"Drank in ma cup" -Some Russian
Tania Damle, 3rd Period
What did alcohol do to Dostoevsky and his writer friends?
We're going to look at:
- Leo Tolstoy
- Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Anton Chekhov
- "Why do Men Stupefy Themselves?"
- The Imp and The Crust
- Anna Karenina
- The Devils - "The Russian God has already given up when it comes to cheap booze. The common people are drunk, the children are drunk, the churches are empty"
- Crime and Punishment - Marmeladov
- Profession vs. Belief
- The Three Sisters
How is this relevant to Crime and Punishment?
- Use of alcohol to convey different themes
- Reveals the struggles of the working class
- Gives insight into the character's true feelings.