Voyager Family News
Week of June 1, 2020: Enrichment
Strand Spotlights and Info:
Dear Voyager Families,
Congratulations on completing instruction for school year 2019-20, with you as our partners! We wish we could end the year with you in our customary way, with hugs and in-person celebrations. We thank you for your teamwork, patience, determination, and understanding as we collaborated with you in distance learning. We are so proud of our families for supporting your students' health, well-being, and learning in new ways during this time!
Ms. Moore will continue to stay in touch with families throughout the summer via our website, intermittent family newsletters, and Facebook.
- Please see the Special 5th Grade News Section below!
- Meal Pickup will be on Monday 11-1 PM.
- Your teachers have let you know if there are items in the office from classrooms for your student, but we also have art every student made in VAPA available for pickup, so come on by between 9 and 2 PM any day!
Delivery of yearbooks has been delayed due to COVID19. We will still receive your yearbooks, but they may arrive after the end of school, tracking sometime in July. Once we receive them, we will post on the school and PTO social media pages a day/time that they can be picked up from the school. Additional yearbooks are still available online to buy at https://www.balfour.com/california/coronado/silver-strand-elementary-schoolYou can make purchases in person on distribution day as well. The price is $20 for PTO members, $25 for non-members. For families that may have moved away by this time, please provide the front office with a forwarding address once you have one and we will get them shipped to you. Stay tuned for more information as we receive it. Thank you for your support!
SSES Garden Volunteers Needed: Staff member Sandy White is retiring, and she has been our faithful gardener and Garden Club leader. We are seeking community members who would love to look after our garden by weekly watering, planting, weeding, etc. There is an SSES budget for supplies and we would be able to provide you access. This would be a great volunteer activity for a family or a group of interested parents! Please email Ms. Moore if you are interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your SSES PTO is accepting nominations for Board positions for next year. Please see PTO section below for more information!
OUR THEME FOR THE WEEK is BREATHE: It's time to take a deep breath and congratulate yourselves on an incredible job supporting your students, one another, and your families through quarantine and distance learning. Inhale, exhale, and appreciate BREATH in this moment!
More News and Updates:
Principal Jenny Moore remains available by email should you have any questions during our closure: email@example.com.
All school facilities beyond the office are closed during this time, including fields, playgrounds, and sports facilities. Please remind your family members that they may not access our grounds for their own health and safety and that of staff members who may need to be onsite.
5th Grade News
- Please see important new 6th grade information from CMS Principal Karin Mellina here.
- Students entering 6th grade at Coronado Middle School next year are invited to a “CMS Connections” zoom call hosted by CMS 8th grader Dylan Berk and other members of the CMS Associated Student Body. During the call, a panel of student leaders will be answering questions from students about academics, electives, sports, visual/performing arts, and other CMS activities. The call will be led by 8th grade students and monitored by CMS interim assistant principal Mr. Keller.Monday, June 8 9:00 am - 9:45 am: Students with last names AK : Zoom Link; Monday, June 8 10:00 am - 10:45 am : Students with last names L-Z : Zoom Link
- Prerecorded Promotion Zoom: We plan to provide a prerecorded Zoom featuring SSES staff recognizing and naming all Strand 5th graders as we would in a live in-person ceremony so that families may watch together beginning on Wednesday, June 10.
- Drive-Up Certificates and Recognition Guidelines: Please plan on driving up to SSES during your designated timeframe between 9 and 11 AM on Thursday, June 11. Schedule for families to drive up:
- 9:00-9:30: Yakutis students Baltazar through Marin
- 9:30-10:00: Yakutis students Melendez through Yeatman
- 10:00-10:30: Cavanaugh students Ayers through Park
- 10:30-11:00: Cavanaugh students Pedregon through Worth
- Here are the guidelines we are following:
- All staff support, administration, volunteers, and law enforcement will wear face covering at all times.
