The Woodlands High School
Highlander Happenings August 10, 2020
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:
All students will begin virtual instruction on Wednesday, August 12, 2020. The CISD virtual instruction period will be extended through Friday, September 4th.
On the first day of school, students must log in and complete/engage in an activity through their learning management system - Canvas to be counted as present. Students/parents may also make contact or engage on the first day of school by emailing or speaking with their child's teacher/campus.
Any student who does not engage or make contact with the campus/teacher on August 12 will be unenrolled per TEA’s rules. Parents must contact the campus registrar to reenroll.
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! Please take a moment to review the attendance procedures we feel will ensure a smooth, successful year.
All students will begin online virtual instruction starting on Wednesday August 12, 2020.
Attendance for students during the virtual instruction period from August 12th - September 4th will be taken per class daily. Students must follow the directions provided by their teachers to access virtual instruction so that their attendance is noted. For students who fail to engage in virtual instruction, absences will accrue and all attendance policies will be in effect. Students must be in attendance at least 90% of the time that classes are in session.
To report an absence, please call:
9th Grade (832) 592-8025
10th Grade (936) 709-1234
11th Grade (936) 709-1236
12th Grade (936) 709-1233
A full explanation of policies concerning attendance can be found in the TWHS Student/Parent handbook. The Attendance Office staff will happily answer any questions and assist you with any attendance related concerns. Feel free to call the numbers above at any time. You may leave a message if you call outside of the 7:00 to 3:00 office hours.
All students are able to access their class schedules for the fall semester through the Student Access portal.
RED/GREEN DAY SCHEDULE: The Woodland High School uses the Red/Green schedule. A school calendar listing red and green calendar days is posted on TWHS website. Students will have 8 classes with periods 1-4 on Red days and periods 5-8 on Green days. Advisory classes will meet on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Students will not have Advisory on Monday, Tuesday, or Friday. The bell schedule can also be viewed on our webpage.
2020-2021 COUNSELORS & ADMINISTRATORS:
Senior Campus Counselor Assignments
Ms. Kimm Dwyer A-Bru
Ms. Brittany Darden Brv-Doc
Ms. Tracie Turner Dod-Grig
Ms. Keisha Clarke Grih-Jor
Ms. Angie McNeal Jos-Mars
Ms. Jane Iribarren Mart-Oz
Ms. Emily Bethel P-Sae
Ms. Amy Hollie Saf-Tes
Ms. Tiffani Jaqua Tet-Z
Ms. Stacey Moseley Lead Counselor A-Z
Ms. Kassidy Villegas College & Career A-Z
Senior Campus Administrators
Dr. Ted Landry Principal
Mr. Paul LeBlanc Associate Principal Operations
Dr. Kelly Marchiando Associate Principal Curriculum
Assistant Principal Assignments
Mr. Larry Klapesky A-Coo
Ms. Shawne LeDee Cop-Gul
Ms. Sarah Davidson Gum-Led
Ms. Wendi Spears Lee-Par
Mr. Gary Madore Pas-Smi
Mr. Dennis Muehsler Smj-Z
9th Grade Campus Counselors
Ms. Vicky Woods A-Hai
Ms. Alli Chambers Haj-Pat
Ms. Julie Crain Pau-Z
9th Grade Campus Administrators
Ms. Deborah Shepard Principal
Mr. Patrick Ubernosky Associate Principal
Mr. Adrian Cortez A-K
Ms. Paige Jeanes L-Z
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION:
Due to the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic open houses for both the TWHS 9th grade campus and TWHS Sr campus will be handled virtually. Each teacher will have a short video presentation on their Canvas site for students and parents to view. These videos will be available all semester on Canvas.
VIRTUAL CONFERENCE CLASSROOM ETIQUETTE:
- Find a space in your home that is conducive to learning: no movement and quiet with few distractions.
- You should not walk around with your video device while on the conference.
- Make sure that you are appropriately dressed (school dress code).
- Close unneeded applications on your computer. This helps your computer function at maximum capacity.
- Be mindful of your background lighting. If there is a window behind you, it may cast too much light in the video. It is best to have the window in front of you for lighting purposes. Your overhead light may have to be turned on/off. Work with what you have to make it the best it can be. Your presence is more important than your video lighting.
