Welcome to the 2017-18 School Year
Read all about what's happening at Deep Run this year!
Greetings Deep Run Elementary Families!
We would like to welcome back our returning families and extend a warm welcome to parents and students who are new to Deep Run Elementary School. We are looking forward to partnering with you for another year of excellence at Deep Run Elementary.
Our skilled and devoted staff is already planning for the new school year. They have participated in professional learning and lesson planning activities. We have also completed some updates to our PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) program. We will continue to use 1,2,3 Magic as our school-wide discipline process and we will focus on building positive classroom communities. Our motto will be: Rangers Lead the Way! We are Engaged, Kind, and Responsible!
In the front office, staff has been busy registering new families and making sure we have the supplies and materials needed for a successful school year. Now that our amazing school renovation is finally complete, our custodial staff had the opportunity to do a thorough cleaning of the school. The school is sparkling clean and just about ready for staff and students. Finally, our PTA is busy planning the Boosterthon and preparing a number of fun events for our families. It is going to be a great year at Deep Run!
We are looking forward to seeing parents and students at the New Student Orientation on September 1st at 10:30 (new students only in Grades 1-5), Kindergarten Orientation on September 1st at 1:15, and our popular Open House from 2-3, also on September 1st. This is a great time to bring school supplies to the classroom.
Please read the important information below and watch for HCPSS news alerts and school messages with information and reminders about the school year. Enjoy these last three weeks of summer vacation!
Mrs. Denise Lancaster, Principal
Mr. Dan Notari, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Sophia Quirk, Assistant Principal
Important Dates & Updtes
Important Dates to Remember
- September 1 New Student Orientation Grades 1-5 10:30 pm
- September 1 Kindergarten Orientation 1:15 pm
- September 1 Open House PreK–5 2:00-3:00 pm
- September 5 First Day of School K-5
- September 7 First Day of School for Preschool and PreK
- September 7 Form Filling Assistance with Interpreters 9-5:30
- September 8 Form Filling Assistance with Interpreters 9-3:00
- September 8 PTA Back to School Picnic 6-8 pm
- September 13 PTA Meeting 7pm—all are welcome
- September 18 Back to School Night PreK-2 6:30 (parents only)
- September 19 Back to School Night GT at 5:45, 3-5 at 6:30
- September 21 No School for Students
- September 22 No School for Students
Join us in welcoming our new staff members:
- Mrs. Sophia Quirk, Assistant Principal
- Miss Stephanie Dix, part-time School Counselor
- Dr. Alesia Blosser, part-time School Psychologist
- Mrs. Patrice Smith, Speech-Language Pathologist
- Ms. Carrie Farrington, part-time Speech-Language Pathologist
- Ms. Katie Wimberg, part-time OT
- Mrs. Erinn Bende, Special Educator in the RECC
- Ms. Victoria Frock, part-time Paraeducator in the RECC
- Mrs. Dorothea Sample, Paraeducator in the RECC
- Miss Mackenzie Yee, Grade 3 Teacher
- Ms. Rachel Dorchak, Grade 4 Teacher
- Miss Ally Basile, Grade 5 Teacher
- Ms. Hallie Nussbaum, part-time Art Teacher
- Ms. Laila Parham, Special Educator
- Ms. Patricia Brenfleck, ESOL Paraeducator
- Ms. Michelle Datz, ESOL Paraeducator
- Ms. Linda Denson, Paraeducator
- Mrs. Elizabeth Hagen, Paraeducator
- Ms. Marcie Lucas, Paraeducator
- Ms. Geetha Langetti, Assistant
- Cassie Cherone, Assistant
- Ms. Andrea Falcon - Lopez , Teacher Intern
- Ms. Sarah Pfanz, Teather Intern
Staff with a change in assignment:
- Mrs. Andrea Kozikowski, 4th grade at Deep Run
- Ms. Ivye Paznornik, Assistant Principal, Duckett’s Lane Elementary
- Ms. Jan King, Retired
- Mrs. Janet Baird, Retired
- Mrs. Jane Pace, Retired
- Mrs. Dora Encina, Retired
- Miss Brittany Jenner, Kindergarten Teacher, Duckett’s Lane Elementary
- Mrs. Jenna Reed-Tripp, Child-Rearing Leave
- Mrs. Megan Roach, Pursuing Other Opportunities
- Mrs. Julia Southern, Full-Time at Veterans Elementary
- Ms. Rebecca Mina, Rockburn Elementary
Are you interested in joining the Deep Run Team?