- All staff support, administration, volunteers, and law enforcement will maintain 6' social distancing protocol, at all times, throughout the event.
- One car per family; family members must remain in the car.
- Certificate will be placed on a table by staff wearing gloves for student to retrieve
- Photographer will snap a photo of student receiving certificate
- Participants must leave the area after retrieving certificate.
- No gathering prior to, during, or after the ceremony.
- No sales, exchanges of goods or food, or restrooms permitted during the promotion.
- Persons at higher risk for severe symptoms of COVID-19 are encouraged to stay home.
- Thank you to 5th Grade parent Jessica Nelson, who is helping compile a video celebration featuring our 5th graders! Please use this link to send in a recording of your 5th grader! It's easy!
- You may order a customized yard sign for your SSES 5th grader: The cost of 12” x 16” Sign is $12 and includes a stake and child’s name on the bottom. Send e-mail to CoronadoSign@gmail.com with Child’s name, school, home address and we will deliver before the 29th. Payments can be made via Venmo: @Stefan-Freeman-2 or Paypal: CoronadoSign@gmail.com See photo example below!
- Preorder 5th Grade Shirts by Thursday 5/28. $14. Call 619-477-7676 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More info in photos below!
- Game Club/Message from Coronado SAFE: We've been hearing a lot from rising 6th graders that they are nervous to transition into middle school, especially with the circumstances COVID brings. We would like to invite all 5th graders from both public and private schools to join our weekly game club. This will give the opportunity to see both familiar and unfamiliar faces as they have fun, change their routine, learn new ways to use Zoom with friends, and start to feel integrated into the middle school community.
The Zoom information is listed below:
Coronado SAFE is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Game Club- Middle
Time: May 28, 2020 03:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Thu, until Jul 30, 2020, 10 occurrence(s)
May 28, 2020 03:30 PM
Jun 4, 2020 03:30 PM
Jun 11, 2020 03:30 PM
Jun 18, 2020 03:30 PM
Jun 25, 2020 03:30 PM
Jul 2, 2020 03:30 PM
Jul 9, 2020 03:30 PM
Jul 16, 2020 03:30 PM
Jul 23, 2020 03:30 PM
Jul 30, 2020 03:30 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 832 9454 5002
CUSD GRAB-AND-GO MEAL SERVICE
Grab-and-Go Meal Service at Village Elementary and Silver Strand
Location: Multi-Purpose Rooms at VES (H Street) and Silver Strand Elementary
Distribution Time: 11:00AM - 1:00PM
All families with children 18 and under will be able to pick up free breakfast and lunch meals via curb-side pick-up. Each child will receive one hot lunch (a slice of Papa John’s cheese pizza) and a bag that contains 5 days’ worth of meals for breakfast and lunch. Meals may consist of packaged, refrigerated, and/or frozen items (heating instructions will be provided). Children are not required to be students of Coronado Unified School District.
Students who are receiving meals are encouraged to be physically present at the time of pick-up. Additionally, adults may pick up meals for students not present by printing and submitting this form at the time of pick-up. All meals will be distributed curb-side to decrease the risk of exposure. Only those in cars will be served meals during this pick-up window, no walk ups or bicycles allowed in order to maintain social distancing. If you are unable to pick-up meals by car, please email Charity.Campbell@coronadousd.net on or before Friday, April 3 at noon and we will schedule an alternative window to pick-up a meal.
Awesome Online Learning Resources During School Closure!
Find our District's Elementary Learning Plan here.
Our Computer Lab page on the school website has login information for your students and academic websites your students use can be found here. Military-connected students may access https://military.tutor.com/home for free K-12 education support.
SSES VAPA Teacher Ms. Mirtallo has created a VAPA Google Classroom with EXTRA activities for your child (use code jsobtih to join).
Ms. Moy's INNOVATION PAGE will connect students with engineering activities! Use code xfiijjp.
Coach JD has an awesome PE page with fun activities! Use code 3x7ci5f.