- Be sure that your space does not include visually distracting or inappropriate items (adult beverages), people (dancing siblings), or movement (cars, people walking by)
While on Virtual Conference
- If you are using your own device, use your real name to identify your device. If you are using a parent’s device, notify your teacher.
- Avoid multitasking. Refrain from being on your phone (texting, instagram, snapchat, etc..) while on the conference.
- Mute your mic (lower left corner of your screen). This may be done in advance by your teacher. Do NOT unmute unless you are given permission to do so. This is important because it helps to avoid background noises that can be very distracting to other classmates. It also keeps students from talking over each other (at the same time).
- When you want to answer a question or make a comment, use the “Raise Hand” feature (bottom of “Participants” window). Be sure to unmute yourself when you are given permission to speak.
- When you are done speaking, let everyone know you are finished by saying a sign-off like one of these. “That’s all” or “Thank you”. Your teacher may have a special sign-off for your class.
- Use the Chat box to make a comment or ask a question. Remember that CHAT IS PUBLIC, will be recorded, and is archived. Only post chat messages that are relevant to the lesson or conversation. Keep it positive and kind!
- Your teacher may turn off video in advance of your meeting. If you are asked to turn on the video function, it can be found in the lower left of the screen.
- Be sure to turn off your screen if you have to leave for a moment to go to the restroom or get a drink.
- Have a plan for taking notes or jotting down ideas. We may post recordings of our conferences on CANVAS, but you will probably want to write down the information that is most meaningful for you.
- Remember to log out or “leave the meeting” when the teacher announces that the meeting is over.
COMMON TWHS CANVAS HOMEPAGE:
ONLINE INSTRUCTION CLASSWORK ACCESS:
We encourage students to use the dashboard Card View so that they can enter the course to access the resources. Using the List View on the dashboard or just the Canvas Calendar will not provide the whole lesson in many cases. See the image below to view how to toggle between the different views on the Canvas Dashboard.
PROGRESS REPORT DATES:
Every three weeks updated progress reports will be available through Parent Access. Paper progress reports and report cards will only be distributed to students whose parent/guardian do not have Parent Access Accounts. Parents may access their student’s grades online via Parent Access through the CISD Webpage under the Parents/Students tab.
- Thursday September 3, 2020
- Thursday September 24, 2020
- Thursday October 15, 2020 (Report Card)
- Thursday November 5, 2020
- Thursday December 3, 2020
- Thursday January 6, 2020 (Report Card)
- Thursday January 28, 2021
- Thursday February 18, 2021
- Thursday March 24, 2021 (Report Card)
- Thursday April 15, 2021
- Thursday May 6, 2021
- Thursday May 28, 2021 (Report Card)
STUDENT PARKING UPDATE:
First round parking registration has been completed. Students who met criteria to purchase a parking permit have been notified of their status and will need to access the TWHS webstore at https://conroeisd.schoolcashonline.com/ to make payment and upload both copies of driver's license and insurance card. Students must have their name on insurance card as a driver AND license must be valid Texas license - NO LEARNERS PERMITS ALLOWED. All first-round selected students must remit payment and required documents to the school store no later than September 1st at 5pm. Students who do not meet this requirement will be placed on the waiting list for the 2nd round of parking registration.
Round two of parking opens up Monday, August 10th. Please know that parking is first come first serve moving forward for the year. If you are assigned a parking space, you will be notified.
Students who have parking permits issued must meet attendance and tardy requirements to maintain parking privileges. Students who have alcohol, tobacco/vape, and drug/paraphernalia offenses as well as other significant discipline offenses will receive parking suspensions in accordance with school policy.
All parking space assignments are FINAL. There is no negotiation on space assignments. All questions about parking can be emailed to Mr. Muehsler at email@example.com
Conroe ISD utilizes the School Messenger program to communicate to parents and guardians using email, phone and text messages. Parents and guardians must OPT-IN to receive text messages. If you would like to receive SMS (text message) notifications on your mobile device, please text "Y" to 67587.
Failure to opt-in could result in not receiving timely or emergency text messages from Conroe ISD or The Woodlands High School. For more information, please visithttps://www.conroeisd.net/department/communications/schoolmessenger/.
