Decatur Weekly Newsletter
May 28, 2021
We're Almost There!
Hey Gators. The countdown has switched to days! You have 9 hybrid/synchronous days left of school, 6 if you're a Senior. For those of you that are doing really well in your classes, way to go! For those of you that have a lot of work to do, you can do anything for 3 weeks. You just need to push to get it done. Seniors, it's crunch time.
This week and next week's newsletter is going to be heavily focused on Seniors but there is still information for underclassmen such as the AP testing schedule for the week, the crunch to complete your "I" contracts and the apprenticeship opportunity.
Normally I would tell you all to rest up this weekend but if you're behind in your classes, please do everything you can to get caught up.
Seniors, if you receive a message on Monday that you need to attend a support session on Wednesday, you need to be there. It means you have not completed a graduation requirement and you will not be able to attend the ceremony and graduate if you don't get the work done. More information in the newsletter below.
IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED YOUR HSBP, YOU DO NOT GRADUATE OR GET TO WALK IN THE CEREMONY. WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT WE CAN GET YOUR HSBP SIGNED OFF AND CLEARED IF YOU DO NOT SUBMIT BY JUNE 3RD. The Senior Support message will not go to all Seniors, it will only go to those that need to attend that weeks' support session. Each week will have a specific focus. We want you be there to walk at graduation so let's get caught up!
Please stay safe, enjoy your sunny 3-day weekend, be sun-safe and remember the words of former Gator, Dom Cook, "It is, and always is, a great day to be a Gator! Yitadee!!!"
Upcoming AP Tests This Week
Here are the tests happening next week:
- English Lit & Comp Q2/4: 6/1 - 8:30am
- European History Q2/4: 6/2 - 8:30a
- Psychology Q2/4: 6/3 - 12:30pmm
- US History Q2/4: 6/02 - 8:30am
- World Hist Modern Q2/4: 6/03 - 8:30am
- Music Theory *: Report to Decatur 6/4 at 11:30am
Important Message for Seniors That Have Not Completed Their HSBP
HSBP is a state graduation requirement. You will not graduate or receive a diploma without fully completing this requirement.
We have the following opportunities for you to receive support for completing the HSBP
Senior Support Nights: All nights from 5:30-7:30pm
- June 3rd
- Zoom Link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/99939262819
- Once a week SEL/CCR drop in with counselors and college and career team
- Wednesdays Drop in for Senior HSBP (and Senior Advisor)
- Zoom Link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/95404658496
- Virtual Career Centers
- Wednesdays 11:30 AM-2:00 PM
- Zoom Link: https://fwps.zoom.us/j/91683916372
Seniors, please check your email Tuesday morning for a message from me (Ms. Tough) about in-person supports available for seniors with "I" contracts and incomplete HSBPs.
Last Quarter to Complete "I" Contracts
Senior Scholarship Opportunity
The $1,000 Golden Gator Scholarship is now open! To apply, seniors must have a 3.0 GPA, be in good standing, participated each year in a DHS club or activity and have been enrolled all 4 years at Decatur. Applicants will need to write a two-page essay and include their transcript and a confidential letter of recommendation. Seniors will email their submissions to Ms. Novak at email@example.com by June 1, 2021. Go to https://www.fwps.org/domain/1133 for more information on requirements and the essay prompt. The application submission deadline is this Tuesday, June 1st.
Apprenticeship Opportunity for Juniors and Seniors
Decatur HS is looking for two candidates (juniors or seniors) for the Summer 2021 High School Sheet Metal Pre-Apprenticeship class. During this 6-week program where you will learn skills in the sheet metal trade, including industry math, fabrication and welding. If you are interested in being nominated then please email me by June 17.
School-Based Health Center Now Open for Decatur Students
We’re so lucky to have a School Based Health Center that can serve our Decatur High School students’ needs!
Remember, if your child needs medical or mental health services, these are available at no cost to your student.
Whether your child needs a sports physical, immunizations, primary care, mental health counseling, or other medical needs, make an appointment by calling the TAF@Saghalie School Based Health Center at 253-804-3589. Appointments for in-person, telephone, or virtual visits.
Safety is a Top Priority
Here are some important reminders for scholars returning for in-person learning:
- All staff and scholars are required to wear masks at ALL times at our school campus and on the bus. If a scholar doesn't comply with wearing a mask, the school principal will call the parent/guardian to come and pick up the child.
- Social distancing will be enforced in all areas and there will be regular handwashing throughout the day.
- Visitors will not be allowed on campus in order to minimize the number of people on campus.
- You can find more details around our safety protocols in our Hybrid Model Family Guide at: https://www.fwps.org/hybridmodelfamilyguide or the Hybrid Model Staff Guide at: https://www.fwps.org/hybridmodelstaffguide
Timely Updates from Superintendent Dr. Campbell
Please be sure to reference Dr. Campbell’s Friday e-Newsletter for the most up-to-date information related to our planning for in-person learning.
School Buildings Closed to the Public
Thank you for your understanding.