Ms. Moore's Google Classroom has Friday Flagpole video and read-alouds. Use code lnsdirh.
American Heart Association Kids Heart Challenge: sign your family up for 10 days of heart-healthy activities at https://www2.heart.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=khc_resources_search through our school.
Your APEX Fun Run Team has provided a FANTASTIC packet of daily activities--see the link below this section!
This Week and Next:
Mon 6/1: Meal Pickup, 11-1 PM
Fri 6/5: Virtual Friday Flagpole
Wed 6/10: Promotion Ceremony Prerecorded Zoom available to families
Thurs 6/11: Last Day of School
- 9-11 AM Drive-Up 5th Grade Promotion
Office open through June 30
Military Connections: MFLC Availability During Quarantine
Don’t forget your school-based Military Family & Life Counselor (MFLC) is available for non-medical, telephonic or video counseling! UPDATE: South Bay Union MFLC is now able to assist military-connected families at ALL SBUSD schools. Your MFLC contact info is below or bookmark https://www.navylifesw.com/at-home/counseling for quick access. While there, you may also want to check out the other “@Home” tabs full of helpful and fun resources.
SILVER STRAND ELEMENTARY
As each district looks to the future and prepares for the 2020/2021 school year, I encourage you to continue monitoring your district and school websites to stay up-to-date.
- Coronado Unified School District: www.coronadousd.net
- Today, May 29, is the last day of student grading and teacher-driven distance learning. CUSD schools will now transition to a Springboard to Summer enrichment model to allow teachers and staff time to prepare a robust learning plan for the start of school on August 27. Read the latest update from Superintendent Mueller: https://www.smore.com/tnpxz-cusd-update?ref=email
NAVAL BASE CORONADO FACEBOOK LIVE TOWN HALL
Tuesday, June 2, Noon
Join Naval Base Coronado's Skipper DePree for a conversation about our base, our community and our new normal. Ask questions/get answers about PPV Housing, PCS moves, NGIS and Navy Lodge, FFSC supports, school updates, CYP and MWR programs, or anything else that’s on your mind. The virtual Town Hall Meeting will be held via Facebook Live. All are welcome! https://www.facebook.com/NavalBaseCoronado/
SILVER STRAND ELEMENTARY ANCHORED-4-LIFE VIRTUAL CONNECTION
The Anchored-4-Life (A4L) team at Silver Strand Elementary virtually connected last Friday to participate in a fun craft project. Each A4L leader was asked to share one positive attribute of a military child on their decorated puzzle piece. As you can see by the jpg attached, we have some great artists! The attributes chosen included HELPFUL, FUN, TOUGH, TIGER CRUISE, STRONG, PROUD AND EXPLOER. Do you agree?
FAFSA, FINANCIAL AID & COLLEGE ENROLLMENT ARTICLE
Here’s an interesting and thought provoking article pertaining to FAFSA applications and financial aid that may lead to additional dollars for your student: https://www.fastweb.com/student-news/articles/coronavirus-impacts-fafsa-applications-college-enrollment?utm_source=solo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200528_MCV
SDCOE WORLD OF WORK (WOW) WEEK
The San Diego County Office of Education is offering free 30-minute online “live industry chats” open to any student, parent and educator. This is a great way for students to explore careers and learn about SDCOE as a future employer. See the attached flyer or contact Peyri Herrera, email@example.com, for details.
PREVENTING THE SUMMER SLIDE – COVID-19 CHALLENGES WEBINAR
Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 9-10 am
Research shows children’s reading skills can regress, on average, by 25% in the summer. Math skills also suffer during this break in learning. With the significant changes in learning environments due to COVID-19, greater declines in learning retention are expected. Recovery periods in the new school year are likely to be longer as well. The Military Child Education Coalition webinar is hosting an interactive webinar to uncover ways parents can engage their children in educational activities during the summer without them even noticing they are doing it. Let’s help reduce the “summer slide” in learning losses! Register: https://events-na5.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/968319730/en/events/event/private/1825780098/2326822698/event_registration.html?connect-session=na5breezbm845b378kpfzqd6&sco-id=2326819902&_charset_=utf-8
WEEKLY ORGANIZATION SPOTLIGHT
There are numerous organizations who provide valuable assistance and resources to military families. Each week, I will highlight one such organization. This is for informational purposes only and does not constitute or imply endorsement by the United States Department of Defense or the United States Department of the Navy.
