DCHS Counselor 's Corner
The DCHS Counseling NewsLetter
-------> https://www.smore.com/hbd9a <-------- LAST MONTH'S RESOURCES AND HAPPENINGS
Top Guns in the Counseling Office for Halloween.
Colorado Teens Say School Stress, Phones, Social Pressure Are Behind Growing Mental Health Issues
Over the past three years, Colorado has seen the highest increase in teen suicides in the nation — jumping 58 percent, more than twice what the nation experienced. About a third of Colorado youth report feeling sad or hopeless according to a survey of more than 50,000 middle and high school students. In short, thousands of Colorado teens are dealing with mental health issues and the everyday tensions of 21st Century life.
DCHS College Numbers
A Huskie Heard
Being mindfully present with teens and staying non-judgemental of their behaviors can increase your connection. Look for sparkling moments to connect with your teen, such as car rides or watching TV. You would be surprised how much a teen might share if you are mindfully present rather than anxiously inquisitive.
Arapahoe Community College - Career Exploration
Meeting Angela Lange
EXPELLED AND AT RISK STUDENT SERVICES (EARSS)
The DC Student Assistance Department will be working with High Schools, Alternative Education Campuses and Middle School implementing a comprehensive plan to identify and support at-risk students District wide.
Our goals are to:
- Demonstrate improvement in academic achievement
- Show improvement in attendance
- Show improvements in social emotional functioning
Our plan consists of a variety of methods:
- Area schools will have re-engagement centers staffed with teacher/mentors, counselors, social workers and mental health professionals working with identified students utilizing a multi-tiered system of supports.
- Connect families with a community resources that provides assistance with early intervention, comprehensive assessment and improved access to appropriate services in Douglas County
- Expand substance abuse classes and tutoring support for students
- Provide targeted professional development with a focus of increasing culturally responsive truancy intervention practices to staff members
Understanding and Supporting Gender Diversity in Schools - Todd Savage Class
- enhance awareness of gender identity and gender diversity matters in schools from multiple perspectives,
- use tools to not only to assess a system’s readiness to accommodate transgender and gender diverse students but to determine the support and transition needs of individual gender diverse youth, and
- employ strategies to support transgender and gender diverse students and to improve school climates as they pertain to gender diversity.