If you need to update your child's school record with new or additional parent/guardian contact information, please contact the respective campus registrar:
TWHS Main Campus - Greta Champion - firstname.lastname@example.org
TWHS 9th Grade Campus - Carolyn Czubinski - email@example.com
CONROE ISD ROAD MAP TO REOPENING:
CONROE ISD TECHNOLOGY HELP DESK
CURRICULUM ACCESS VIDEOS:
Beginning Thursday, August 13, curbside meals will no longer be free for all students. Breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
- Families are asked to pick up/purchase meals for all of their children at the campus of their oldest child.
- Meals will be available curbside at all campuses on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 AM - 12 PM.
TWHS LOCATIONS FOR CURBSIDE MEAL PICK-UP
TWHS Senior Campus - 5000 Parking lot behind the Cafeteria
TWHS 9th Grade Campus - Front drive enter off of Branch Crossing Dr.
- Multiple meals will be distributed at a time.
- Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/2 lunch meals
- Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/3 lunch meals
- A student meal card must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up.
- This card is located in Parent Access and can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone.
- Any change from a cash transaction will be applied to the student's meal account.
- Pre-payments can be made at www.myschoolbucks.com.
- Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the Child Nutrition website.
Questions? Please contact the Child Nutrition Department at (936) 709-8185.
Meal Prices for 20-21 School Year
Child Nutrition is encouraging parents to make payments on their student's account via www.myschoolbucks.com before meal service periods. This will allow students to move through the serving lines more quickly and limit the handling of monies. Menus are posted on the serving lines in the campus cafeteria, on the Child Nutrition website and are attached to the Collins website.
Full price student $1.50
Reduced price student $.30
Non-student meal and second meal $2.50
Full price student Lunch $3.00
Reduced price student Lunch $.40
Non-student meal and second meal $3.75
Families that have a need and qualify for free or reduced breakfast/lunch purchases must complete an application each year. Free and reduced applications will be processed online. The website to complete a free and reduced application is www.myschoolapps.com.
Please visit the CISD's Frequently Asked Questions site for a comprehensive list of questions and answers regarding the Road Map to Reopening and pertinent information for this school year.
Evening tutorials will be conducted virtually using Canvas starting on Aug. 18th and will continue throughout the school year. In-person evening tutorials will also be offered starting on Sept. 1st in the cafeteria. Sign up information will come later. The schedule will be:
Mondays and Wednesdays
Tuesdays and Thursdays
TWHS SOCIAL MEDIA:
The Woodlands High School has both Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts for each campus. Please make sure you go to the official accounts, as there are several fake accounts on the internet. The official sites are:
www.facebook.com/TWHS9THCISD for the 9th Grade Campus
www.facebook.com/TheWoodlandsHSCISD for the Senior Campus
Twitter handles are @TWHSCISD for the Senior Campus. Twitter for the 9th Grade campus is @TWHS9THCISD.
Instagram handles: For the Senior campus - thewoodlandshs and for the 9th Grade Campus - twhs9thcisd.
TWHS STUDENT MEDIA:
There are several ways to stay connected to the happenings at TWHS - www.twhscaledonian.com is the student news publication. There's a Facebook account (friend TwhsCaledonian) and a Twitter account too - @twhscaledonian, and an Instagram account - twhscaledonian. While mostly dormant over the summer, news is about to pick up with the start of school. Have a story lead? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. While we strive for diversity in our staff and coverage, some stories we miss. Please help us share the great stories of our students, faculty and community.
For the first time, The Caledonian has an App! More details to follow in the next Highlander Happenings.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER:
Students, please log into Naviance and make sure that you have an updated email address listed.
Naviance Student Login: https://student.naviance.com/thewoodlands
To login, you will type in your 6 digit CISD lunch number where it says email and the password is stu+lunch number again. (An example is 123456 and stu123456.)
If you have trouble logging in, please see a staff member in the CCC Room 251.
Once logged in, look under "About Me" and "My Account" to add/update your email address. This will ensure that you receive all communication sent out by the College and Career Center.
Check your emails frequently!
Juniors and Seniors, please check out the CISD Jr/Sr Handbook located on our school webpage under College & Career Center - CISD Resources. This is a very comprehensive resource for exploring and planning your options for after high school.
