Dolphin Parent Connection
April 2018 Volume 3, Issue 7
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
National Autism Awareness Month
School Library Month
Month of the Military Child
National Child Abuse Prevention Month
· Monday, April 2nd -- Friday, April 6th: Spring Break
· Tuesday, April 10th: PTA Board Meeting @ 1:30 PM
· Tuesday, April 10th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 3:00-4:25 PM
· Tuesday, April 10th: Art Club @ 3:00-4:00 PM (spring club members)
· Wednesday, April 11th: Anchored4Life Activity Groups
· Wednesday, April 11th: SCA Meeting @ 3:00-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, April 11th: Helping Hands @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, April 11th: Minecraft Club @ 3:00-3:50 PM (Science Lab)
· Thursday, April 12th: Spring Pictures & Grade 5 Group Picture (Make-ups are on Saturday, May 12th 9:00-12:00 PM at LifeTouch Studio 121 Landmark Square, Virginia Beach, VA 23452--no appointment necessary)
· Thursday, April 12th: Spirit Night at Lucky Oyster @ 5:00-8:00 PM (POSTPONED UNTIL May 3rd)
· Friday, April 13th: Purple Up Day (wear purple in support of our military children)
· Friday, April 13th: End of 3rd Marking Period
· Monday, April 16th: Grade 1 Gifted Testing for Select Students
· Monday, April 16th: Minecraft Club @ 3:00-3:50 PM
· Tuesday, April 17th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:10 PM
· Wednesday, April 18th: Anchored4Life Activity Groups
· Wednesday, April 18th: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Thursday, April 19th: Grade 1 Performance How Does My Garden Grow @ 6:30 PM
· Thursday, April 19th: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Friday, April 20th: Helping Hands Spring Flower Sale Order Forms Due
· Friday, April 20th: Grade 4 Jamestown Outreach
· Friday, April 20th: Talent Show Auditions @ 3:00 PM (Audition info will be emailed 4/10)
· Monday, April 23rd: Volunteer Breakfast @ 8:30 AM
· Monday, April 23rd: Minecraft Club @ 3:00-3:50 PM
· Tuesday, April 24th: Kindergarten Registration (and new 1st graders) for 2018-19 School Year @ 9:00 AM
· Tuesday, April 24th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 3:00-4:25 PM
· Tuesday, April 24th: Art Club @ 3:00-4:00 PM (spring club members)
· Wednesday, April 25th: Report Cards Issued for 3rd Marking Period
· Wednesday, April 25th: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Thursday, April 26th: Helping Hands Spring Flower Sale Pick-up @ 4:30-6:00 PM
· Thursday, April 26th: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Friday, April 27th: Grade 1 Field Trip to Portsmouth Children's Museum
· Monday, April 30th: Talent Show Rehearsal @ 3:00 PM (Cafe)
· Tuesday, May 1st: STEM/Robotics Club @ 3:00-4:25 PM
· Wednesday, May 2nd: SCA Meeting @ 3:00-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, May 2nd: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Thursday, May 3rd: Grade 5 Visit to Princess Anne Middle @ 9:30 AM
· Thursday, May 3rd: Tutoring (Grades 3-5) for Select Students @ 3:00-4:00 PM
· Thursday, May 3rd Spirit Night at Lucky Oyster @ 5:00-9:00 PM
· Friday, May 4th: PTA Spring Fling and Talent Show at Hunt Club Farm @ 5:00-8:00 PM
Spring pictures will be taken on Thursday, April 12th. Order forms will be sent home with students this week. You can also order online at https://lifetouch.com/school-pictures/
Red Mill's Picture Day ID is VA507207Q0
Parks and Recreation Summer Camps
Camp Invention is Returning to Red Mill This Summer
Robotic Pet Vet™, one of Camp Invention’s brand new 2018 activities, will transport campers into the world of innovation and veterinary medicine. Throughout this activity, campers will diagnose puppy problems, design and build dog parks and customize their own robotic dogs to take home at the end of the week!
This is just one of the activities campers will explore and create during Camp Invention this summer at Red Mill. Come join the fun from July 9 – July 13 from 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Camp Invention is for children entering Kindergarten through 6th grade this coming fall. Students entering 7th – 9th grade can participate as a Counselor-in-Training.
The price for the week remains $230. Register by May 4th to save $15. Use promo code IDEAS15. You may register at campinvention.org or call 800-968-4332. Contact Terry Quinn at Theresa.Quinn@vbschools.com if you have any questions.
We can’t wait to see your child this summer!
Red Mill Yearbook Preorders
Pre-orders for the 2017-18 RMES yearbook are available for students. All yearbooks will be hardcover and full page color! You may pre-order a yearbook for $20. Yearbooks will remain on sale all school year long while supplies last! You may preorder at school with an order form or order online at ybpay.lifetouch.com with code 13007618.
Helping Hands Club News
- The Helping Hands Flower Sale is going on now. Orders are due by Friday, April 20th. See below for order form. Flower pick-up will be on Thursday, April 26th from 4:30-6:00 PM.
- Come join us for a Red Mill Spirit Night on Thursday, May 3rd at Lucky Oyster to raise $$ for the fish and beautification of our front entrance and atrium.
- We would love to have your help on Saturday, May 12th as we work to spring clean our atrium. We will be working from 9:00-12:00 in the morning.
- Remember, the Helping Hands Club will take your used shoes/never worn shoes, bras, blankets, coats, and used towels. We will also take your extra toiletries such as travel-sized tooth brushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. We try to recycle/upcycle everything that we can at Red Mill. You can also bring your empty egg cartons, and we will be sure one of our local egg farmers has a great supply.
- April 9: “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” Dr. Seuss
- April 16: “The past is like using your rear-view mirror in the car. It’s good to glance back and see how far you’ve come, but if you stare too long, you’ll miss what’s right in front on you.
- April 23: “When things aren’t adding up in your life, start subtracting.” Dr. Seuss
- April 30: “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” Teddy Roosevelt
- May 7: “Don’t expect your friend to be a perfect person. But, help your friend to become a perfect person. That is true friendship.” Mother Teresa
- May 14: “ Anything is possible. Anything can be.” Shel Silverstein
- May 21: “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” Dr. Seuss
- May 28: “Whatever you are, be a good one.” President Abraham Lincoln
April 13th is PURPLE UP day! Wear purple to show your support for military kids!
Volunteers Needed for VBCPS Advisory Committees
The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach is seeking parents, community members and staff to serve as members of either the Special Education Advisory Committee or the Gifted Education Advisory Committee. Terms of service begin July 1, 2018. In order to serve on a School Board committee, members must live within the City of Virginia Beach. In some instances, participants are selected to represent specific zones within the city. In those cases, the volunteer must reside within the designated area. Community members interested in serving on an advisory committee should submit an application and a letter of interest to the clerk of the School Board at Dianne.firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. April 15. Applications submitted via U.S. Mail must be postmarked on or before April 15, 2018. For more information, go to http://www.vbschools.com/volunteers/action/index.asp
School Counseling Program Notes
Guidance classroom lesson topics for April will include career exploration and managing feelings. Fifth graders will work on their Academic and Career Plans using Google Classroom. Also Small Group Counseling opportunities will continue with deployment support and managing feelings groups. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Draughon, our School Counselor at 648-3572 or by email at Marilyn.Draughon@vbschools.com. Mrs. Draughon is available to discuss your child's academic and social/personal needs.