Hellstern Middle School Newsletter, Springdale, AR
2019-2020 Issue 29, March 16, 2020
News from today, March 18, 2020
- Our staff has been communicating every day about resources that are on-line. Please know, your child will NOT be penalized for not being able to do assignments, applications, etc. We are just offering you these options, in case they can.
- All tryouts and applications for various electives are obviously postponed and we will have dates published as soon as we know them.
- If students would like to be in Select Drama next year, please have them join this Google Classroom: k5emmqq. In this classroom, I will be discussing how students can audition via video.
- Here is the Google Classroom code for Stagecraft Applications: jwcbaye. Students will be able to upload their applications to that Google Classroom.
- Here is the link for the application for CURRENT 6th graders that are not currently in EAST but would like to be next year.
- Mr. Thompson & Mrs. Harrison have been sending daily updates from Hellstern. Here is today's video. If you want to see the video from Monday & Tuesday you can go to our webpage and look at the news feed or check out Facebook.
- Our counselors have written a letter to students, check it out!
- Two maps came out today to explain how traffic will work for the free chicken pick-up on Friday at SHS. Please view these to know how traffic will work. Map #1 Map #2
News as of Tuesday evening, March 17, 2020
2. Many of you have inquired about returning enrollment information. Please hold these documents until students return. All of our current students and feeder-school students will be given first priority for registration. We will be in contact with a plan for returning all of this information.
3. Students DO NOT need to complete Days 6-10 of the AMI packet. Next week is spring break and they do not need to work on AMI on those days.
4. Please encourage your child to reach out to his/her teachers. They ARE working this week and would LOVE to hear from their students.
5. Happy St. Patrick's day!!
NO SCHOOL THIS WEEK - We will use alternate methods of instruction.
Our alternate method of instruction (AMI) days started, Monday, March 16th. Students all went home with a packet of assignments on Friday. We will be out five days this week, so at the very least, students will be responsible for five days of AMI work. Teachers and staff will be available for questions during normal business hours. Contact information is in the packet.
All AMI assignments are available on-line. Many teachers will also be accessing online learning platforms like Google Classrooms, Schoology, etc.
We will send info as soon as we have it about rescheduling parent-teacher conferences.
You should have gotten a packet of information regarding registration & enrollment for next year that was to be returned at conference time. We will accept this information in our office or you can send with your child when he/she returns.
As of right now, Sunday, our HMS office will be open this week from 7:30-4:30pm.
Register for NEXT YEAR's Hero Happenings! Newsletter
Where to find information:
Since we are out this week - I will try and send email updates as news becomes available.
Here is a link to the cover letter that was on AMI packets sent with your child on Friday. It is available to you in three languages. Here is a list of teachers' email addresses so you or your student can always email them at any time.
Our Maker Carts launched this week!!!
Census Video - English
Census Video - Spanish
Census Video - Marshallese
Please give us feedback about Hellstern. We are always looking for ways to get better!
HMS Tryout/Audition Information (for rising 7th graders)
*You must have a completed physical in order to tryout for Springdale athletic teams.We are collecting this information and will continue to update this list as dates are settled:
Girls Basketball - tryouts on March 31st & April 1st
Boys Basketball - tryouts on April 13th (4-5:30pm)
Girls Volleyball - tryouts on May 4th & 5th
Football - students will request this in their schedule and there will be a parent meeting TBA
Cross-Country - no tryouts, request in your schedule
Cheer - Postponed - will reschedule
Band - Auditions during school May 4-7, parent meeting May 7 @ 6:30pm
Boys' & Girls' Honor Choir - Auditions during school May 4-7
Select Drama - auditions during Hero Hour (March 16th-20th)
Stagecraft - Application due on March 20th
Advanced Art - Application due on March 20th
EAST - Application due on March 20th
CJHS Tryout Information (for rising 8th graders)
- April 2nd from 5-6pm @ CJHS
- Coach Temple & Banister
- 2nd week of April
- Coach Sutherland & Luther
- tryouts May 4th-7th
- Coach Doherty or Coach Bailey
- Parent info night - April 28th @ 6pm
- No tryouts - contact Coach Watson, Coach Jones, Coach Thompson, or Coach Foringer if interested
- Parent information meeting 2nd week of May
- No tryouts. Contact Coach Sullivan if interested
- contact Dr. Coker or Mrs. Sangster if new to band
- contact Mrs. Watt if new to choir
Meet Our Heroes!
16th - 20th - AMI days - students work from home
16th - 20th: CANCELLED: Book fair in the library all week
17th-19th - POSTPONED: Select Drama tryouts during Hero Hour
17th - POSTPONED: HMS Cheer Clinic (for rising 7th graders) - 3:30-5:30pm
18th - POSTPONED: HMS Cheer Tryout (for rising 7th graders) - 3:30-5:30pm
18th - CANCELLED: Art field trip to Crystal Bridges
19th - CANCELLED: Slim Chicken's Fundraiser night (4-9pm)
23rd-27th - Spring Break
17th - Select Drama Performance for the public (6pm)
20th - 24th - ACT Aspire Testing Week
28th - Band Concert @ PAC (7pm)
4th-7th - Band Tryouts during school (current 6th graders)
4th - Choir Concert @ HBHS PAC (7pm)
11th & 12th - Current 5th graders visit HMS during school
11th - 6th grade UA field trip - Olympians & Legends
12th - 6th grade UA field trip - AllStars & Avengers
13th - Naturals Ballgame (all students)
15th - 6th grade UA field trip - Defenders & Chargers