The Hardy Herald Week 29
IWCS Elementary Academic Plan
New Instruction Starts on April 20- Beginning on Monday, April 20, students will begin new learning. New learning packets will be available for pick up starting at 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM in plastic bins on the sidewalk. We will also have instructional packets posted on the website.
Administration and Teacher Office Hours- Beginning on Tuesday, April 21, teachers will have designated office hours for 1 hour each day. This time is set aside for parents to contact teachers OR teachers to contact parents regarding instructional expectations or questions. A schedule with teacher office hours are attached below. Please click on the attachment below.
Clever Portal Access
Isle of Wight County Schools is launching a feature that will provide all students and families with easy access to online resources. The Clever Portal provides users an easy, one-stop-shop approach to access all the learning applications students typically use at school, plus a few extras that will help increase student engagement while learning from home.
All student's will receive a QR code card/badge in their learning packet on Monday, 4/20. Please be sure to look on the front of the packet for your child's name to ensure you have the correct packet. In addition to the badge, students in grades 3-4 will also be able to login to Clever by using their school email address and school issued password.
You will be able to access Clever from this site:
Can’t wait? Click here to preview some of the tools you’ll find in the Clever Portal!
If after receiving login information from your school, you need assistance logging into Clever, please contact the IWCS Help Desk at 757-542-3322 (M-F 8:00am--4:00pm)
New School Update
Virtual School Counseling
During this time of change, our children can become anxious about what lies ahead. Your child's school counselor, Mrs. Gilchrist, has customized a resource that focuses on social and emotional learning.
Course Description: This particular module "Healthier Me" will educate elementary students on the importance of eating well, staying fit, and making healthy decisions through fun, interactive games.
- Have students go to platform.everfi.net/login,
- Click Register, enter code 2aa012cc
- Click Next.
In addition, here is a link to a free social emotional learning curriculum for grades kindergarten - 5th: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Social-Emotional-Learning-at-Home-5331452
In this two-week curriculum you will find the following for each day:
- YouTube video (embedded in the Google Slides)
Questions/prompts for students to think about
- An activity that aligns with the video
Course Description: This particular module "Compassion" will focus on compassion in a child friendly way for students in grades 2nd - 4th. Simply follow the directions below to access the information.
- Have students go to platform.everfi.net/login,
- Click Register, enter code 63137ebd
- Click Next.
As always, you are welcome to submit a counseling referral form by clicking on the link. School counseling services can be provided via email or through a video conferencing platform with the permission of parents. I look forward to hearing from you."
For questions, email Mrs. Gilchrist (email@example.com).
We MISS You Hardy Mustangs!!!
Online Reading Updates
Click on the Links Below
Children's authors doing online read aloud's and other activities
Hardy Elementary Open Positions
- Part-time School Counselor (Split between Hardy and Carrollton Elementary)
- Full-time Instructional Assistant (Special Education)
- Part-time Instructional Assistant (Kindergarten Only)
- Reading Coach
Please visit the IWCS website at this link to apply for available positions.
Indoor Games and Activities
FREE ACCESS to ABC Mouse, Adventure Academy and Reading IQ
FREE Online Educational Resources for Students
Scholastic (special COVID 19 edition): https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/coronavirus.html?eml=TSO/e/20200317////20Q4TSO_CrnvsFrRscs/ADMIN//////&mi_u=-1385083507////////&ET_CID=20200317_TSO_LearnAtHome_ADMIN_RET_28381&ET_RID=1131124536
Scholastic Learn at Home: https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html?eml=TSO/e/20200317////20Q4TSO_CrnvsFrRscs/ADMIN//////&mi_u=-1385083507////////&ET_CID=20200317_TSO_LearnAtHome_ADMIN_RET_28381&ET_RID=1131124536
Vooks (free 1-month trial) https://www.vooks.com/
Mystery Science: https://mysteryscience.com/school-closure-planning
Reading is Fundamental (Free 1-month trial): https://www.rif.org/skybrary
Learning A-Z: https://accounts.learninga-z.com/accountsweb/marketing/trial.do?campaign=rkCOVID19Trial&utm_term=Raz-Kids&utm_campaign=Virtual%20support%20for%20learning%20during%20the%20Coronavirus%20outbreak&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email&cm_mmc=Act-On%20Software-_-email-_-Virtual%20support%20for%20learning%20during%20the%20Coronavirus%20outbreak-_-Raz-Kids
Sheppard Software games: http://sheppardsoftware.com/
ABCya (learning games): https://www.abcya.com/
Meal Distribution Update
Isle of Wight County Schools has modified several meal distribution locations throughout the county. Meals are available for ALL students regardless of the household income.
Meals will now be distributed at the following locations:
- Zuni Presbyterian Church instead of the Zuni Citgo
- Windsor Manor instead of the Windsor Ruritan Club
- The Nest apartments in Carrollton will have their own distribution site.
The full list can be found below:
Meals will be available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at Smithfield High School, Georgie Tyler Middle School, and Carrsville Elementary School. In addition, our school buses will be delivering meals to the following areas throughout the county daily, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
In the northern areas of the county:
- Jersey Park
- Jersey Park Apartments
- Bradford Mews Apartments
- Smithfield Apartments (Hardy teachers will distribute meals)
- Church Manor Apartments
- Cedar Street Apartments
- Rushmere Fire Department (Hardy teachers will distribute meals)
- Eagle Harbor
- The Nest Apartments
In the southern areas of the county:
- Camptown Park
- Twin Ponds Mobile Community
- Clydesdale Mobile Community
- Georgie Tyler Apartments
- Zuni Citgo (changed to Zuni Presbyterian Church)
- Windsor Ruritan Club (changed to Windsor Manor)
Early Childhood Preschool
Program Overview- The program addresses their physical, academic, social, and emotional needs. The Learning Center operates on a full day schedule and follows the Isle of Wight County School calendar. Transportation is provided by the school division. You may also click on the link below to be directed to the IWCS website for full details and the online application for registration. For additional details please contact Mr. Clint Walters at (757) 357-4393 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents, as we enter the 2nd quarter of the school year, please review the following behavior expectations with your child. Our goal is to help build life long relationships with our students by modeling GREAT citizenship on a daily basis. We are continuing our behavior expectations of Growth, Respect, Empathy, Accountability and Trustworthiness; however, we are specifically defining how these characteristics look in each location within the building (such as hallways, restrooms, offices, cafeteria, playground/school grounds, bus etc.).
- The G.R.E.A.T expectations document is based on a proactive behavior model approach which teaches the behaviors, reinforces and recognizes students who are able to model these behaviors and has systems in place to support students who have a difficult time or may present with more challenging behaviors.
- Behavioral expectations are clearly defined- GREAT- Growth, Respect, Empathy, Accountability and Trustworthiness- for various settings and taught to all students in the school.
- Once appropriate behaviors have been defined and taught, they are acknowledged in various ways on a regular basis. Specifically, the stable to purchase items or house points.
- Every person who works in the school is aware of the behavioral expectations and works to ensure students are consistently getting the same message, regardless of the setting they are in or the adult they come in contact with.
- Individual support is provided for students not responding to the school- wide system. Our school has a system for developing plans for individual students who may have a difficult time and need more support in a school setting. Parents will be notified if their child is in need of the above support(s)
Active support by all stakeholders is imperative. The entire school community is needed in order to make this system successful. Our new behavior system is a building-wide behavior program for establishing a positive school culture.
PickUp Patrol Updates
Hardy Elementary School
ST Math Login