and there.
5. When you're not working, how do you like to spend your time?
- When I am not working I enjoy my grandchildren. I also have a lot of yard to mow. Mowing to me is relaxing.
PARENTS! Are you having a hard time accessing your child's school lunch account?
We Think You Are Grand!
What's Going On At RC Waters Elementary?
Welcome Officer Welch!
Our School Resource Officer (SRO), Officer Welch, had the opportunity to visit all the classes and introduce himself today. Looking forward to working together to keep our schools safe!
THIS WEEK AT RC WATERS!
Mrs. Lutz rewarded her former students that completed their summer packets with an ice cream party! Great job, little scholars!
Students participated in bus training this morning. Each year the transportation director arranges for our students to get on the buses to learn about bus safety and rules.
The first-grade teachers held a parent meeting on August 28th to inform parents of classroom routines & procedures and allow parents to ask questions. Thanks to all that attended. A great home support system for students is so important for their educational success!
We kicked our year off with a PBIS assembly starring our very own mascot, RC, demonstrating positive behaviors! Our theme this year is Be Incredible! Let’s have an Incredible year!
RC Waters Elementary has earned Bronze Ohio PBIS award recognition for 2018!
RC Waters Lunch menu for September 2018!
September Breakfast Menu!
September Lunch Menu!
What's Going On At Oak Harbor Middle School?
Chief Weirich training the OHMS Crossing Guards!
7th-grade students take a break from the heat from last week to play a math game. It helped take our mind off how hot it was for a little while!
OHMS Lunch Menu for September 2018!
September breakfast menu!
September lunch menu!
WHATS GOING ON AT OAK HARBOR HIGH SCHOOL?
OHHS Earns Purple Star!
Congratulations to Oak Harbor High School for earning a Purple Star award from the Ohio Department of Education to recognize their increased support for military students & families.
SBC Sportsmanship Conference
Our Rocket athletes participated in The SBC sportsmanship conference this week! Thank you Clyde HS for hosting!
Hey where’s our student section?!
The student section enjoyed a camo theme night at the football game on Friday vs. Woodmore!
OHHS Alumni Night A Great Success!
OHHS Alumni Band Night was a great success with over 70 alumni members participating! Great job Oak Harbor Band! Did you miss the show? Head over to our FB page to hear it live!
OHHS Lunch Menu for September 2018!
September breakfast menu
September lunch menu
WHATS GOING ON AT PENTA?
Special visit from Mrs. Schell!
Thank you, Mrs. Schell, for visiting and bringing treats! We even got a senior picture!
Trade jobs vs. college: Which decision will you make?
Very cool article from WTOL emphasizing the need for laborers in the skilled trades and highlighting one of our own students!
WHATS GOING ON AT OUR PRESCHOOL CLASSROOM AT NORTH POINT EDUCATIONAL SERVICE CENTER?
See what our Preschool Classroom is up to at North Point Educational Service Center located at Graytown!
We are having an awesome start to our year. We are learning about classroom rules and routines, making green choices, handling different emotions, and playing in centers with friends. We are using Handwriting without Tears to practice handwriting daily. We also received our first visit from Ms. Chris Burr from the OH Library! She will visit our classroom every other week! We are all very excited about this upcoming year!
ROCKET SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS!
- The Oak Harbor Girls Cross Country Team made through Mud, sweat, and hills at Tiffin Carnival to finish the 2nd largest cc Invite in the United States. The lady Rocket program finished 16th out of 31 teams. Seven girls set personal best records.
- The Rocket Boys Cross Country Team ran well on wet course on their way to a 33rd place finish at The Tiffin Carnival, one of the nation’s largest cross Country meets. Marcus Hartlage 18:34 Clay Winterfield 18:42 Cameron Crandall 18:43 Xavier Gschwind 19:07 Wyatt Miller 19:31
- Final score from The Oak Harbor Soccer Complex. The Genoa Comet winter the Galaxy Cup with a 5-1 victory over the Rockets in a highly contest game.
- The lady Rocket JV Volley ball defeats Cary in 2 games but falls to Fremont Ross in a hard fought match 2 games to 1.
- Lady Rockets and Genoa Comets soccer teams tie 1-1. With the tie the Genoa Comets retains the Galaxy Cup.
