Raymore Update 01/12/2016
Where We Celebrate All Especially the Small!
Quote of the Week
but most succeed because they are determined to. -Unknown
1-13-16 Faculty Meeting CANCELLED
1-13-16 PLC/BLT Off Site Visit
1-20-16 Marshall the Dog Assembly
- Practice with your students what the expectations are for restricted movement. Students must go into the closest room when they hear the announcement. Students are still walking in the halls, leaving classrooms, hiding in the restrooms, etc. The restriction will be lifted as soon as possible. Please remember restrictive movement can be used for various reasons not just behavior. We may need to use it for illness, emergencies, etc. Therefore, it is mandatory that you teach students the importance of going to the nearest classroom and clearing the hallways. As a teacher you should open your door and check the hallway for any students. The door should then be closed and students remain in class until further notice. We really appreciate your help with ensuring we follow through with this expectation and take it seriously.
It is time to complete your mid year PGP.
- When completing the mid year update please make sure you use your own class data (not grade level data).
- When completing the reflections on Standard 3.3 make sure you reflect on Standard 3.3 as a whole not just necessarily the data cycle. You may include reflections on the data cycle but the data cycle is just a part of Standard 3.3. This would be the same for the second standard you chose to work on as well.
- Referring back to the "Teacher Evaluation Handbook" (has been shared with you) will help with this. Go to the "Appendix B - Standards & Indicators Resources" on p. 30. If you find the standard you are working on you can look at expectations & evidence that may help you with your reflections.
- Mid year PGPs should be submitted through Talent Ed by Friday, January 29.
2. Jan. 19 is an all day PD for entire district. Below is the tentative schedule:
- 8:00-10:00 am - Guided Reading/F&P Revival (Groups: K-1 & 2-4) and Number Talks at Creekmoor. This is includes K-4 core teachers, Reading Interventionists, & Special Services
- PK-12 Counselors: Mental Health PD - Location TBA
- OTs/SLPs collab @ CM
- K-4 Art, Music, PE - TBA
- Focus Facilitators - remain at own buildings to work on data, plans, etc.
- PreK/EC/ECSE - TBA
- 10:00-2:00 pm- Travel time, lunch on own, collab implementation with your grade level from morning session, data cycles, etc.
- Counselors & DLTs LEAP CogAt & IOWA training
- 2:00-4:00 pm building PD at RE
- 2-3 pm - Google Forms & KidBlog - Seth & Kristin M.
- 3-4 pm - true meaning of collaboration - BLT facilitates
3. Melissa and I will meet with your grade levels during collab time this Friday, Jan. 15 to discuss the following topics. We will meet in your BLT rep's room:
- Winter SRI data: Questions for your grade level to think about prior to our meeting: How are you using this data to guide instructional strategies & Tiger Time groups? What ELA strategies are you implementing during Tiger Time?
- Restrictive Movement: Please ensure you have talked and practiced with your class what to do during restrictive movement. It is mandatory students are not in the halls during this time. Students need to go to the closest classroom if they can't make it to their own classroom. It will not be okay for students to hide in restrooms. Remember restrictive movement is not just used with behavior incidents. It can be used for health issues and any other emergencies. We need your help with this in order to follow our procedures. Thank you!
- Mid Year PGPs: We can help answer any questions you may have regarding mid year PGPs.
4. Feb. 15 "Invitation Only" Conferences "tentative" plan. Closer to the end of January we will start to invite parents. This is just info for you now:
- Remember we are now having our "invitation only" conferences (NOT "at risk") on Monday, Friday Feb. 15. If a parent requests a conference we of course will honor that conference.
- This is a change from the original date on the calendar due to our "Royals Celebration" day. Also remember, Tuesday, Feb. 16 students are in session. The following is the schedule for Feb. 15:
- 11:00 am - 1:00 pm - Conferences
- 1:00-3:00 pm - Lunch provided & Building PD
- 3:00-7:00 pm - Conferences
- Remember when scheduling conferences to coordinate with SpEd, Valerie Collom, siblings teachers, and specials teachers (if needed). A conference with parents should be scheduled for students who have 1's(and 2's), are in intervention, BSAT, etc. We will share a Google form like always for you to list scheduled conference times.
We had a great week back from break last week! Thank you for continuing to review procedures and routines with students. Don't forget to have those reflected in your lesson plans. Here's to another fantastic week! :)
The Return of Uncrustables
- Monitoring recess is crucial to the safety of our students. Please choose a section for each of you on duty to monitor.
- If there is a sub please have them go out with whoever is on duty. There should never be a sub and a teacher. If you are going to be absent and you have recess duty, ask a colleague to fill in for you. The sub is an extra set of eyes but doesn't know students plan.
Some New Reminders and Old
- Have class meetings to help maintain good classroom management and ease the transition back into school.
- January Lesson Plans: Please include how you are practicing routines and procedures.
- Update Sub Plans by January 15 including: Updated Class List, Plans, Seating Charts, Restrictions, 504's etc.
- Please make positive phone calls and log them in SIS.
- Please remember to call or text Jennika and Melissa if you are going to be absent. Per Board of Education policy personal days are to be arranged prior to the absence. Thank you!
- We appreciate you meeting students at your door promptly at 8:25 am to greet them each morning. We know things can happen but please make sure copies are made, errands run, etc. prior to 8:25 am. We know how important it is to greet our students and make those connections. It is also helpful to have your eyes on the hallway as well.