PTA Staff Appreciation Breakfast on August 24
The PTA is preparing a Welcome Back Breakfast for school staff on August 24th. Please use this link to assist with the food.
Redistricting Plans for 2018-2019
School Information to Know
9:10 am Students may enter the building
9:20 am Morning Announcements
9:25 am Official start to the school day and instruction begins. Students arriving after
9:25 are late and will be marked tardy. They must be signed in by a parent in
the front office.
3:53 pm Walkers and car riders are dismissed.
3:55 pm Bus Riders are dismissed.
Breakfast and lunch are available to all students each day. Breakfast is $2.00 and Lunch is $2.75. New this year is a fruit and salad bar for lunch buyers. The fruit and salad bar is in addition to a choice of four hot meals served each day. Parents are encouraged to pre-pay for lunch online at myschoolbucks.com. Additional information about the meal programs is on the HCPSS Website.
HCPSS participates in the Free and Reduced Meals (FARMs) program. Students (PreK-12) who meet the federal income guidelines are eligible to receive free or reduced-price meals. Applications are available on-line or in paper forms. A new application needs to be submitted each year. Please complete the application (Spanish and English) as soon as possible to avoid delays in your student receiving a meal. Go to http://www.hcpss.org/food-services/farms/
HCPSS participa en la programa FARMs (Comida Gratis y Reducida). Estudiantes en Pre-K - 12 que cumplan con las pautas federales son elegibes a recibir comida gratis o reducida. Los aplicaciones están disponsibles online o en forma de papel. Un aplicacion nueva necesita ser presentado cada año. Por favor, hágalo pronto para que sus hijos pueden recibir la comida la primera día de escuela. Aquí es la aplicacion en espanol: https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application
First Day of School
Students should arrive on the first day of school the way they will arrive throughout the school year. If your child rides a bus, please have him/her ride the bus on the first day. This enables us to tag backpacks with bus numbers which helps students get on the right bus in the afternoon. We will have many, many staff available to greet students when they get off the bus and to help them get to the right classroom. Staff will also assist students in getting on the right bus at the end of the day. Due to the large number of students entering our building each day and the need to follow our security procedures, parents are not able to walk their children to classrooms. Thank you for assisting us in having a safe and welcoming first day of school.
When you complete the Family File before August 28th, you will be able to view your child’s teacher on HCPSS Connect on August 30th. Class lists will also be posted in the school lobby during the Open House on September 1st.
HCPSS Connect is now open to update your Family File. Please take time to do this as soon as possible. Log in to HCPSS Connect and select the Family File tab to update your child’s emergency contact information. If you need further directions on how to access the Family File, please click on this link: HCPSS Connect Parent Access Instructions
You will be asked to update or provide the following information:
- Parent/guardian contact information. Please provide the most current contact information.
- Emergency contacts. Please remember to check the "release to" box if you would like the contact to pick your child up from school in the case of an emergency.
- Medical information
- Arrival and dismissal procedures. How will your child arrive to school and be dismissed on a daily basis? Additionally, please provide the procedure your child should follow in case of an unscheduled early closing of schools.
- Media coverage. This does not include memory book photos.
- Data confidentiality.
- PTA directory. What information would you like included in our PTA Directory?
You can access HCPSS Connect here http://www.hcpss.org/connect/
Parents who do not have or have forgotten their log on credentials, can request assistance using the help link in the HCPSS Connect page.
Arrival and Dismissal
Please refer to our website (coming soon!) for arrival and dismissal procedures for our walkers and car riders. Early dismissal is not available after 3:30. It is very important that students are at school for the entire school day, except for an occasional appointment. We encourage students to arrive when the doors open at 9:10 and we want them to stay in school until the end of instruction at 3:50.
This school year, important information and flyers about community events will go home in “Wednesday Folders” instead of Friday Folders. This will give families time to review the information and return completed information to school before the weekend.