By: Paola Iseley
Located on the south-east pert of Texas near the Gulf of Mexico.
Festival of Lights
November 22-23, 2013 Lake Jackson will kick off the holiday season with a family friendly festival for all ages – the annual Festival of Lights!
The park is open and ready for guests!
The History of Jackson County
- Jackson County was founded in 1836
- Jackson county was thoroughly explored by Cabeza de Vaca.
- The French made settlement at Fort St.Louis in 1685
- Many famous names are found on pages of the history of Jackson County, James Bowie, Stephen F. Austin, Robert LaSalle and Sam Houston.
- Prestido La Bahia and mission Espiritu Santo de Zuniga were established at the site of LaSalle's old fort on Garcitas creek in 1722.
- The first settlers began to arrive in December, 1821, but the provisional government refused to approve the Spanish grant.
- In the 16th century inhabitants of this area were coastal bands known as Karankawas, and a number of inland groups referred to as the Coahuiltecans.