Hillcrest Elementary School
September 17, 2021
Did I mention air conditioning :) With the summer like temperatures this week, we were so thankful to be learning in an air conditioned building.
I am looking forward to seeing our Grades 1, 2, 3 parents on Monday for our Primary Back to School Night. Remember that classroom presentations begin at 7 PM. Please note that Back to School Night is an overview of the “day in the life” of your child. This evening is not a good time to discuss individual concerns about your child with the teacher. Private appointments can be scheduled, with the teacher, should you need to discuss individual concerns.
Parents, please remember to complete those electronic forms mentioned in this newsletter ASAP. Many forms are due or overdue at this junction.
Wishing you an awesome weekend,
Updated Health & Safety Plan Summary of Changes:
- Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 must isolate at home for at least 7 days and until symptoms improve and they are fever-free for 24 hours without medication.
- One-time close contacts may continue in school normally unless symptoms develop.
- Ongoing close contacts must wear a mask for a minimum of one week without exception.
- At the elementary level, seats will be assigned during lunch in the cafeteria to assist with case investigations.
This week at HCE, students in every grade level had an opportunity to select their own seating during lunches. Seating is a little over 3 feet apart. Students also had opportunities to adjust, if they didn't like their initial selection. On Wednesday, we checked in with students, allowed for another opportunity to adjust seating and finally recorded student selections. Again, this is to assist with case investigations, as needed. However, we wanted to ensure that students had a say in where and with whom they sat.
Students in alternative seating remained in this section of the cafeteria, unless we heard otherwise from parents about moving. Alternative seating is 6 feet apart.
We will re-visit these seating arrangements every 4-6 weeks. This process will be less formal and will be simply announcing an opportunity to change if a student wants.
- Elementary students will board buses from the rear of the bus to the front, and individuals from the same household will sit together in the same seat on buses to the extent possible.
This is already the process at HCE. We board each bus in descending grade level order. (Grades 6-K).
Parents, please be sure to talk to your children about sitting together when possible.
- If any elementary classroom experiences 3 or more infectious cases of COVID-19 while at school within a 5-day period, the class may transition to a fully-virtual format for 7 days.
NEW DATE FOR PRIMARY BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
Our Postponed Back-to-School Night will be held on Monday, September 20th for Grades 1, 2, 3.
Classroom Presentations Begin at 7 PM
Visit Special Area Teachers from 7:45 PM- 8:15PM- Instructional Support, Instrumental Strings, Speech, Literacy Support, Art, Nurse, Guidance
Download the HCE MAP to your Phone to help with locating your classrooms.
If your child is an infrequent car-rider, please be sure to store this placard in a safe place for those random times when you will be picking up your child.
Please contact your child's homeroom teacher if you still need a placard.
- Please remember to have your PLACARD in your window as shown above
- Please pay attention to the flow of traffic; we would ask that parents refrain from being on their CELL PHONES during this time
- If you are in the Loading Line and your child is delayed exiting the building; we ask that you move up to the WAITING ZONE. (area right beyond the 1st orange cone) This will allow those cars behind you to keep moving toward the exit.
- Please try to avoid GETTING OUT OF THE CAR; as this tends to slow the entire process down.
- If your child needs more time to strap in safely, etc. you can also move up to the WAITING ZONE (Safety is our #1 priority; so please do not feel rushed to secure your child(ren) in their seats)
- Pay attention as you are exiting. A staff member may be directing you to STOP to allow a bus to enter.
Blue Lines= Buses Only & Late Drop off after 9:10 AM
Green Lines= AM/PM Car Rider Drop Off/Pick Up Only
Yellow Lines= Parent Car Rider Exit
News from the Instrumental Music Department
Students interested in starting an instrument for the first time, should return registration forms by Wednesday, September 22. Any student in grades 3-6 who want to start a string instrument or any student in grades 4-6 who want to start a band instrument are encouraged to join our groups this year! Questions? Please contact Mrs. Grant-band- (Deborah.email@example.com) or Mrs. Rudat-strings- (Lrudat@crsd.org).
IMPORTANT ELECTRONIC FORMS THAT MUST BE COMPLETED BY PARENTS THIS WEEK...
HANDBOOK PARENT SIGNATURE FORMS
Attached is the electronic Handbook Parent Signature Form. We ask that you read or review the Parent/Student Handbook and the Code of Conduct (links included) .
After you read this information with your child(ren), please complete this electronic form. The form is meant to be completed as a family; so you DO NOT need to complete separate forms if you have multiple children.
Chrome Book Update
Chrome Books will be distributed to every student next week during their assigned library class. As students bring them home, we ask that you simply charge the device and send back to school on the next day. Teachers are excited to get back to pencil and paper instruction; but there will be times when chrome books will be used during the school day.
Many parents have already completed the Chrome Book User Agreement form. We ask that you complete the attached agreement if you haven't already done so. Unfortunately, Students will not receive a Chrome Book if we don't have a completed form.
MORE IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
We (HCE) will notify parents via Blackboard Messenger should a bus experience delays in leaving Hillcrest after 4:00 PM. However, most delays take place once the bus has departed Hillcrest. We notify parents of these delays via Blackboard Messenger as soon as we are made aware of the delay within the community.
Please see below paragraph regarding AM Bus Delays.
FAMILY EDUCATIONAL TRIPS
All Council Rock students in grades 1-8 are eligible to receive a free lunch if they so desire. A student receiving a free meal must choose at least 3 items for the lunch to be considered complete as per the Department of Child Nutrition regulations, one of which must be at least a half-cup serving of a fruit or vegetable. Anything less than this will be considered an a la carte purchase and must be paid for by the student.
Snack prices depend on the items. Please note that snacks will not be served during the 1st few weeks of school.
As we begin the 2021-2022 school year, we want to inform you of our policies regarding attendance. You can read the district attendance guidelines by clicking on this button.
- Thursday, September 30th - Picture Day