We Are Sailing Through Kindergarten!
October 16th, 2015
- We had our kick-off to our community service project, Giving Change to Make a Change. We wore our favorite superhero shirts and had a really meaningful discussion about heroes. We realized that we don't need to have super powers to be heroes. We now believe that we can be someone's hero with our acts of kindness. For the month of October (10/8-10/27), we will be collecting spare change here at School #6 to raise money for Oceanside Community Service. If you have any spare change lying around the house, please consider sending it in for our project! Take this as an opportunity to talk with your child about helping others and being someone else's hero.
Things we've learned...
- We continued learning the following high frequency words: the and little. We also continued learning our super star high frequency word: can. Please review these words with your child at home.
- We learned the following Amazing Words: bakery, chaperone, fire station, library, park, and post office.
- In math, we reviewed and practiced comparing numbers and writing numbers 0-5.
- We learned about ways we can show good citizenship. We know that good citizens follow the rules, help others, and show respect.
- We learned the feeling word belong. We know that when we feel like we belong, we feel like we are a part of a group of other people who want us to be with them. We also learned that belong is in the green on the Mood Meter. We can't wait to use our new feeling word during our Mood Meter check-ins each morning.
- Next week we are going to begin delving into letter sounds. We will begin by practicing the sound for Mm all week. As we begin to work on our letter sounds, we will also practice applying those sounds to read words. Please continue to work with your child on recognizing and identifying letters at home. Together, as a team, we can help your child become a SUPERSTAR reader!
- We have been sitting with each child to find out if they know their personal information (address and phone number). Please take the time to help your child learn their personal information. Making a song out of an address or phone number is a fun and easy way to remember!
Books we've read...
- MIss Bindergarten Takes a Field Trip with Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
- Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
- Sebastian's Roller Skates by Joan De Deu Prats
- Guji Guji by Zhiyuan Chen
- I Need My Monster by Amanda Knoll
I Need My Monster read by Rita Moreno
STAR OF THE WEEK
We did not have a star student this week due to our day off (full weeks of school only---our star students need five full days to shine!). We are excited to learn about our star student next week!
- Please continue to bring your ID with you at dismissal. It is a School #6 policy to always have your ID with you at dismissal. In the event that there is a substitute teacher, you will be required to show identification.
- Please make sure your child’s name is on all homework, notes, etc.
- If your child is absent from school, please send in an absent note the day your child returns. Thank you!
- To see more pictures from our days at School #6, check out our school page on the district website!