Food and Predators
- Sea otters enjoy eating urchins, abalone, mussels, clams, crabs, and snails.
- They eat about 25% of their weight everyday.
- To open the shellfish, otters use small rocks or other objects.
- Sea otters can dive up to 330 feet just looking for food.
- Some otters are carnivores and some are omnivores.
- Great White Sharks are primary predators of the sea otters.
- Killer whales, stellar sea lions, coyotes, bears, and eagles also eat sea otters.
Sea Otter Using a Rock to Open Clams
Why are Sea Otters Endangered?
- This endangerment is caused by oil spills.
- Between 3,500 and 5,500 have been killed because of oil spills.
- There is a lack of food and more global warming.
- Sea otters get caught in fishing nets.
- Hunters have killed sea otters for their fur.
- They got many viruses and bacterial infections.