Standard Middle Warriors
Family Newsletter - March 2019
Late Starts EVERY Monday!
The Warrior Way
A word from Mrs. Denton, Principal
We are thrilled with our student progress this month! The 3rd quarter of the year tends to be very rigorous as we move well into content mastery of grade level standards and begin to prepare students for the upcoming state test dates in April. For some students, this can lead to "learning fatigue". We encourage you to be positive and supportive with your students during this time. Ask about not just how their day went, but what are they learning, and do they find it enjoyable and interesting. Sparking conversation with your students reassures them that there is value in learning and achieving. Thank you for the sharing your children with us everyday!
- You can find us on social media! Follow us on Twitter @StandardWarrior
- We have 15 music students who tried out and made the Honor Band and Honor Choir for the county! We are proud of their hard work. They will perform at Rabbobank on March 2nd.
- Competitive Academic Teams: We currently have teams planning and practicing for History Day, Math Field Day, and the Knowledge Bowl. If your student is interested, please have them talk with their advisory teachers.
- Fine Arts Department: We are very excited about a joined effort from our Fine Arts Department for the upcoming Spring Musical! April 4th students from Drama, Choir, and Band will be performing in High School Musical! Over 50 students auditioned for this epic production. Mark your calendars!
- Knowledge Bowl students will compete on Saturday March 2nd. Show what you know, Warriors!
- We are looking forward to our 5 project submissions to the Kern County History Day competition on March 9th. Our students should be proud of all of their hard work.
- AVID classes are attending field trips to Pepperdine University and CSUB this month.
- 6th grade students are headed to Camp Keep.
- 7th grade students will be going to the Natural History Museum at Exposition Park.
- 8th grade students will be studying Science at the LA Zoo and Botanical Gardens.
- AAA Saturday School Dates will resume March 2nd. If you would like your student to attend, come by the school office and complete a registration form.
- We still need MALE chaperones for Camp Keep! If you are someone or know someone who is over 18 and can spend a week in March at the coast with our students, we need your help. Please call the school at 392-2130 for more information.
Stay involved in the academic and social areas of your middle school student's life. Here are some ways to do that:
- Know where your students are before and after school. Also please remember campus does not open or have supervision until 8:00 a.m. on school days.
- Have access to your student's information through our Parent Portal on Infinite Campus.
- Make sure your contact information is current. Call the school to update phone numbers and addresses. You may update your email through Parent Portal.
- Stay connected by keeping up-to-date through our social media and school webpage.
- Join REMIND for quick school messages (see below)
- Join our parent groups-volunteers are always appreciated.
We Love Our Warriors!
Infinite Campus Parent Portal Access is a website that allows parents to access information about the student including grades, assignments and attendance. For your login credentials - please contact the school office (661) 392-2130.
PTSA Parent-Teacher-Student Association
Cost: Only $6 per person (students can join as well as parents!) Join anytime this year!
Purpose: To host activities and raise funds for student events and supplies that support the mission of Standard Middle School.
Benefits: YOU can make a difference and have a voice in what experiences we can create for our students!
Contacts: Amber Olson, President
Use the Standard Middle PTSA Facebook page to contact us directly or contact the school 392-2130.