Weekday . . . News and Notes
St. Gabriel School ............ September 24, 2015
PREVIEW OF CONTENTS
Frequent Grizzly Links
From the Office
- Club & Sports right after school
- St.Gabriel Hot Lunch Program
- Apples for Students
From the School
- 1-1 now live!
- From the Art Room
- Band Concert
Clubs for Brain Power, Creative Artist, Spiritual Growth and Service and Athlete
- Debate Club
- Art Club - revised
- Altar Servers and Mass Readers
- Basketball Coaches
From the PTU
- General PTU info
- Grizzly Magnets
- Gym Uniform, Sweatshirts, Grizzly Gear orders
From the Parish
- Fall Into Faith
- St. Vincent DePaul Walk
- Paul Todd Benefit Concert
FROM THE OFFICE
REMINDER TOMORROW ....
September 25 - Feast of St. Gabriel School Spirit Day
- Afternoon Assembly with Student Council inauguration and presentations
- Dress Down Day, see Spirit Day Dress Code guidelines
- NOTE -- NO hot lunch or a la carte - PACKED LUNCH needed
- 8:05 School Liturgy
- 9:20 Gr 8 "Get the Score" by Lake Catholic High School
Special apologies to our friends at Lake Catholic High School for the mis-communication in previous Newsletters
* Sunday VB had wrong school name *
Clubs & Sports that meet right after school
Students will report to the designated location when they hear all after school activities announced.
Additionally, if the leader/coach provides one list of the group roster along with meeting dates/times/location to the office it would allow us to add the information to the calendar and save the parent from having to send in a blue note each week/month.
Please direct all questions and rosters to Michelle Clarke at email@example.com
St. Gabriel Hot Lunch Program Notes
- $2.75 -- Cost of hot lunch, which includes main course, 2 fruit/vegetables, milk
- Monthly Menu posted on school website and Frequent Grizzly Links
- A La Carte for cash
- Free or Reduced Price application available
Apples for Students
Register your Giant Eagle Advantage Card® and use it every time you shop at our stores to raise funds for your school!
Our school code is 2831
It’s Easy to Register!
- Sign in to gianteagle.com or create an account.
- Register your Giant Eagle Advantage Card® online.
- Visit the My School Programs page and enter the code of the school that you’d like to receive points. You can also register to earn points for more than one school! Don’t know your school code? Search for it by name, city or zip code.
- You’re done! Be sure to encourage your family and friends to register, too.
Message from the Art Room
The year is already off to a great start and many classes are already finishing their first project. All projects completed in Art Class will be posted to Artsonia, our school’s online art gallery. If you see a work of art posted on your child’s account and it is not sent home, please assume that I have kept this work for the upcoming Art Show. St. Gabes hosts two Art Shows a year. The first one is during during Catholic Schools Week (January 31, 2016) and the second one is during Young Author/Artists Night (May 26, 2016). All work selected will be sent home when the show is taken down.
ST. GABRIEL SCHOOL BAND
- Thursday, December 3rd
- Concert starts at 7PM
- Students will need to be at LCHS at 6:15PM.
Concert is at Lake Catholic High School
CLUBS and EXTRACURRICULARS for Building Brain Power
The Debate Club begins September 29th, and meets monthly after school fron 2:30--3:30pm throughout the year -- see dates in information flyer and registration flyer below. It is open to Grades 6, 7, and 8, monitored by Mr. Eric Butler. Parents must pick up students at 3:35pm.
The St. Gabriel Debate Club helps students understand how to debate and why it is such an important skill. Students study many different aspects of debate such as the "art of arguing", how to research facts to enhance an argument, popular topics to debate, and how to apply debating to everyday life. Students learn such skills as
- the right kind of physical actions to use
- how to include data in an argument
- how to do a rebuttal correctly
- how to observe and critiques persons in the public arena, such as presidents, and congressmen and congress women.
Debating is also important if students plan to join mock trial club in high school, which competes with other schools in a courtroom setting. Debating is actually used everywhere, and can lead to very heated, but very intellectual conversations with others when it comes to areas such as religion, politics and sports.
CLUBS and EXTRACURRICULARS for the Creative Artist
UPDATE: Art Club is filled and if you want your child to be put on the waiting list you can fill out the Google Form but not submit payment yet.
Art Club is an after school activity that allows students a greater chance to explore art materials, processes, projects, etc. We offer two separate six week sessions. This club is open to St. Gabriel students, 2nd grade and up. We meet on Thursdays after school in the Art room, from 2:30-3:45pm. Art Club is $60 per session. The dates for the two separate sessions are listed below.
1st Session--Thursdays, 2:30--3:45pm
Oct. 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th & Nov. 5th
CLUBS and EXTRACURRICULARS for Spiritual Growth and Service
Altar Servers and Mass Readers
Fifth through eighth graders are invited to take training and sign up to be Altar Servers and Mass Readers for school,and also parish Masses. Ms. Maureen Dowd, firstname.lastname@example.org, leads these groups and schedules training through the parish.
The coaches meeting will be Oct.7th from 7:30-9:00, at the Learning Loft great room.
This is a mandatory meeting if you plan on coaching or are interested in coaching basketball this season.
Any questions please email Karl Bohr at email@example.com
Catholic Youth Organization (CYO)
St. Gabriel's CYO consists of many sports programs. These include:
Football, Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, Soccer, Baseball, Fast Pitch Softball, Track, Cheer.
Watch for announcements for sign-ups, or check out the CYO Grizzly website:
CYO GRIZZLY WEBSITE: www.st-gabrielcyo.org
For more information contact: Mike Pecjak, CYO Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5:00 pm - 8:30 pm-$3.00/person at door
- November 5
- January 28
- May 3
From 5:00 pm - 8:30 pm
$3.00 / per person at the door
United Skates in Wickliffe
FROM THE PARISH
St. Vincent DePaul Walk - more information
While the Friends of the Poor Walk will occur during the week of the Pontiff's U.S. visit, it's unlikely that he will be able to stop by our local Council's Friends of the Poor Walk sites. But Pope Francis will no doubt be with us that day in spirit, as he has said, "Unity happens when we walk together."
In the humble spirit of Pope Francis and St. Vincent de Paul, we invite all friends, their families and those we serve to "walk with the Pope" at the September 26 fundraiser in order to truly live out his call to help those in poverty.
This is an easy way to raise funds for your Conference! If you designate your pledges to a Conference, 100% of them will go to that Conference.
Now in its fourth year, the walk will be held from 10AM to noon (registration begins at 9AM) at four locations:
* Concord Woods Park, 11211 Spear Road in Concord Township
* Richfield Woods Park, 4100 Broadview Road in Richfield
* John Torok Community & Senior Center, 4224 Massillon Road in Green
* Cleveland Metroparks Brookside Reservation, 4101 Fulton Parkway in Cleveland
This is a fun way for Conferences to raise money for the poor in their neighborhoods. Registration is free. To register or donate, click here And remember to spread the word and encourage friends and family to donate and/or participate in the fun!