The successful creator of Facebook
His three siblings are Randi, Donna and Arielle
His mother, Karen, worked as a psychiatrist before the children were born
Edward, his father, ran a dental practice attached to their home
At the age of 12 he created a messaging program which enabled the receptionist of the dental practice to notify his father when a patient arrived using ATARI Basic
Mark Zuckerberg is currently 31, he was about 19 when he started Facebook and the social network is now 12 years old.
The Idea for Facebook
Mark may have been the company's only CEO, but many others contributed to the creation of Facebook
The 12 Characteristics of an Entrepreneur: Mark Zuckerberg
- Donated $100 million to Newark, New Jersey Public Schools, in 2010.
- This shows him taking action in a difficult situation
- Mark had the imagination to fuel the creation of games out of his friends art!
- Facebook instituted "hackathons" held every six to eight weeks where participants would have one night to conceive of and complete a project
- The company provided music, food, and beer at the hackathons, and many Facebook staff members, including Zuckerberg, regularly attended.
- "The idea is that you can build something really good in a night", Zuckerberg says, "And that's part of the personality of Facebook now..... It's definitely very core to my personality."
- At the 2014 Mobile World Congress (MWC), Mark spoke about how Facebook's focus is on mobile technology and claimed that mobile represents the future of the company.
- Zuckerberg goes on to speak about the goal that he raised at the TechCrunch conference in September 2013, where he is working towards expanding Internet coverage into developing countries.
- Mark has turned down many offers by major corporations to buy the company.
- He says, "It's not because of the amount of money. For me and my colleagues, the most important thing is that we create an open information flow for people. Having media corporations owned by conglomerates is just not an attractive idea to me."
- Mark won prizes in math, astronomy, physics and classical studies during highschool.
- By college, Zuckerberg claimed that he could read and write French, Hebrew, Latin, and ancient Greek.
- He was captain of the fencing team at his highschool.
- In 2009, Mark was falsely portrayed in the book Accidental Millionaires, the story being completely reinvented compared to the true to life events in Mark's life.
- Based loosely off the book released in 2009, a movie called the Social Network came out which further butchered Mark's life story and motives.
- Mark was accused of stealing information and ideas from a competing social network, also started by Harvard students
- There was a lawsuit in which Facebook had to compensate for any violations
- Mark apologized for incriminating messages, and said: "If you're going to go on to build a service that is influential and that a lot of people rely on, then you need to be mature, right?" he said in an interview with The New Yorker. "I think I've grown and learned a lot."
- Mark was an excellent student, he worked extremely hard to achieve outstanding grades all throughout school.
- He was accepted into the highest ranked highschool in the US, Phillips Exeter Academy
- He went to the #1 Ivy League school in America, Harvard.
- "Rather than continuously striving to tweak and improve, some entrepreneurs grow content with what works now, almost setting it on a pedestal that one fears to fiddle with in any major way. "
- "Perhaps no Internet businessman has spit in the face of this attitude more than Mark Zuckerberg. Despite Facebook's status as a social networking giant, Zuckerberg and Co. have never shied away from changing the user interface (sometimes in the face of protests) or shaking things up in the effort to break new ground."
- Mark dropped out of Harvard in his Sophomore year to devote himself to Facebook fulltime.
Where Mark Zuckerberg/Facebook is Today:
- According to Forbes, Mark Zuckerberg's Net Worth is $45.2 Billion
- More than 1 billion users visit Facebook.com daily
- Facebook has given free basic internet to more than a billion people in 19 countries
- Mark Zuckerberg and his wife have recently welcomed a daughter, named Maxima.