This week’s organization: Support The Enlisted Project (STEP), https://www.stepsocal.org/services
STEP builds financial self-sufficiency among junior active duty enlisted service members and recently discharged enlisted Veterans and their families in Southern California facing financial crisis through counseling, education and grants.
NavyMWRDigitalLibrary.org is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Digital customers enjoy e-books and audiobooks, foreign language learning, test prep, and research resources that support lifelong learning, and professional and recreational reading. Check it out at https://www.navymwr.org/navy-mwr-at-home/library. And while there, learn about the “Spring Into Reading Challenge” where you could win a gift card just for reading!
FLEET & FAMLY SUPPORT PROGRAMS WEBINARS
NRSW Fleet & Family Support Centers are now offering free, interactive and informative webinars online. These webinars are open to Service Members, families, and civilian government employees. See the attached “NRSW Fleet and Family Support Webinars” flyer for full details and registration information or visit https://learning.zeiders.refineddata.com/login/index.php.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Marie Millard! Our MFLC is available to help students and their families through the emotions and transitions associated with military life.
Video Teleconferencing Services Now Available! (see flyer below this section)
Military & Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are here to listen now more than ever. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, MFLCs can now offer video teleconferencing
services to help Service Members, spouses, children and staff address:
» Deployment and reintegration issues
» Marriage and relationship issues
» Parenting and family issues
» Communication challenges
» Stress and anxiety
» Sadness, grief and loss
» Daily life issues
Consultations and trainings are free and anonymous.* No records are kept. The MFLC Program is intended for all Services, Guard and Reserve components.
After-hours and weekend appointments are available. Group or off-site meetings can be arranged.
Scheduling an appointment is easy!
Just call your MFLC at 619-592-0093.
SILVER STRAND ELEM
Military Spouse Support Meetings:
ECDC Wed. May 20 8:30-9:30 Transitions
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
PTO News and Updates
The PTO Board is seeking and accepting nominations for the Executive Board positions. This is a wonderful opportunity to give back to the school community by giving your time and talent through serving on a board. It is also a great resume builder where many skills can be gained and enhanced such as leadership, communication and teamwork. All PTO members can run or be nominated by another member. If you are interested in running or nominating someone, please send an email to silverstrandPTO@gmail.com. We will ask for these nominations again as the new school year resumes and look forward to holding elections then as we have canceled our June 4 meeting. The specific positions open for school year 2020-2021 are: President, Vice President and Secretary; however please note all positions are open for nominations per the bylaws.
See the position descriptions here:
a. President. The President shall prepare the meeting agenda and send it to the Secretary for disbursement, preside over the meetings of the organization and Executive
Board (Board), serve as the primary contact for the Principal, represent the organization
at meetings outside the organization, serve as an ex officio member of all committees,
and coordinate the work of all other officers and committees so that the purpose of the
organization is served.
b. Vice President. The Vice President shall assist the President and carry out the
President's duties in his or her absence or inability to serve.
c. Secretary. The Secretary shall keep all records of the organization, take and
record minutes, handle correspondence and send notices of meetings and their
corresponding agenda to the membership. The Secretary shall keep and send the minutes, a
membership list, a copy of the bylaws, a copy of the standing rules, a copy of the conflict
of interest policy and any other necessary supplies.
d. Treasurer. The Treasurer shall receive all funds of the organization, keep an
accurate record of receipts and expenditures, and pay out funds in accordance with the
approval of the Board. He or she will present a financial statement at every meeting and
at other times of the year when requested by the Board, and make a full report at the end
of the year. The Treasurer shall remain available beyond the end of his or her term, until
the taxes are complete, to answer questions and provide any information needed.
e. Parliamentarian. The Parliamentarian shall advise the President on questions
of parliamentary procedure, ensure meetings are carried out in an efficient manner, keep
the bylaws, conflict of interest policy and standing rules of the organization, and amend
the bylaws as needed in accordance with Article XI below.
