What's the Buzz?
March 5, 2021
Wisdom from the Queen Bee Mrs. Starlin
I wanted to continue some ideas for helping young children learn to read.
11 ways Parents can help Their Children Read by Timothy Shanahan (you can find this article online)
- Talk to Your kids (a lot)
- Read to your kids
- Have them tell you a story
- Listen to your child read
- Promote writing
- Ask questions
- Make reading a regular activity in your home-set aside a time when everybody turns of the TV and other electronics and reads.
Counselor's Corner with Mrs. Tucker
Building Resilence with Mrs. Petrie
Hi, I am Emily Petrie. I am one of the Education Specialists for Crawfordsville Schools and a part of the corporation’s resiliency team. I am also a parent to a Crawfordsville student. I would like to share some resources with you each month to help build resilience - the capacity to recover or bounce back in difficult times.
Did you know that mandala coloring can be a strategy for building resiliency and gaining insight into our feelings? You can guide your child through this by asking them to recall an emotional experience. It could be a good experience like a party or trip, or a bad experience such as a disagreement with a friend. Have them close their eyes and think of their feelings during that situation. Then have them color the mandala using the colors and materials they choose to express the experience. Here are some places you can find free printable mandala coloring sheets. https://mondaymandala.com/m
Enjoy! I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Second Step Classroom Lessons
Second Step Lesson
Virtual Kindergarten Round-up is coming. Fill out one of the forms below if you have a child who will be 5 on or before August 1, 2021.
Calendar & Announcements
- Monday, March 8 - Snow makeup day - SCHOOL IN SESSION
- Friday, March 12 - End of 3rd grading period
- March 29-April 2 - Spring Break - No school
- UPDATE: Friday, April 16 - no school for kindergarten (staff helping with virtual roundup)
- Friday, April 23 - Snow makeup day - SCHOOL IN SESSION for ALL
- Wednesday, May 26 - Last day of school