Crosby Scholars Senior Newsletter, September 2018
- September 3 -- Labor Day, Crosby Scholars Office Closed!
- September 6 -- CSA #3D ACT Prep: Reading & Writing
- September 7 -- SAT Registration Deadline for October 6th SAT
- September 8 -- ACT Test Date
- September 12 -- CSA #9G & 9H College Application Labs
- September 13 -- CSA #13 Destination: Community College
- September 18 -- CSA #18A Essay Writing Bootcamp
- September 19 -- CSA #11B Writing the College Admission Essay
- September 26 -- Deadline to submit Community Service Form to be entered in September's Contest!
- September 28 -- Conference Notes 1 Due
- September 30 -- CSA #6 Financial Basics for High School and Beyond Completion Deadline
So Many Academy Opportunities!
Crosby Scholar seniors are required to attend two Crosby Senior Academies (CSA) offered through December 2018. A different topic is discussed at each CSA. Online registration is required through the Crosby Scholars Student Portal. Academies will be held through March, 2018, but the majority will be held this fall. The full list of academy titles and descriptions is posted on our website. Plan wisely as we do not offer a make-up academy!
- CSA #3D ACT Prep: Reading & Writing – September 6th from 5:30-7:30pm
- CSA #9G & 9H College Application Labs – September 12th from 4:00-5:00pm & 5:15-6:15pm
- CSA #13 Destination: Community College – September 13th from 6:00-7:30pm
- CSA #18A Essay Writing Bootcamp – September 18th from 5:30-7:30pm
- CSA #11B Writing the College Admission Essay – September 19th from 6:00-7:00pm
- CSA #6 Financial Basics for High School and Beyond Completion Deadline – September 30th
Seeking Institutional Merit Aid
As you begin completing college applications, remember that a potential source of financial support is institutional merit aid—aid that comes from the college or university. Colleges and universities that award merit scholarships often have earlier application deadlines and might require an additional application form for merit aid consideration.
You can find a list of NC College Scholarship pages in your Crosby Scholars Student Portal. We hope this information will be helpful in guiding you to possible funding assistance. Schools outside of North Carolina have similar information on the financial aid sections of their websites.
Apply for QuestBridge National College Match!
The 2018 National College Match application is now open. The deadline to apply is September 27, 2018.
We are looking for high school seniors who have shown outstanding academic ability despite financial challenges.
In order to be eligible to apply to the National College Match in the fall of 2018, applicants must graduate from high school during or before the summer of 2019 and plan to enroll as a freshman in college in the fall of 2019.
The QuestBridge National College Match is open to all:
- U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents or
- Students, regardless of citizenship, currently attending high school in the United States.
*Additional Citizenship Requirements
Important considerations for students who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents, but are attending high school in the United States: Only some of our colleges will consider non-U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents for admission and full scholarships through the College Match.
Fall Fly-in Programs!
- Many colleges/universities offer fall programs to assist students to visit their campus who may not otherwise get to visit.
How do students get chosen?
- Complete an application for the school offering the fly-in program opportunity.
Where can I find a list of fly-in programs?
- Check out a complete list of fly-in programs at schools across the country at College Greenlight by clicking HERE!
August Community Service Winners!
- Yareth Alonso-Camarillo - Parkland High School
- Saven Baker -- Atkins High School
- Yvette Cuevas-Torres -- North Forsyth High School
- Desmond Dove -- Atkins High School
- Elisha Smith -- East Forsyth High School
- Mikya Wilkins -- Carter G. Woodson
Schedule a Mock Interview
Are you nervous about your upcoming college or scholarship interview? Do you feel like you need a bit more preparation? Allow Crosby Scholars to help you through the process by scheduling a mock interview between the hours of 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Experienced counselors will pose questions similar to those in a real interview to help you prepare for meeting with admission and/or scholarship committees. In addition, they will review your activities resume to suggest content you might want to emphasize during interviews. Please follow the steps below to arrange an interview:
- Send an email to email@example.com;
- Include your name and the school/scholarship for which you’re interviewing;
- Include 3 dates and times (at least one week from the date the e-mail is sent) when you can come to the Crosby office for a one-hour interview;
- Arrive on time; and
- Bring your activities resume.
We have the Resources!
- The Official ACT Prep Guide
- The Official SAT Prep Guide
- College Handbook
- Getting Financial Aid
- Scholarships Handbook
- Book of Majors
- and many more!
- Read your e-mail weekly
- Visit your Crosby Scholars student portal weekly
- Keep your contact information in your portal current, especially make sure the your email address is the one you check most often!
- Check your parent’s e-mail address in your Crosby Scholars Student Portal, and ask him/her to update it if it is not current
- Use the calendar on the Crosby website www.crosbyscholars.org as a resource
- Update your resume’ in your Crosby Scholars Student Portal
- Select 2 CSAs to attend, and mark each on your calendar
- Research how to receive your school’s scholarship newsletter
- If you were assigned an advisor, be sure to email your class schedule to your advisor. His/her email address is listed on the advisor tab of your Crosby Scholars Student Portal.
Parents can monitor their senior’s Crosby Scholars Student Portal, view announcements and events, and confirm if their senior has fulfilled each program requirement by logging into their Crosby Scholars Parent Portal. If you need assistance accessing your parent portal, call our office at 336.725.5371.
Only students who complete the Crosby Scholars Senior Program are eligible to apply for Last Dollar Grants and Crosby scholarships.