The Gayman Gazette
what's happening in and around gayman elementary school?
April 19, 2013
Upcoming Important Dates!
- Monday, April 22nd & Tuesday, April 23rd - PSSA Testing (Grade 4 Science ONLY)
- Monday, April 22nd through Thursday, May 2nd - 3rd Grade Assessment
- Tuesday, April 23rd - Reading Olympics at Mill Creek Elementary
- Friday, April 26th - Staff vs. Staff Pillo Polo Fundraiser @ Tohickon Middle School
- Friday, May 3rd - Spring Book Fair
- Saturday, May 4th - Spring Carnival
- Monday, May 6th - Spotlight on the Arts (Grade 1 @ 6:45 PM; Grade 5 @ 8:00 PM)
- Thursday, May 9th - Seussical Jr. Performance at 7:00 PM
- Friday, May 10th - Seussical Jr. Performance at 7:00 PM
- Monday, May 13th - Friday, May 17th - Home & School Clothing Drive
- Thursday, May 23rd - Home & School Meeting @ 7:30 PM
Motivational Speaker Reaches Students
On Thursday, April 11th, our 5th and 6th graders were able to take part in what several children described as a “life changing” event. Mark Brown, a truly brilliant motivational speaker, talked to the children about bullying. Using the analogy of the well-loved Disney movie, Beauty and the Beast, Mr. Brown challenged the students to examine their own attitudes and behavior with respect to how they treat one another. He had the students laughing one moment at his humorous stories and memories and crying the next at his thought-provoking explanations and questions. He shared his own life experience about growing up in Kingston, Jamaica and being tormented by three girls in sixth grade. Despite the 40 years that have passed since he was in sixth grade, Mr. Brown told the children that he still feels the same worry and pain when he looks at school pictures from that time. He then asked them to consider how they would like to be remembered when former classmates look at their picture 40 years in the future. Based on the children’s reactions, it was evident that they took Mr. Brown’s message to heart. We can only hope that your child shared positive information with you about this experience.
Staff Pillo-Polo Game - Come one, come all!
On Friday, April 26th the Staff vs. Staff Pillo-Polo Game will take place at Tohickon Middle School beginning at 4:00 PM. This year we will be donating all proceeds to The Bucks County Housing Group.
This annual event has been well supported by the Gayman community so please come out to cheer for your favorite team!!
Concessions Needs Your Help!
We have several events coming up which need your support! Please consider donating an hour of your time to work at one of these events:
Friday, April 26th – Surprise Ice Cream Party for Students During Lunch
Friday, April 26th – Teacher Pillo Polo game at Tohickon starting at 4:00 PM
Thursday, May 9th & Friday, May 10th – Gayman Play
Please see the link below to sign up.