- Final score from Oak Harbor has the Oak Harbor Rockets 48 and the Woodmore Wildcat 10
- The Rocket JV Boys Soccer team tied Vermilion 1-1. Good job guys
- The Rocket JV Girls Soccer team defeats Liberty Center 6-0 at the Rocket Soccer Complex. Nice job ladies
- Lady Rocket Tennis Team beats St. Mary Central Catholic 5-0. Singles winners were Chloe Duquette, Addie Hasselbach, Christine Arent, Doubles winners were Mya Lenke, Vivian Kunkle, Bailey LaFountain, Haley Hess, Carly Stevans, and Theresa Roziak. Good job ladies
- Oak Harbor girls golf team wins again against Gibsonburg at OHGC. Gibsonburg 203 Oak Harbor 187 Wojciechowski 37 Genzman 43 Hayes 48 Glaser 59 That makes the Lady Rocket overall record at 10-2 with 2 matches left Nice job Girls Finish Strong!
- Lady Rocket Volleyball win game 4 by the score of 25-14 to win the match 3 games to 1. Good job ladies
- Lady Rocket JV Volleyball team defeats Willard 2-0. Good job ladies
- Varsity volleyball takes the fifth set 15-13 to beat Vermilion 3-2. Way to keep battling ladies! Great road win! Get some rest to get ready for Willard tomorrow night
- Oak Harbor girls golf wins a dual against Danbury at OHGC. Danbury 238 Oak Harbor 196 Wojo 37 Genzman 55 Glaser 55 Hayes 49
- The Lady Rockets Girls Tennis loses 5-0 to Willard.
- Oak Harbor Freshman/JV Football team defeats Genoa 24-18. Good game guys.
- The Rocket Softball team receiving a commendation from Representative Steve Arndt for winning the Sandusky Bay Conference Championship in the Bay Division. Thank You Representative Arndt
BENTON-CARROLL-SALEM LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
WEEKLY SPORTS AND SCHOOL CALENDAR
WEEK OF 09/10/2018
Monday, September 10
4:00 PM A HS ~ Girls Tennis - Huron
5:00 PM H HS ~ Varsity Girls Soccer - Port Clinton
7:00 PM H HS ~ Varsity Boys Soccer - Port Clinton
Tuesday, September 11
HS ~ Class Meetings with Counselors for students in grades
4:30 PM A HS ~ Cross Country - Clay-Mile Repeat - @ Pearson Park
4:30 PM A HS ~ Girls Golf - St. Mary CC - @ Plum Brook CC
4:30 PM A MS ~ Cross Country - Clay - Mile Repeat -
@ Pearson Park
4:30 PM A MS ~ Volleyball - Margaretta
5:00 PM H HS ~ Volleyball - Margaretta
5:00 PM A HS ~ Girls Tennis - Tiffin Calvert
5:00 PM Meet and Greet Officer Welch for Parents and Community members @ OHHS in the Hub
5:30 PM Community Meeting ~ Information on the upcoming Levy - @ OHHS in the Hub
6:00 PM RC ~ TIE Meeting
Wednesday, September 12
3:00 PM H HS ~ Girls Golf - Willard
5:00 PM A HS ~ Varsity Girls Soccer - Edison
6:45 PM A HS ~ JV Girls Soccer - Edison
Thursday, September 13
2:30 PM H HS ~ Girls Golf - Edison
4:00 PM A HS ~ Boys Golf - Vermilion - @ Willow Creek
4:30 PM A HS ~ Girls Tennis - Fremont St. Joe
4:30 PM H MS ~ Volleyball - Port Clinton
5:00 PM A HS ~ Volleyball - Port Clinton
5:00 PM A HS ~ 9th Football - Woodward
5:00 PM A HS ~ Varsity Boys Soccer - Edison
6:45 PM A HS ~ JV Boys Soccer - Edison
Friday, September 14
7:00 PM H HS ~ Woodward
Saturday, September 15
9:00 AM A HS ~ Girls Tennis - Michaels Doubles Tournament
@ Fremont Ross
9:30 AM A HS ~ Cross Country - Myron Cline Invite - @ Lakota HS
9:30 AM A MS ~ Cross Country - Myron Cline Invite - @ Lakota HS
9:30 AM A MS ~ Volleyball - 8th only - Genoa Invite
10:0 AM A HS ~ Volleyball - Woodmore - Away
The school district was founded on July 1, 1967 due to the consolidation of the Benton Township School District, the Carroll Township School District, and the Salem-Oak Harbor School District.Benton-Carroll-Salem Local School District, home of the Oak Harbor Rockets, serves 1700 students on three campuses: R.C. Waters Elementary School (Grades K--3), Oak Harbor Middle School (Grades 4--7), and Oak Harbor High School (Grades 8--12). The district is committed to serving the needs of all students to prepare them for the challenges of citizenship, the workforce, and life long learning.