Silver Strand Luau: We are so very sad to report that our SSES PTO and Principal Moore have made the difficult decision to cancel our Silver Strand Luau scheduled for April 24. We are so grateful for our PTO volunteers, parents, and staff who were preparing for this amazing event, along with a slate of amazing vendors and services. We fully intend to reschedule and hold our 25th Luau, but are not in the position to designate a new date at this time. Thank you for your donations and volunteerism--we look forward to mobilizing our forces in support of family togetherness and our wonderful school community SOON! We will have SO MUCH to CELEBRATE!
Put your child's Name in Lights on the Silver Strand's Marquee Sign! We now have a convenient online form to easily schedule your Birthday, Welcome or Farewell message! The cost is $20 and your donation supports the SSES PTO! Schedule online now: http://bit.ly/NAMEINLIGHTS
Silver Strand PTO Board
- President: Lori Blauert
- Vice President: Nellie Ritter
- Treasurer: Leslie Broussard
- Secretary: Leigh-Ann Williamson
- Parliamentarian: Lisa Emme
Silver Strand PTO
Call or Text: 619-537-8782
In addition to building community, supporting curriculum, and enriching students' school experience, the Silver Strand PTO is responsible for Family Fun Nights, Holiday Shoppe, Yearbook and Luau to name a few. Our fundraising efforts provide for school field trips and enrichments clubs. We are unable to do what we do without the support of Silver Strand families, teachers and staff.
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling. See flyers below for upcoming events.
Coronado SAFE is here and available to support SSES families. Here are a few things we are doing, please let us know how else we can help during this time:
- SAFE's Counseling is now available virtually by phone or video.
- Free Mental Health Wellness Checks and other COVID-19 Resources are available to the Coronado community
- SAFE is currently working on two virtual programs that we hope to finalize the details on this week. We can send out info as soon as it is finalized. We are encouraging people to sign up for our newsletteror Like our Facebook page in order to stay up to date on our programs.
- Virtual Art and Expression group for elementary kids, hoping to start within next two weeks
- Virtual Parent Support Group. Currently full but considering starting another one if there is enough interest.
See the flyer below for resources on navigating physical distancing.
Coronado Schools Foundation Events & Updates:
Coronado Schools Foundation’s mission is to raise and manage funds to provide exceptional learning experiences for all Coronado Unified School District students. We thank you for your partnership in this time of public uncertainty and applaud each one of you for continuing your commitment to the educational enrichment of our children.
CAUGHT BEING AWESOME!
As our educators, parents, and community come together to connect, challenge and champion our students during our district closure, we are humbled by the outpouring of compliments during these trying times. What a positive testament to our CUSD family!
Click here to recognize a student, family member, employee, or volunteer who goes above and beyond to make a difference. Those who are "caught" will receive a copy of the positive words that were shared about them and a "Caught Being Awesome" decal. Please take a minute or two to brighten someone else's day!
The blue crosswalk in the middle of the dropoff/pickup area is reserved for use by school community members with disabilities during our busiest times. If you park to walk into school with your child, please use the crosswalk by Strand Hall.
When dropping off or picking up your students, please stay to the right. The left lane is for parking and is not safe for passing, except when directed by school staff/crossing guard in the afternoons.
2019-20 Parent and Student Handbook
Community Agreements and Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
How Does Coronado Unified School District Communicate with Families?
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/