- It is an expectation that you are logging all contacts with parents in SIS. Please make sure you are doing this.
- It is also an expectation that targets are posted in kid friendly terms in your classroom where they can easily be accessed. Targets should also be revisited through out a lesson to ensure students understand their learning goal.
- Remember to make a positive phone call to all students' parents for second semester by winter conferences in February.
Polar Plunge Support
As Jeff Moore made reference to in his latest email regarding the Polar Plunge event for Special Olympics, for those not plunging but would love to contribute to Special Olympics and for those that love to wear jeans to work, Dr. Monsees has approved a jean's week Jan 25-29 . You can wear jeans everyday of the week for $20 or $5 a day if you choose.
If you want to participate in the jean weeks, Renee will be collecting and will turn it in to Mr. Moore. Checks make payable to Special Olympics. Money will be picked up that week.
A revised calendar for the 2015-2016 school year is posted on the District web site: http://www.raypec.k12.mo.us/DocumentCenter/View/8179
The updated calendar shows school in session on Tuesday, Feb. 16, which had been earlier designated as the first make-up day for the 2015-2016 school year. Feb. 16 is the make-up day for Tuesday, Nov. 3, when school was canceled as a result of the city-wide celebration for the Kansas City Royals.
The calendar includes two other make-up days - March 4 and 28. Any additional days would occur at the end of the school year.
Changes in Staff
If you know of anyone who would be interested in a lunchroom monitor position, please let us know.
April Bond Issue
North high school building becomes second middle school
Modifications to Bridle Ridge and Eagle Glen to serve grades K-5
Convert Shull Elementary into an Early Childhood Center
Maintenance projects throughout the District
The plan includes the most aggressive timeline possible to resolve the two-building high school situation.
Read more: http://www.raypec.k12.mo.us/index.aspx?NID=1035
- Thanks to all, especially Konnie, for keeping our building safe and up to code. We passed with our fire inspection 100%.
- We also passed our winter shut down audit! Yeah Raymore!
Use this office referral form
Please make sure you are filling out Protabula data. This information is so important for documentation. If you need support with this please let Melissa know. We may not discuss students that do not show up in the Top Ten Data. Thanks for your assistance.
Panther Cub Academy
DID YOU KNOW? PCA OFFERS TUITION DISCOUNTS TO RAY-PEC EMPLOYEES, EC/ECSE FAMILIES AND NOW OFFERING A MULTIPLE CHILD DISCOUNT?
Conferences in February
Positive Office Referral
Hallway Expectations and Dismissal Expectations
Please talk about these areas during your morning meetings!
- Hallways are becoming a tricky spot during arrival and dismissal. Please remind your students that they are to walk on the blue tile, single file, with a smile.
- Please remind car riders that they are to walk to the library on the blue tile. When entering the library their voices should be off or at a whisper so their names can be heard. They need to sit where the adults can see their eyes, not behind the tables. As the crowd clears they need to move forward toward the carpet area however they may still sit in the chairs.
Forward emails regarding dismissal changes to both Karla and Renee.
- Please remember to be at specials door :35 after to deliver & :30 to pick up.
- Fridays --jeans with Ray-Pec spirit wear.
- Classroom doors should be locked at all times and the magnet should be used to allow flow in and out of classrooms. However, we are aware there are some doors that are tricky to get to stay shut when using magnets. We do have a couple of other options we can try to help solve this problem. If you need help with this situation, please see Melissa asap and we will problem solve.
Remember to add your lesson plans to the Google RE Shared Folder each Monday by 8:25 a.m.
- It is our district and building expectation that all staff reply to communication (email and phone calls) with within a 24 hour time frame.
- If you have any pictures of great things going on in your classroom or family, please send them to Melissa. I would love to share with others in our Weekly Staff Update.
- Call or text Jennika & Melissa if you're going to be unexpectedly absent (after 4 pm day before). 816-550-4434 and 816-868-9856
- Call or text Jennika or Melissa if you will be in the building on the weekend! The lounge/workroom will be open for access to copiers.
- Remember to check the RE Shared Calendar for events! We are still adding, and things change.
Looking for previous copies of our Weekly Staff Updates? If so, these can be found on our Raymore Tigers Weebly site under "For Staff" & then click on "Raymore Update".
PLC: OUR MISSION, VISION, VALUES
As a professional learning community, we commit to three big ideas:
- Focus on Learning
- Build a Collaborative Culture
- Focus on Results
We answer four questions:
- What do we expect our students to learn? (Goals/Expectations)
- How will we know they are learning? (Assessment)
- How will we respond when they don’t learn? (DI Intervention)
- How will we respond if they already know it? (DI Extension)
To fulfill our mission & vision:
- M: Preparing each student for a successful and meaningful life
- V: Turning today's learners into tomorrow's leaders
With these commitments:
- We are committed to consistency & accountability for each student's success.
- We are committed to a system of support for students and adults.
- We are committed to a safe, trusting and collaborative environment.
- We are committed to best practices.
- We are committed to high expectations for learning, behavior and citizenship.
- We are committed to quality communication & positive relationships with all stakeholders
- We are committed to effective communication regarding student progress.
- We are committed to data-driven decision making.
- We are committed to use of appropriate channels for communication.
- We are committed to a guaranteed (consistent) and viable (doable) curriculum.
- We are committed to maintaining fiscal responsibility while improving student achievement