Seniors, remember to stop by the CCC Room 251 to process requests for counselor or teacher recommendation letters in person as this is not done online. Check out the College & Career Center page of our school website to find links and instructions for brag sheets, transcript requests, setting up college visits, and sending test scores, as well as other resources. Official transcript requests can be made online through Naviance Student. Unofficial transcript requests are made in the CCC Room 251.https://twhs.conroeisd.net/counseling/counseling/college-career-center/
Students are required to wear a cloth mask/cloth face covering or non-medical grade mask while at school unless they provide a written medical exemption from a physician. Students whose families do not want their child to wear a cloth face mask/cloth face covering, non-medical grade mask for any reason other than a medical reason should select the Remote/Online Instruction option for their child.
The state is requiring that all students be up to date on their vaccines in order to be eligible to start school on August 12th, even if instruction is not being given in person. If your child is missing a vaccine or an updated Conscientious Objector exemption form, you will have received an email in the past two weeks with that information from Mrs. Ansley, the school nurse. Updated vaccine records can be emailed to email@example.com, or dropped off at the front office at school. For Conscientious Objector exemptions, the original notarized form must be turned in.
If your child will require medication at school this year, attached is the medication permission form that will need to be completed for each medication. If your child will need a Seizure Action Plan, Asthma Action Plan. or Severe Allergy Action Plan, please email Mrs. Ansley at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive those forms, and we will schedule a time for you to check in the medication and paperwork.
NEW THIS YEAR: Doctor's orders are required for over the counter medications that could possibly mask the symptoms of COVID. Any medications used to treat symptoms consistent with COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, headache, sore throat, and body aches will not be administered without a current healthcare provider’s note. This would include metered dose inhalers, cough and cold medications, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. At this time, nebulized medications will not be administered during the school day. You can more find information in the CISD Roadmap to Reopening at https://www.conroeisd.net/roadmap-to-reopening/in-person-instruction/#health
The Woodlands High School Scuba Club will hold its first meeting Monday, September 14th, at 3pm in the Senior Campus LGI. All students 9th through 12th are welcome, as well as any interested staff/faculty and parents. Returning members: we will plan on electing this year’s officers at the meeting so consider running for President, Vice President, or Secretary. Each meeting attended will get your name in the drawing for some nice prizes at the end of the school year! Join our Remind by texting @twhsscu to 81010, and visit our web site at twhsscuba.club (not .com!).
Student Council would like to welcome back our Highlanders. We know this year looks a little different right now but we hope it will get back to normal soon. Student Council is an organization open to anyone that has a desire to make a difference in our school and community. Meetings are held every other Monday 6:00 p.m. in TWHS Senior Campus cafeteria. We will be reaching out via this newsletter regarding the dates that our virtual meetings will begin. We are excited to begin this school year and look forward to using your ideas to better our campus and community. Be on the lookout for dates. Wishing you an amazing school year! If you have any questions about what Student Council is feel free to email email@example.com (SR campus) -- firstname.lastname@example.org (FR campus) -- or visit our website -- www.twhsstuco.com
Practice must take place before school(6am) or after school hours( @3pm ). FINAL 🎾TRY-OUT FOR THOSE WHO MISSED ORIGINAL TRYOUT DATE WILL BE SEPT 7TH @ 10AM
PRACTICE SCHEDULE FOR FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL AUG12-14
WEDNESDAY-JV/FR @ 6-7AM VARSITY-3-5PM
THURSDAY- JV/FR-3PM-4:30 VARSITY -6-7AM
STUDENTS MUST WEAR A MASK EXCEPT WHEN ACTIVE ON COURT.
THEY WILL CHECK IN EACH DAY WITH THEIR PHONE:
students will need to check in using the QR code as they arrive each day. To use the QR Code:
- Open camera application on cell phone and scan the picture of the QR code--They do not need to take a picture of it. (Can be done from anyone's cell phone, not just the student's)
- The CISD Google form will automatically open
- The student completes each question (including Student ID number)
- The student should type their name in the last question (no abbreviations, no yes or no)
- Student should close the browser after using. This ensures that they are logging off of the system
The Woodlands High School
The Conroe Independent School District (District) is an equal opportunity educational provider and employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment matters. The District is required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Active of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Board policy not to discriminate in such a manner.
For information about Title IX rights or Section 504/ADA rights, contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA coordinator at 3205 W. Davis, Conroe, Texas 77304; (936) 709-7752.