EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSING
Friday, January 12th will be a District Wide eLearning Day
Gower West & Gower Middle will be closed tomorrow for an eLearning Day
Given our Early Dismissal schedule tomorrow, the current Winter Storm Watch for our immediate area, and the high likelihood of significant snowfall impacting the morning and afternoon commutes, our school campuses will be closed and we will hold an eLearning Day at both Gower West and Gower Middle on January 12, 2024.
Hazardous road conditions are expected and precautionary action is advised. The National Weather Service forecasts several inches of snow and strong wind gusts throughout the day tomorrow impacting both the morning and afternoon commutes. Forecasts are not perfect, but they do give us good reason to take action and shift to a remote setting which works to prevent unsafe travel to and from school as hazardous weather events pass through our community. We expect classes to resume on Tuesday, January 16th, after the scheduled school holiday. Further notification will be sent if this school closure needs to be extended.
Students are expected to utilize our eLearning Day procedures (see link on our district webpage under the Parent Info tab) to be marked present. Your child's eLearning modules and/or assigned work will be available no later than 8:30 am on our eLearning day. It is important to remember that teachers and certified staff will be off site, but will be available from 8:30 am - 11:30 am for virtual support. This is an adjustment to our typical eLearning Day schedule (8:30 am - 1:30 pm) due to the scheduled early release day.
Student attendance for our eLearning day will be based on their completion of the eLearning modules and/or assigned work. If your child is unable to participate in this eLearning Day, for any reason, please contact your school office directly and our staff will work with you and try to accommodate your specific needs.
Gower School District 62 eLearning Daily Schedule
- 8:00 am - 8:30 am - Teacher planning/preparation
- 8:30 am - eLearning modules and/or assigned work posted and period of availability, student engagement, instruction, supervision and support as needed begins
- 8:30 am - 11:30 am - 3-hour block of student engagement, instruction, supervision, monitoring and support as needed (adjusted due to scheduled Early Release Day)
- 11:30 am - 12:00 pm - Teacher duty free
- 12:00 pm - 3:45 pm - Verification/assessment of student work/engagement and professional responsibilities
This notification has also been sent through our robo-call system, is posted on our school and district webpages, and is also posted on the Emergency Closing Center website.
- Dr. Simon, Superintendent of Schools